Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytcs Recruitment
Download our 2016 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 09-14-2017, 12:02 PM
mathmajor's Avatar
mathmajor mathmajor is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Nowhere in particular
Studying for Nothing!
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: Cap'n & Coke
Posts: 7,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilekOyote View Post
I had an interview recently where I was scheduled for a full day of interviewing with an hour blocked out for lunch.

They sat me alone in a conference room with a boxed lunch from Panera and a diet Coke.
1) I can't eat wheat.
2) I hate diet Coke (really any diet drinks).

=> I had an apple and a bag of chips for lunch. So I twiddled my thumbs and tried not to fall asleep for 55 minutes.


This was really just the beginning of the odd behavior. In retrospect, I should've just told the receptionist that if there wasn't anything scheduled I'd just fend for myself for lunch, tyvm. In even more retrospect, I should've just strolled.
Are you serious? If I sit for 20 minutes for nothing, I'm gone. That's complete disrespect for your time. If you were an hour late, would the interviewers sit around waiting for you? Doubtful.

If you want good candidates, sell the job, yourselves and the company. If you want desperate people, pull these shenanigans.
__________________
FSA
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-14-2017, 12:10 PM
royevans royevans is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
Are you serious? If I sit for 20 minutes for nothing, I'm gone. That's complete disrespect for your time. If you were an hour late, would the interviewers sit around waiting for you? Doubtful.

If you want good candidates, sell the job, yourselves and the company. If you want desperate people, pull these shenanigans.
yeah that one sucks, but what would you do if there are no restaurants in the area? Ask someone to bring you different lunch?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09-14-2017, 12:17 PM
Abelian Grape's Avatar
Abelian Grape Abelian Grape is offline
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 36,888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
If I were the interviewer, assuming I hadn't quit already I would have been so embarrassed that I would have paid for both lunches out of pocket.
This, pretty hard.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-14-2017, 12:21 PM
YetAnotherCareerChanger's Avatar
YetAnotherCareerChanger YetAnotherCareerChanger is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Studying for 5
Posts: 2,215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjvj View Post
I'd think that if you had celiac or whatever and knew you were gonna be there for lunch, you'd have mentioned it beforehand. I'd think you should know how it takes some planning as someone who eats wheat-free every day. I think it's kind of dickish to not say anything in advance, then be annoyed at what you get.
While I agree with this, I've always been asked if I have any food allergies/preference before lunch interviews. I've also never paid for a lunch interview or been left on my own for lunch.

Admittedly a limited sample size of the interview space.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09-14-2017, 12:26 PM
Ninja Warrior Ninja Warrior is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,048
Default

That's really cheap and reflects poorly on the company.

A good company would have let other associates or analysts to take you to lunch at a nice restaurant. It is more relaxed and gives you opportunity to see if you like to work with the people there.

I would frown upon any companies that offer boxed lunches. I am sorry, with all the preparation work I am doing for an interview, I would expect the company will do more to make me feeling welcome.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 09-14-2017, 12:28 PM
WilekOyote's Avatar
WilekOyote WilekOyote is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjvj View Post
I'd think that if you had celiac or whatever and knew you were gonna be there for lunch, you'd have mentioned it beforehand. I'd think you should know how it takes some planning as someone who eats wheat-free every day. I think it's kind of dickish to not say anything in advance, then be annoyed at what you get.
I had assumed we were going someplace. I have never failed to be able to find something to eat at any restaurant. So I didn't assume it would be an issue.

I was not informed I would be getting a box lunch from Panera, nor asked my preferred beverage.

I didn't let on that I was annoyed, they probably think I cleaned my plate like a good interviewee.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
Are you serious? If I sit for 20 minutes for nothing, I'm gone. That's complete disrespect for your time. If you were an hour late, would the interviewers sit around waiting for you? Doubtful.

If you want good candidates, sell the job, yourselves and the company. If you want desperate people, pull these shenanigans.
Oh, that was just one of the first shenanigans. The time wasting was epic.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-14-2017, 12:31 PM
WilekOyote's Avatar
WilekOyote WilekOyote is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 195
Default

I feel that lunch interviews give the interviewer a perspective on the interviewee that is important. Both in how they interact socially and in overall demeanor.

I have interviewed people that "let loose" a bit too much at lunch and destroyed their chances at the job. I have also seen people use that opportunity to really shine and be able to fill in some of the info that doesn't fit well onto a resume, or elaborate on things they have done, or want to do. I believe they are very useful.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-14-2017, 12:41 PM
Childish Gambino's Avatar
Childish Gambino Childish Gambino is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 19,524
Default

My old company did commit one of these lunch interview faux pas one time. We took them to a decent place and paid and all that. The problem is that being the interviewer to get a free lunch had become quite popular. So there were 3 people for each of the two interviewees we had that day. At some point we all agree to go together, table of 8, 2 candidates who know there is only one job and SIX people firing questions at them. I thought it would be a lighter, getting to know you session but certain people there were asking tough questions, behavioral questions, technology questions. It was a real mess. The one guy kept trying to take a bite but he couldn't fit it in between answers and the other person kept trying to one-up him.

I ended up having to kick everyone out and rearrange the rest of the interview schedule so these poor people could actually eat. I really dropped the ball that day.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudolus View Post
Trump's biggest weakness is that he utterly lacks the knowledge, experience, interest, attention span, temperament, and common decency to be the marginally effective President of a reasonably-large HOA.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-14-2017, 12:53 PM
yoyo's Avatar
yoyo yoyo is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 20,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilekOyote View Post
Oh, that was just one of the first shenanigans. The time wasting was epic.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 09-14-2017, 12:54 PM
yoyo's Avatar
yoyo yoyo is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 20,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
My old company did commit one of these lunch interview faux pas one time. We took them to a decent place and paid and all that. The problem is that being the interviewer to get a free lunch had become quite popular. So there were 3 people for each of the two interviewees we had that day. At some point we all agree to go together, table of 8, 2 candidates who know there is only one job and SIX people firing questions at them. I thought it would be a lighter, getting to know you session but certain people there were asking tough questions, behavioral questions, technology questions. It was a real mess. The one guy kept trying to take a bite but he couldn't fit it in between answers and the other person kept trying to one-up him.

I ended up having to kick everyone out and rearrange the rest of the interview schedule so these poor people could actually eat. I really dropped the ball that day.
sounds like you recovered well and saved the situ
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.35701 seconds with 9 queries