Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 5 (new) - Ratemaking/Reserving
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 07-19-2018, 09:54 AM
CAS

College: Alumni

Thanks for the info,
The quick site mods on here are very impressive
Old 07-19-2018, 10:31 AM
Non-Actuary

Questions about the Course on Professionalism:

Did we get an email as a reminder that registration was open?
Were the dates at which registration would open available on the COP webpage a few weeks ago?
Why did the CAS not expect so many attendees?
Old 07-19-2018, 10:32 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamay View Post

Were the dates at which registration would open available on the COP webpage a few weeks ago?
No
Yes
I think it usually fills up, there's a note that it usually fills up next to the dates.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:50 AM
CAS

Studying for Should you even ask?
College: FSU Alumni

You have to constantly check the site. It filled up before those who were eligible to register on July 18, 2018 at noon had a chance to even try to register. Now all you can do is ask to be on their waiting list and hope they will open more seats up if possible. Otherwise just have to wait until February 2019 which is only one location.

Quote:

Old 07-19-2018, 10:51 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Beer-Sheva

Quote:

I've never heard of anyone's ACAS being delayed because they kept getting shut out of COP, though I'm sure it's happened for other reasons (e.g., scheduling conflict, trying to register too late).
Old 07-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

When I signed up for the CoP, I was able to get onto the site (took 15 minutes due to "server busy" type messages) and sign up and had my CC processed.

NOTE: they give you the disclaimer that you should wait for the "officially registered" email (usually within 24 hours after signing up). This is important.

I got an email the next day saying that the course was filled up and that I would be put on a waiting list. I did call the CAS and asked about this since my credit card was charged for the registration. I was guaranteed to be "at the top of the list" (e.g., guaranteed to be enrolled once the expansion was confirmed).

Since the CoP is done by volunteers, they start with how many sign up initially for the number to enroll at a given location. Once the wait list is populated, they work through the logistics (often limited by the location's facilities more so than finding additional volunteers) to get the expansion realized.

Two weeks later, I got the official confirmation of registration.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 07-19-2018, 11:29 AM
CAS

Sounds I won't have chance to get in because I didn't officially pay for the registration since they said had to wait until July 18, 2018 at noon and they took the registration link away. I only emailed to be put on waiting list in the hopes I will still get a chance but I doubt it. Everything else has been going against me this year so not likely I will get to do this either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
When I signed up for the CoP, I was able to get onto the site (took 15 minutes due to "server busy" type messages) and sign up and had my CC processed.

NOTE: they give you the disclaimer that you should wait for the "officially registered" email (usually within 24 hours after signing up). This is important.

I got an email the next day saying that the course was filled up and that I would be put on a waiting list. I did call the CAS and asked about this since my credit card was charged for the registration. I was guaranteed to be "at the top of the list" (e.g., guaranteed to be enrolled once the expansion was confirmed).

Since the CoP is done by volunteers, they start with how many sign up initially for the number to enroll at a given location. Once the wait list is populated, they work through the logistics (often limited by the location's facilities more so than finding additional volunteers) to get the expansion realized.

Two weeks later, I got the official confirmation of registration.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:35 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsumath View Post
Sounds I won't have chance to get in because I didn't officially pay for the registration since they said had to wait until July 18, 2018 at noon and they took the registration link away. I only emailed to be put on waiting list in the hopes I will still get a chance but I doubt it. Everything else has been going against me this year so not likely I will get to do this either.
Not much of a rush though with two to go? I wasn't planning to register unless getting through 5 and so I signed up literally as the link opened on Monday (they were about 7 minutes late, so about 12:07). Payment processed and got my confirmation today.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:39 AM
CAS AAA

Quote:

We posted on the CAS website on on this website a few weeks ago when registration will open. In general, COP registration is almost always the 2nd or 3rd week of January and July.

For the # of attendees, the high number of passers on exam 5 took us a little by surprise. We are looking at possibly expanding the December courses, or offering additional courses in February. If you have not already, please email the CAS office to get on the waitlist.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:53 AM
CAS

It's not but the one in Orlando I wanted to attend so it was based on the location. Exam 5 didn't turn out the way I hoped for so I couldn't register on Monday and I checked the site through Tuesday and Wednesday then close to noon I checked again and Orlando sold out. Just wondered why did this have to happen I was close to being able to register but figures right. Glad you got confirmed okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
Not much of a rush though with two to go? I wasn't planning to register unless getting through 5 and so I signed up literally as the link opened on Monday (they were about 7 minutes late, so about 12:07). Payment processed and got my confirmation today.