Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:29 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: The ones in red solo cups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adapt and Chill View Post
The SRM syllabus lists An Introduction to Statistical Learning, with Applications in R as one of the source textbooks. Do you think that this will be sufficient to learn the basics of R? Are there any other websites or sources that you might recommend?
Well... you have to pay $1125 for both the e-learning modules and exam fee. The modules will probably be sufficient for the exam.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:22 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP
College: Swarthmore College (BA Mathematics), Villanova University (MS Applied Stat)

Quote:
The SRM syllabus lists An Introduction to Statistical Learning, with Applications in R as one of the source textbooks. Do you think that this will be sufficient to learn the basics of R? Are there any other websites or sources that you might recommend?
I haven't used R in a while, though I did use it quite a bit. I bumped into this somehow online: http://pirategrunt.com/raw_book/index.html

I figure it will give me a nice reintroduction as well as some actuarial applications. Let me know if you use it and your thoughts

Good luck!

VEE: Statistics | Finance | Economics

FAP: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | IA | 6 | 7 | FA

Conferences: APC
Old 05-11-2018, 04:41 PM
SOA AAA

College: Davidson College

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeAnActuaryOrNotToBe View Post
Well... you have to pay $1125 for both the e-learning modules and exam fee. The modules will probably be sufficient for the exam.
Oh, sweet summer child...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NchooseK
haven't used R in a while, though I did use it quite a bit. I bumped into this somehow online: http://pirategrunt.com/raw_book/index.html

I figure it will give me a nice reintroduction as well as some actuarial applications. Let me know if you use it and your thoughts

Good luck!
I will definitely take a look at this and get back to you once I gain some familiarity with R. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2018, 05:19 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: The ones in red solo cups.

Quote:
Oh, sweet summer child...
Oh, sweet winter child...The only prereq listed was Exam SRM. Did not mention anything about any prior R knowledge. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though since the exam hasn't even happened yet.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:55 PM
SOA

so the learning module from the SOA is the only source of study material for this exam? just sounds like a FAP modules extension to me ...
Old 05-11-2018, 06:04 PM
SOA AAA

College: Davidson College

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeAnActuaryOrNotToBe View Post
Oh, sweet winter child...The only prereq listed was Exam SRM. Did not mention anything about any prior R knowledge. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though since the exam hasn't even happened yet.
Right, and the text I'm asking about is a text from the SRM syllabus. Have you ever studied for a preliminary exam using only the textbook listed on the syllabus? I personally haven't.

After doing the FAP modules, I'm not really sold on their value as a learning device. I'm particularly skeptical that the PA modules alone will adequately provide a candidate with enough practice, especially given the comments by the poster with ~2 years of experience in R who was piloting the modules. I would really love to be wrong about this though.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:18 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for money to buy dogs
College: Candy Mountain Alumnus

Good lord, it costs the same as Core...
Old 05-11-2018, 08:31 PM
SOA

Studying for GHCORC
College: Université Laval

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie the Unicorn View Post
Good lord, it costs the same as Core...
Well, have you seen the price of Final Assessment?
Old 05-11-2018, 10:18 PM
SOA

Studying for MFE
College: University of Nebraska (alma mater)
Favorite beer: Captain Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NchooseK View Post
I haven't used R in a while, though I did use it quite a bit. I bumped into this somehow online: http://pirategrunt.com/raw_book/index.html

Good luck!
Thanks for the link. I browsed through it and it looks like it'll be very helpful.

My current plan of attack is to start in July (after exam C) with the SRM texts "Regression Modeling with Actuarial and Financial Applications" and "An Introduction to Statistical Learning, with Applications in R." I'll probably get Adapt for SRM to help fill in the gaps. Then the last couple months will be focused on R and the modules.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:53 AM
SOA

Studying for FAP
College: Swarthmore College (BA Mathematics), Villanova University (MS Applied Stat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARodOmaha View Post
Thanks for the link. I browsed through it and it looks like it'll be very helpful.

My current plan of attack is to start in July (after exam C) with the SRM texts "Regression Modeling with Actuarial and Financial Applications" and "An Introduction to Statistical Learning, with Applications in R." I'll probably get Adapt for SRM to help fill in the gaps. Then the last couple months will be focused on R and the modules.
My pleasure! I wish you best of luck!

Sadly, this doesn't look like something I'll be able to coast through given my graduate-level degree in applied statistics. The syllabus looks....foreign. Best of luck to me, as well!

VEE: Statistics | Finance | Economics

FAP: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | IA | 6 | 7 | FA

Conferences: APC