Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 08-05-2018, 01:16 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Angelo State University

Ugh I really need to get it in gear, still lolligagging on section 1 of 12 O.o
Old 08-05-2018, 10:06 PM
SOA Non-Actuary

Studying for LTAM
College: CPP baccalaureate
Favorite beer: Pilsner Urquell

I feel totally screwed right now.. 3 exams and I can only start 40% of problems.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:26 AM
Non-Actuary

College: Angelo State University

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheng1234 View Post
I feel totally screwed right now.. 3 exams and I can only start 40% of problems.
Sounds pretty typical, are those your first exams after finishing the material?
Old 08-10-2018, 12:07 PM
SOA Non-Actuary

Studying for LTAM
College: CPP baccalaureate
Favorite beer: Pilsner Urquell

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkei18 View Post
Sounds pretty typical, are those your first exams after finishing the material?
Yeah, I also still have a the extra SOA supplementary stuff to read through.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:40 AM
CAS SOA

Favorite beer: wild ale

Started reading through the the textbook last week. Having studied these topics in university, much seems like review. Any suggestions on study material and strategy? I have the new textbook and the old ASM study manual (from just before the format change that added written answer questions.) What would be a good supplement to these resources?
Old 08-12-2018, 10:35 AM
SOA

Unhappy

this is my 3rd try, excluding the attempt in university. really losing steam over it. I would go in with my asm 15th edition and supplementary notes from SOA. any advice if this is adequate??
Old 08-12-2018, 12:21 PM
SOA

I barely finished 80% of the material. I started ADAPT, do you think it is possible to pass this exam in 2.5 months with no study days and working full time? I'm lookin at the material/formula sheet and there is just so much material. I was thinking maybe skip this sitting and wait for april?
Old 08-13-2018, 09:46 AM
CAS SOA

Favorite beer: wild ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by IacceptTheTerms View Post
I barely finished 80% of the material. I started ADAPT, do you think it is possible to pass this exam in 2.5 months with no study days and working full time? I'm lookin at the material/formula sheet and there is just so much material. I was thinking maybe skip this sitting and wait for april?

I just started at the beginning of August and I'm only done around 10% of the material. Just reading textbook and old ASM manual (last printing before written answers were added a few years back), although I do have a rusty knowledge of the majority of material from University courses. I'm also working full time and this is one of our busiest times. And on top of that, part time ~ 15 hours a week.

I think you have plenty of time as long as you stay committed. From my experience, putting off an exam is never worth it. The registration deadline isn't until Sept. 24, which is plenty of time to practice and reinforce your understanding. You should know by then if you'll be ready or not, no need to count yourself out prematurely.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:03 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaudettj View Post
I just started at the beginning of August and I'm only done around 10% of the material. Just reading textbook and old ASM manual (last printing before written answers were added a few years back), although I do have a rusty knowledge of the majority of material from University courses. I'm also working full time and this is one of our busiest times. And on top of that, part time ~ 15 hours a week.

I think you have plenty of time as long as you stay committed. From my experience, putting off an exam is never worth it. The registration deadline isn't until Sept. 24, which is plenty of time to practice and reinforce your understanding. You should know by then if you'll be ready or not, no need to count yourself out prematurely.
Words of wisdom
Old 08-13-2018, 10:11 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaudettj View Post

There is so much material, I can't believe how someone can memorize all the different formulas it's discouraging.