Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:09 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloop John B View Post
I'm glad I updated last year and got the Pixel 2XL since the 3XL this year is pretty hideous.

I've been on Project Fi for years and have no complaints. It's great when I travel.

The overwhelming complaint I hear about switching from iPhone to Android is messaging (and the lack of iMessage specifically). If you're in the US and most of your friends/family use iMessage the switch might be a little more painful. Be prepared to deal with complaints about pictures/videos sent as MMS being poor quality and about your chat bubble being green instead of blue (yes, that's a thing people complain about)
I just text people. Not that hard lol... google voice is pretty cool. When I had a contract snafu and had to give up my number at ATT, it turned into a voice number. Problem solved.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:36 PM
CAS

I like Google Hangouts. It works on WiFi when you don't havea cell signal, or witha cell signal if you done have WiFi. It works likea text. Except you can also make voice calls or video calls. You can also havea group message for several people.

I also use Signal for people who don't do Google Hangouts, because it works as a vanilla SMS client.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:38 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDucky View Post
Google drive auto backup
Online backup for 47GB of data with a cellphone? Where do you think this is, South Korea?
Old 10-11-2018, 07:43 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
I like Google Hangouts. It works on WiFi when you don't havea cell signal, or witha cell signal if you done have WiFi. It works likea text. Except you can also make voice calls or video calls. You can also havea group message for several people.

I also use Signal for people who don't do Google Hangouts, because it works as a vanilla SMS client.
That reminds me. I heard on NPR this morning that Google+ is being shut down. Anybody actually use that?
Old 10-11-2018, 07:56 PM
CAS

I used it a little back in the day. I haven't used it ina couple of years, I think. I gather Hangouts was separated from G+, and will survive.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:57 PM
CAS

Hangouts is basically the same as Skype, except it's Google, not MS, and it's free.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:17 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
I like that they added wireless charging but otherwise it's a pretty "meh" incremental update.

And that notch on the XL is hideous and seems like it would really screw up playing certain games, to say nothing of the already crowded notification area. Hard pass for me
so, only the 3XL has the notch, not the smaller model?
Old 10-12-2018, 08:33 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
so, only the 3XL has the notch, not the smaller model?
Did you not see the picture that you quoted?
Old 10-12-2018, 08:53 AM
CAS

I assumed he was commenting on the pictures he quoted.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:18 AM

Upgrading from the Pixel 2 seems pretty pointless but if you were coming from the 1 or something older it seems like there are some decent upgrades. The notch is super ugly but I wouldn't be interested in the XL anyways as I don't normally like phones that large.

The camera software looks legitimately really cool. It's amazing how they can take such amazing shots with one lens (on the back) and software relative to multiple lenses on other phones.

Manipulating women...now THAT's hard. Probably because most woman have no clue what they like.