Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > Health and Fitness Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-13-2016, 01:25 PM

oh, and i did go to a doctor once, but i'm guessing he sucked. i randomly picked an orthopedist back in 2008. i should have looked for a recommendation or something. he took an mri, didn't take me seriously, said, oh you don't need a knee replacement, but i guess you can get physical therapy if you want. by that point, my knee wasn't hurting, so i was like, okay i guess i won't. it stopped hurting for years after that. it was always sort of weak feeling though.
Spoiler:
Old 02-13-2016, 01:26 PM

the one i'm going to in a week and a half was recommended to me by my pcp for my back though, not my knee. when i called they said she looks at knees too though.
Spoiler:
Old 02-25-2016, 01:03 AM

so i went to a doctor yesterday and told her it's definitely my knee that's the problem, but my hip hurts too a lot of the time, but i think that's connected to my knee issues. but at that point, nothing hurt, so i wasn't sure what to say. she moved stuff around in both my hip and knee and the only thing that caused me horrific pain was in my hip and now it still hurts. so now i have no ****ing clue.

i'm getting an mri of my knee on saturday, but now i'm thinking my hip might be in bad shape and it's not my knee at all. ugh i have no idea. all this stuff is connected and the hip and thigh pain is on the same leg as the knee pain. it's really hard to tell what the source is. my hip and thigh had hurt a lot lately though, so maybe that's more of an issue than my knee. maybe i need to call the doctor back and ask to get an mri of my hip too, or just wait for the mri results of my knee and talk to her when i go back for that.

pain is stress and i'm drunk. alcohol helps mask the pain.
Spoiler:
Old 02-25-2016, 01:06 AM

she was hesitant to even bother with an mri of my knee because i had one in 2008, but i was like, i love mri's DO IT!

i like laying in the tube and pretending that i'm dead.
Spoiler:
Old 02-25-2016, 10:45 AM
SOA

Studying for Exam C
College: University of Central Oklahoma

If you can type that well while drunk, you aren't drunk enough!

If your knee was the original problem and your hip started hurting afterwards, I would assume that the two are related. I think you probably altered your posture to alleviate the pain of your knee and put undue stress on your hip.

I hope everything goes well on Saturday and it's nothing serious.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:10 PM

yeah, maybe. it was the original problem and I'm almost positive they are related, but when she hurt my hip, I was like, oh I think you just pulled something, but I don't think that's really it. it's the same pain I have been feeling with my hip and that exacerbated it.

I still think I should get an mri of my knee, but wondering if I should get something on my hip too. I think I'm gonna try calling her tomorrow since she's closed now. I'm assuming you can't do 2 mri's at the same time anyway, so it would be irrelevant though and would have to schedule the other one at a later date. I just don't want a not real diagnosis. I'm guessing the mri of my knee won't show anything more than it did when I did it in 2008.

the one in 2008 showed that some part of my knee is placed too high and that's causing me issues. she claims that it has nothing to do with falling on it when I was 12 and that it's just my bone structure, but I'm skeptical of that because that's when my issues started, when I fell.
Spoiler:
Old 02-25-2016, 05:12 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
You still talking about knee replacement surgery before investigating various non-surgical treatments and less drastic knee surgeries?
Sounds like he hasn't investigated any other options at all. WTF is this guy's problem? His Health and Fitness threads are worse than his Political threads. Yikes imo
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree
Old 02-25-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunken Actuary View Post
Sounds like he hasn't investigated any other options at all. WTF is this guy's problem? His Health and Fitness threads are worse than his Political threads. Yikes imo
I'm not sure he's for real, but it gave me a good thread to whine about my issues.
Spoiler:
Old 02-26-2016, 12:39 PM

they said they can't just quickly add an mri of a hip to a knee mri and I have to go back to the doctor and ask for one if I need one.
Spoiler:
Old 02-26-2016, 12:53 PM

Get a PT prescription, make sure you go to a place that caters to athletes and not old people, and have them evaluate you. You're probably making all sorts of compensating movements that are causing your pain, and where you feel the pain is not necessarily where the problem it.