Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-06-2019, 10:13 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
Played some RL tonight. First game was VERY rusty, but after that I was playing well. Cycled well, made some really good aerial clears, and scored more goals than usual. Also pulled a titanium white Guardian GXT from the Rocket Pass gods, which completely made my night. That car looks so clean, it’s awesome. I’ll probably try to finish up my placement matches in the next couple days, I think I have 5 left in 2’s and 2 left in 3’s. I’m DEFINITELY a better player than I was at the beginning of the year, but still a long way away from what anybody who has played the game would consider good.
Enjoy the journey! I've messed around with the Guardian GXT a bit myself, feels like you can get some serious power with the shots when you catch it right. My preset design has a black painted Guardian with one of the decals it comes with (forget which) with the secondary color being black to match with the black car. Looks really really sleek.

Had some really quality matches last night playing with some teammates in normal 3s ranked around Champ 3 level. Lost my Grand Champ rank, but only by a little. Quality of both us and our opponents felt quite high and led to some pretty intense matches which we went about 50/50 on.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:43 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA

For anyone looking for a solid indie game... just played through Katana Zero this weekend, while kind of a short game it's very fun and well designed in many aspects (combat, old school pixel look, music, interesting story), they have also announced free DLC (no release date)
Old 06-10-2019, 04:42 PM
CAS

Decent sale on the PS Store right now, picked up Spider Man and Bloodborne. Should keep me busy for awhile.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:19 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poley McPoleface View Post
Decent sale on the PS Store right now, picked up Spider Man and Bloodborne. Should keep me busy for awhile.
I tried really hard, but I just couldn't get into Bloodbourne. I loved Demon's Souls, and I finished Dark Souls 2 a couple of times... but I never did make it all the way through DS1. IIRC, I rage-quit when the main firekeeper died. I have DS3... but haven't played it yet. the games are great, but they make me anxious and kind of stressed out, and the last year and a half has been packed with all kinds of other stress so I just haven't had the emotional and mental bandwidth for it.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:59 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
I tried really hard, but I just couldn't get into Bloodbourne. I loved Demon's Souls, and I finished Dark Souls 2 a couple of times... but I never did make it all the way through DS1. IIRC, I rage-quit when the main firekeeper died. I have DS3... but haven't played it yet. the games are great, but they make me anxious and kind of stressed out, and the last year and a half has been packed with all kinds of other stress so I just haven't had the emotional and mental bandwidth for it.
Is that the one in the beginning, in the little cage? That one's scripted if you let that dude in the bell towers out that has the two scythes. You can get that firekeeper back later.

I'm the opposite for Souls games, I LOVED the first Dark Souls and stopped in New Game ++. Dark Souls 2 I got pretty far, I may have been close to the end. I stopped in the Dragon Area, outside with all the cliffs. I just kind of got bored of that one. The lore wasn't as interesting, and the bosses didn't have the same weight as the first Souls game. I think it's because you could clear out areas before the boss by repeatedly killing enemies. Only a couple of the bosses managed to kill me more than once, and more than half of them I killed on the first try. There's also just so many bosses, it felt like they didn't put as much thought into them.

Mirror Knight stands out as the only one that caused legitimate anger. ******* keeps calling in real players who just hover around the thing healing it. I eventually disconnected my internet to win that fight, and that made it disappointingly easy so
Old 06-11-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
The Souls/Bourne games have definitely made me a way more patient gamer. I remember how stressed DS1 used to make me and how I'd get angry when I died. Now after playing through all the games in the series and some multiple times they don't give me the same kind of anxiety. I feel like I've just accepted that I'm going to die multiple times and things are going to be difficult. I'm way more zen about the games than I used to be.

[deepthoughts]Maybe this is all an allegory for life. Sometimes it's not fair, sometimes it's difficult, you are going to fail a lot but you can't let that get you down. You just need to keep trying until you figure out the way to get through it and when you do succeed you come out better for it. Not just because you are stronger at the end but because you know how to tackle the same challenge the next time it comes up. Maybe the Souls/Bourne games aren't making us better gamers, but better people.[/deepthoughtswithjackhandey]
Old 06-11-2019, 04:51 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Epic is having a $10 off everything sale. I went ahead and bought Hades, by SuperGiant...

