Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-22-2018, 02:52 PM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

I wish there was some way to get myself to not do that. It gets annoying. Why can't I just go by the hardware store tonight on the way home from work and pick up some primer and trim paint, then have the trim done before I go to bed tonight? Because I'm not going to feel like it, that's why.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:12 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividox View Post
I wish there was some way to get myself to not do that. It gets annoying. Why can't I just go by the hardware store tonight on the way home from work and pick up some primer and trim paint, then have the trim done before I go to bed tonight? Because I'm not going to feel like it, that's why.
I actually had a productive weekend. Got the wires glued down on the Magnepans, so they do function properly now. Ordered capacitors for the crossovers, and bought fabric - the wife is making me new socks.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:19 AM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
I actually had a productive weekend. Got the wires glued down on the Magnepans, so they do function properly now. Ordered capacitors for the crossovers, and bought fabric - the wife is making me new socks.
Me too! Last Wednesday after work I went by the hardware store and got paint supplies, then went home, moved everything in the studio and got the trim started. I gave it a second coat this weekend and took out all the anchors in the wall and puddied them. I've got dinner plans tonight, but I'm planning on sanding, priming, and taping tomorrow night so I can paint the walls either Thursday or Friday. That'll at least get the painting stuff done so I can move on to building frames for acoustic absorbers.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:41 AM
SOA

I never thought of Steve Winwood's "Higher Love" as an audiophile recording. But the percussion at the beginning was some of the most "live"-sounding stuff I've ever heard. I mean, it really sounded like they were right here in the room.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:08 AM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Painting is just about finished. I need to do a little bit of touch up tonight and then I'm ready to get the studio back in order. Next part is building acoustic absorbers!
Old 02-11-2018, 01:40 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividox View Post
Painting is just about finished. I need to do a little bit of touch up tonight and then I'm ready to get the studio back in order. Next part is building acoustic absorbers!
Nice! You're making progress.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:14 AM
SOA

This receiver (last year's flagship) has been offered for a tantalizingly low sale price for a couple of months:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_642SR7...tz-SR7011.html

Yes, I already have a Marantz receiver (SR5011). But I don't like its version of Audyssey. I had tried the in between model (SR6011), but convinced myself at the time it wasn't worth the extra cash. When using Direct (and/or Pure Direct) mode, there is very little difference in sound, if any. But all other modes sound better to me with the higher level Audyssey that comes on the SR6011 and this model.

Also, this model would allow two different calibrations for two different subwoofers, which I may want to do one day. I'll definitely want two subs one day. But most receivers just do one calibration for the subs, which is fine if your two subs are the exact same. But if I want to keep my current sub and add on a better one, then this type of calibration could be a big help.

It would probably be smarter to just wait a few years until I move and can do a dedicated home theater, and then just upgrade all kinds of stuff at once. For now, I can't really do Atmos, because there's no way my wife is going to let me install ceiling speakers in this house.

But, man, this thing is tempting me...

Last edited by Egghead; 03-03-2018 at 09:15 AM..
Old 03-03-2018, 02:09 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
This receiver (last year's flagship) has been offered for a tantalizingly low sale price for a couple of months:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_642SR7...tz-SR7011.html
You can get it a few $hundred cheaper than that if you buy an authorized refurb: https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-w/heos/1.html
Old 03-03-2018, 02:36 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Thatís pretty cool, I wish I had independent EQ for each sub. I did until my MiniDSP stopped working! It was really slick, but really buggy.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:03 PM
SOA

More and more lately, I end up working late into the night. I really like listening to my big audio setup while I do, but then I have to use my laptop, and that's not the most efficient way to get work done, especially when jumping around in spreadsheets. I have a really nice monitor in an extra bedroom we set up as an "office," but I can't play loud music in there, or I'll bug everyone.

So I went and tried out headphones. I first tried the Sennheiser HD700's. The pair I got was clearly a return (included a couple of non-Sennheiser accessories), so maybe it was messed up, but I didn't like them nearly as well as my HD598s. Nowhere near as clear.

So I moved up to the very popular HD800. I also got a good deal on the Chord Mojo mobile DAC/amp by purchasing from Amazon UK. The two together sound really good, but I'm convinced I can do better. I just missed out on a crazy deal for the Sennheiser HDVA 600 headphone amp (no DAC). Just $439 for an amp that retailed for $1,600. There are other headphone amp deals from time to time, but I was thinking there may be some "synergy" between the Sennheiser amp and headphones.

Man, I've got to stop spending all this money on home A/V stuff...