Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 04-29-2019, 11:07 AM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooke View Post
No need to consider yourself a hipster snob just because you have good taste. It is a good characteristic to have at any age.
Is it? On the surface at least, good taste seems like a needlessly expensive characteristic that provides no net joy to anyone including yourself.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:55 AM
CAS

Studying for Prostate exam
College: Hard Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoath View Post
Most definitely. Any of the non-alcoholic wheat beers from Bavaria are very good. My favorite was Krombacher, which I can get in the midwest. If you go to Germany, most supermarkets will have 20 to 50 different alkohol-frei beers. They're used as a post-workout drink.
This post about Germany surprised me a bit. I spent months there some years ago and that was not my experience. Certainly supermarkets always had some alcohol free beers there, but maybe a few varieties at most. I don't remember ever hearing about it as a pre or post workout drink there either.

I did a bit of googling and see that there has been a surge in popularity of NA beer in Germany, including as a pre/post workout drink. Apparently there's some science behind it as well. One article I found: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/19/s...pics-beer.html

tl,dr: learned a new thing
Old 04-29-2019, 02:08 PM

Favorite beer: Yes, Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
Is it? On the surface at least, good taste seems like a needlessly expensive characteristic that provides no net joy to anyone including yourself.
It's really bad when combined with FOMO.

Must. Try. All. The. Beers.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:49 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoath View Post
Most definitely. Any of the non-alcoholic wheat beers from Bavaria are very good. My favorite was Krombacher, which I can get in the midwest. If you go to Germany, most supermarkets will have 20 to 50 different alkohol-frei beers. They're used as a post-workout drink.
The German no-alcohol beers are definitely better than American ones, IME. Clausthaler Dry Hopped is pretty good. The dry hopping definitely covers the defects the original Clausthaler has. And in the summer Paulaner's Weizen-Radler is nice.

"I guess I just have a lower prior-expectation of humanity than you folks. You win for optimism, but I win for accuracy."
--Pseudolus

"I wonder if there's a lower bound on how dumb the internet can get. We gotta be getting close, right?"
--Mother of DragQueens
Old 04-29-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already View Post
The German no-alcohol beers are definitely better than American ones, IME. Clausthaler Dry Hopped is pretty good. The dry hopping definitely covers the defects the original Clausthaler has. And in the summer Paulaner's Weizen-Radler is nice.
I liked the Paulaner Hefeweizen when I was in Germany. I haven't seen it at home. I don't care for Clausthaler. I got some Gerstel at Trader Joe's recently. It tasted like Clausthaler, but cheaper. Not bad. I tried the new Heineken 0.0. It seemed pretty close to regular Heineken. It was kind of expensive. It is hard to beat Old Milwaukee when you consider taste and price. I'm embarrassed to say it, but it's my go to.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:05 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Beer-Sheva

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassy View Post
I really like the smell of coffee but do not like its taste at all.
I generally dislike the smell of beer but I love the taste of a wide variety of beers.
I like the smell of tea and the taste of tea.

That's kind of me as well, though my variety of beers is limited to the less hoppy ones. Not sure if I previously mentioned it in your thread, but seems like I may have a supertaster gene that makes me more sensitive to bitter flavours such as coffee and IPA.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:50 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: San Pelligreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polevault1 View Post
Would you choose non-alcoholic beer over soda or juice?
If they made NA-Beer that tasted like the newer juicy IPA's I would, but they already make something that tastes exactly like it with the alcohol in it so why drink it without???

I only drink beer, coffee, and water (soda and plain). I don't sweeten coffee either so for the OP's question, no coffee is not gross, it is delicious.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:59 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Beer-Sheva

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgtatum View Post
If they made NA-Beer that tasted like the newer juicy IPA's I would, but they already make something that tastes exactly like it with the alcohol in it so why drink it without???
That's exactly how I feel about decaf "black" teas such as English breakfast. If I wanted caffeine free tea, I'd pour myself something that tastes much better, such as peppermint, chamomile or rooibos.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Petosky View Post
If I could have one that tasted like beer with alcohol, but I have not run into any like that yet. Sounds like Knoath has. The no-alcohol beers and wines I've tried do not taste like the standard version; not even close.
17 Mile Porter by Surreal Brewing. It tastes like a porter.