Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-14-2016, 11:52 AM

Default ILTCI Predictive Analytics Workshop

The ILTCI conference in Jacksonville, FL in late March, 2017 will provide a post-conference full-day workshop on predictive analytics for LTC. Pre-workshop preparation for this $99 workshop will be necessary. It will involve learning R (2-8 hours, depending on experience) and studying various statistical techniques (roughly 4 hours).

To facilitate this learning, this thread will be used for Q&A during the learning process.

The homework/resources will be found on the ILTCI website around Thanksgiving.

We look forward to hearing from you and seeing you at the workshop!
Old 03-09-2017, 11:03 AM
SOA

College: Purdue University: Alumnus 2002
Default Which version of R is required for the workshop?

I can't just download R on my work machine without HR admin intervention. We already have 3.3.1 and I see that version 3.3.3 just came out. My IT group is worried about users from different departments using different versions. Will 3.3.1 work for this workshop or will I need the most recent version?
Old 03-16-2017, 04:19 PM

Default Which version of R?

Version 3.3.1 of R will work fine for the workshop. We also recommend installing the RStudio IDE, as the workshop will be lead using RStudio. However, if you organization does not allow you to install RStudio, base R will work fine.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:39 AM
SOA AAA

College: MIT '82
Default Can you post list of R packages required for workshop?

Can you post a listing of all R packages that will be used in the workshop? I need to pre-load them this week while in the office and can get temp admin rights for my laptop. Others will be in the same situation I am sure. At a seminar last year, the instructors were using non-standard (but common) packages that I could not get access to in real time.

In one of the pre-reads for this workshop there is a listing of packages used in last year's seminar; I'm going to start with that set. Still, it would be very helpful to have a definitive list in advance this year. I would consider it a best practice for educational seminars like this, where participants may have stringent limitations on external software downloads.

Also, my company's latest version is R 3.3.0 - hopefully that will be good enough.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:28 PM
SOA

Version 3.3.0 will work for the workshop. Below is code you can run to install all the packages required for the workshop.

################################################## ########################################
# Purpose: Install packages needed for the workshop
################################################## ########################################

# Only install packages that you currently don't have
# Do not re-run this installation everytime
install.packages("data.table")
install.packages("dplyr")
install.packages("ggplot2")
install.packages("plotly")
install.packages("lubridate")
install.packages("scales")
install.packages("glmnet")
install.packages("broom")
install.packages("Matrix")
install.packages("doParallel")
install.packages("stringr")
install.packages("survival")
install.packages("eha")
install.packages("AER")
install.packages("car")
install.packages("lmtest")
install.packages("zoo")
Old 03-26-2017, 02:16 PM
SOA

Thank you for registering for the all-day Predictive Analytics workshop! The workshop directly follows the ILTCI conference on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 and will deliver material on more advanced techniques in the analysis of long-term care insurance experience.

As a reminder, this workshop will be taught using the free software package R. As well, several statistical concepts will be assumed. Materials on R and these statistical concepts can be found at http://www.iltciconf.org/predictivem...gmaterials.htm. Anticipate anywhere from 5 to 13 hours to complete your review of these material.

Please perform the following action items before the workshop:
1. Install R and RStudio through the ILTCI link above
2. Install packages using the attached R program 0001 - Install packages.R. This code needs to be run only once and can take time to do so such that it is preferable that it be run before arriving at the workshop.
3. Create the following two directories on your C-drive:
C:\ILTCI_Workshop\Data\
C:\ILTCI_Workshop\Output\
4. Download the data for the workshop from the ILTCI link above and then unzip it to C:\ILTCI_Workshop\Data\
5. Be on the lookout for another email providing R programs that we will be using during the workshop

If you have any questions on these pre-workshop materials or tasks, the team will be available to answer questions on Sunday 3:00-5:00 at a table outside the exhibit hall.

We look forward to seeing you in Jacksonville!

The Predictive Analytics Workshop Team

Tags
artificial intelligence, data science, machine learning, predictive analytics