Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 05-18-2018, 02:24 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
We have people that flew through exams and became managers in their 20s. Similar to your story, they are recognized as being very smart but also somewhat arrogant. While I have not worked directly for any of them, Ive been told they have very high expectations for quality/speed of work that can be overwhelming.

I have no advice, but wanted to let you know you are not alone in your frustrations.
They have low emotional intelligence.

Most of them never progress further because they lack empathy, and don't know how to listen and motivate their direct reports.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:58 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
don't know how to listen and motivate their direct reports.
Hammock district imo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:53 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Beer-Sheva

I've gotten into situations where I've been given little guidance before. Over time I've learned that I have to be proactive in terms of asking questions and keeping the stakeholders in the loop. I'm not saying that you haven't been proactive, especially since I'm not even sure how helpful this guy would be in answering your questions, but in general it's a good idea to seek guidance rather than expect it.

One thing you can do to help yourself is to consult with your boss when you're working on a project, even if he's not directly involved, so that if this guy chews you out again, your tuchis is at least partially covered.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:02 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Hammock district imo
Old 05-18-2018, 06:32 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
They have low emotional intelligence.

Most of them never progress further because they lack empathy, and don't know how to listen and motivate their direct reports.
I dunno man. I'd say I mostly agree, but I've seen a lot of high ranking people trash talk their own subordinates which makes me wonder how they got so high in the first place. I suppose it's possible to climb high with low EQ but it's not a winning strategy, maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:29 PM
CAS SOA

College: Georgia State University

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGoodFCAS View Post
I've gotten into situations where I've been given little guidance before. Over time I've learned that I have to be proactive in terms of asking questions and keeping the stakeholders in the loop. I'm not saying that you haven't been proactive, especially since I'm not even sure how helpful this guy would be in answering your questions, but in general it's a good idea to seek guidance rather than expect it.

One thing you can do to help yourself is to consult with your boss when you're working on a project, even if he's not directly involved, so that if this guy chews you out again, your tuchis is at least partially covered.
I agree for the most part. The issue is that sometimes, “seeking guidance” means that you have to know the right questions to ask in certain situations. Those questions aren’t always obvious depending on experience level.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:13 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
We have people that flew through exams and became managers in their 20s. Similar to your story, they are recognized as being very smart but also somewhat arrogant. While I have not worked directly for any of them, Ive been told they have very high expectations for quality/speed of work that can be overwhelming.

I have no advice, but wanted to let you know you are not alone in your frustrations.
Most of what you said isn’t a bad thing. I think escalating to OPs boss was out of line, but what you’re posting is the type of situation that is the best way for newer people to grow.

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:38 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivamS View Post
Most of what you said isn’t a bad thing. I think escalating to OPs boss was out of line, but what you’re posting is the type of situation that is the best way for newer people to grow.
No. A good manager will know when they are asking too much of their reports.

Constantly asking for more and more (some people think this makes people grow but its not true), with and additional cocktail of criticisms instead of positive comments to build them up, leads to situations like the OP. And that most definitely does not help the team run well.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:00 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

That isn't what the post I quoted says.

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:26 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivamS View Post
Not sure if this is a good/bad thing. While they can be annoying, they are able to tackle complex problems. The people that work for them get to see these complex problems and how to deal with them, which is valuable experience.

Im just bitter because I was late to the game and have to deal with the fact that people much younger than me are going to make it further in their careers.