Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Around the World > Franšais > Examens Actuariels: Franšais
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-05-2018, 03:13 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
That sounds pretty good, why don't you do that?

I've never worked in life, but certainly in P&C "managing assets and liabilities" would be pretty niche actuarial work, likely delegated to corporate actuarial. Far more people are employed dealing with the pricing/reserving of the actual products.

If OP is interested in risk management on a corporation level he seems already well on his way to doing that by working at a bank, I'd pursue things through there, unless you're super interested in analyzing insurance data.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:51 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for MFE? IDK Yet
College: University of Missouri - St. Louis
Favorite beer: Urban Chestnut: Zwickel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
If OP is interested in risk management on a corporation level he seems already well on his way to doing that by working at a bank, I'd pursue things through there, unless you're super interested in analyzing insurance data.
I've only been here for 6+ months, and was hired as an entry level report pusher. I just happen to sit next to the guy who runs risk models for fraud, and he does some predictive analysis for our marketing campaign. I introduced myself and found out that multiple people here have actuarial science degrees, but no exams passed. If I spent my money, and more importantly my time, studying to pursue this career, then I am going to relentlessly pursue it. I am not against working in that area. They wanted me to sit with them to learn R, so I could work in that area. So there is always an opportunity there, but again I WANT to be an actuary.

What is killing me about this thread is I just wanted insight to what would look good to a recruiter based on my situation (hence why I talked about my schooling and work history). Instead somehow I am getting preached too by what I would presume is an "old-head" *cough* Woodrow *cough*. And was told not to put haha on an internet forum... really? I spent 5 minutes or less writing this stupid ass thing, and now my resume and cover letter are in question. But what else should I expect. Next time I'll spend 6 minutes.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:56 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchinNumbers View Post
I've only been here for 6+ months, and was hired as an entry level report pusher. I just happen to sit next to the guy who runs risk models for fraud, and he does some predictive analysis for our marketing campaign. I introduced myself and found out that multiple people here have actuarial science degrees, but no exams passed. If I spent my money, and more importantly my time, studying to pursue this career, then I am going to relentlessly pursue it. I am not against working in that area. They wanted me to sit with them to learn R, so I could work in that area. So there is always an opportunity there, but again I WANT to be an actuary.

What is killing me about this thread is I just wanted insight to what would look good to a recruiter based on my situation (hence why I talked about my schooling and work history). Instead somehow I am getting preached too by what I would presume is an "old-head" *cough* Woodrow *cough*. And was told not to put haha on an internet forum... really? I spent 5 minutes or less writing this stupid ass thing, and now my resume and cover letter are in question. But what else should I expect. Next time I'll spend 6 minutes.
OK. First question an interviewer will ask in a phone interview is "tell me why you want to be an actuary". So far your answer sucks so I'm trying to save you the time of exams unless you have a better answer in there somewhere (and "I WANT to be an actuary" is a horrible answer).
Old 02-05-2018, 04:03 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for MFE? IDK Yet
College: University of Missouri - St. Louis
Favorite beer: Urban Chestnut: Zwickel

Quote:
OK. First question an interviewer will ask in a phone interview is "tell me why you want to be an actuary". So far your answer sucks so I'm trying to save you the time of exams unless you have a better answer in there somewhere (and "I WANT to be an actuary" is a horrible answer).
Really? You honestly believe that would be my answer? Just because I haven't gone into detail to the almighty NormalDan, I am an idiot. You're right. This site has more keyboard warriors than reddit. This is terrible. I GET IT YOU ARE ALL SO SMART.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:08 PM
CAS

Quote:
Really? You honestly believe that would be my answer? Just because I haven't gone into detail to the almighty NormalDan, I am an idiot. You're right. This site has more keyboard warriors than reddit. This is terrible. I GET IT YOU ARE ALL SO SMART.
Bai felicia
Old 02-05-2018, 04:16 PM
CAS

Quote:
Old 02-05-2018, 04:17 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Goodbye. I hope.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:18 PM
SOA

I am certainly old, but I've never heard the term "old-head". Must be a St. Louis thing.

What you're experiencing is how it works around here, surely you saw this in other threads.

1. Someone asks about a topic
2. We give advice on totally different things
3. Some people actually give good advice on the original question
4. The original poster ignores the good advice in #3 and does what they wanted to do anyway.

Then when we die, our bodies become the grass, and the antelope eat the grass, it's the circle of life.

If you really just wanted us to answer a simple question you could have said:
Quote:
Is a non actuarial pension analyst role a good stepping stone to an actuarial career?

I have passed P and FM. I worked full time in accounting in college and now I have a finance degree and I'm an analyst at a bank.

I have an opportunity to work for a company (non actuarial) as a pension analyst. Would that be good experience to moving into an actuarial career, or should I stay at the bank?
We would have come at you with lots of annoying questions, but you would have had a chance at keeping it focused.

And you don't have to tell us you wrote that first post quickly. We know it's easy to put all your thoughts down, it takes more time to clean it up and make sure the important information comes through.

Despite the way we act, this is a professional board.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:20 PM
SOA

Quote:
Bai felicia
But he called you "the almighty NormalDan", and he said we are smart! I like him. Or her. Oh, who am I kidding, this is definitely a dude.

Crunchin, ignore the last few posts (JMO is even older than me, if you can believe) We like telling people what to do with their careers, if you want to stick around you will still get some good advice.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:23 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
But he called you "the almighty NormalDan", and he said we are smart! I like him. Or her. Oh, who am I kidding, this is definitely a dude.

Crunchin, ignore the last few posts (JMO is even older than me, if you can believe) We like telling people what to do with their careers, if you want to stick around you will still get some good advice.