I have no idea if/when I'll play it but I'd buy anything from them after transistor and bastion.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:56 PM
CAS

Quote:
Is that the one in the beginning, in the little cage? That one's scripted if you let that dude in the bell towers out that has the two scythes. You can get that firekeeper back later.

I'm the opposite for Souls games, I LOVED the first Dark Souls and stopped in New Game ++. Dark Souls 2 I got pretty far, I may have been close to the end. I stopped in the Dragon Area, outside with all the cliffs. I just kind of got bored of that one. The lore wasn't as interesting, and the bosses didn't have the same weight as the first Souls game. I think it's because you could clear out areas before the boss by repeatedly killing enemies. Only a couple of the bosses managed to kill me more than once, and more than half of them I killed on the first try. There's also just so many bosses, it felt like they didn't put as much thought into them.

Mirror Knight stands out as the only one that caused legitimate anger. ******* keeps calling in real players who just hover around the thing healing it. I eventually disconnected my internet to win that fight, and that made it disappointingly easy so
Yea, Lautrec. I kick him over the side in all my DS1 playthrough's now.

DS1 is probably my favorite game of all time. BB is also incredible, but I do hear the argument that it's too stressful. Souls games requires dedication and immersion. If you're just looking for something to do to decompress, not neccessarily the best choice.

DS2 is usually the most maligned of the series.

Still haven't played DS3. Will probably get around to it if I ever get sick of Overwatch (slightly addicted right now, trying to climb out of Plat, have about 70% winrate and sitting around ~2800. I get a bit of ladder anxiety, so it's slow going.).
Old 06-11-2019, 05:22 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionWalter View Post
The makers of Divinity:Original Sin are teasing a Baldur's Gate 3 release. Still need to pick up Divinity 2, but man this made my day.

https://kotaku.com/the-makers-of-div...ald-1835128071
Apparently it will be on Stadia at launch. Not sure about Stadia yet. I like the idea, but not sure how it will work in practice. Plus, will it have trophies?

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:24 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Whisky

Quote:

Lol, my hand-eye coordination is really only so-so, and the Souls games are pretty timing-dependent. So I've never been particularly good at them. But I enjoyed them. They just make me stressed... almost any game that needs button timing to succeed makes me stressed, but not usually enough to quit - I'll get it eventually!

Most recently, it's been Shadow of Mordor... But only because a couple of the key fights you *have* to do with the sword. I'd be so much happier if I oculd either stealth or range kill everyone. I'm really good at those. But some of those Captains/Chiefs are immune to both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
The Souls/Bourne games have definitely made me a way more patient gamer. I remember how stressed DS1 used to make me and how I'd get angry when I died. Now after playing through all the games in the series and some multiple times they don't give me the same kind of anxiety. I feel like I've just accepted that I'm going to die multiple times and things are going to be difficult. I'm way more zen about the games than I used to be.

[deepthoughts]Maybe this is all an allegory for life. Sometimes it's not fair, sometimes it's difficult, you are going to fail a lot but you can't let that get you down. You just need to keep trying until you figure out the way to get through it and when you do succeed you come out better for it. Not just because you are stronger at the end but because you know how to tackle the same challenge the next time it comes up. Maybe the Souls/Bourne games aren't making us better gamers, but better people.[/deepthoughtswithjackhandey]
Could be. I've never been particularly impatient - I die a lot playing tomb raider! I've long ago gotten used to being ever-dead. With DS1, I htink a lot of my rage-quit was because I didn't reference the interwebs at all, and I didn't know the firekeeper was going to disappear. It was a shock. And it had taken me so long (and so many deaths) to finally get the bell-keepers, I really really thought I was further along in the game. Then the firekeeper disappeared, I looked online and found out I was something like a quarter through the game...

I'll get back to it eventually.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one