Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 09-14-2017, 01:17 AM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Not a movie, but I couldn't find a Last TV Series I've Watched thread.

Spaced (1999 - 2001)

Great! Simon Pegg with several other cast members who will go on to roles in future Simon Pegg movies. You've seen the basic setup before - Pegg and Jessica Hynes pretend to be a couple to rent an apartment together, but that's just setup and isn't really what the series is about. There are a couple quirky neighbors and quirky friends and quirky enemies. But it is way better than it sounds. There are lots of movie and music references, some silly stuff, some random plots that sometimes tie together (in a Seinfeld way). There are quite a few LOL moments. There were only two seasons with 7 episodes in each season.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:56 AM

One Man's Journey (1933) - Lionel Barrymore as a country doctor who never quite makes it to the big city.

Call Northside 777 (1948) - Reporter Jimmy Stewart responds to an ad that offers a large reward for finding the real killer to an old homicide. Based on a true story.

KC Confidential (1952) - A florist is framed for a robbery, and travels to Mexico pursuing any lead he can find in order to clear himself.

20000 Years in Sing Sing (1932) - Old Spencer Tracy in a prison rehabilitation movie.

The Trial (1962) - Anthony Perkins in an Orson Welles production based on Kafka. I felt some parallel to the movie Brazil. Very highly acclaimed, can be difficult to follow, and not for everyone. I will watch again in the future.

Peeping Tom (1960)- Disturbing film about a young man who films people as they die.

Primrose Path (1940) - Joel McCrea/Ginger Rogers version of good girl from the very wrong side of the tracks trying to stop her horrible family cycle. Enjoyed it.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:50 AM
CAS

mother! (2017)

I thought this was great. I think most audiences will hate this though. It has been advertised as a standard home-invasion horror movie and it is... not that. It's actually hard to discuss in much detail without giving much away but I'll just say the film is a deeply allegorical look at the creative process on a few levels. It starts off kind of slow and mysterious, and then...whoa...
Old 09-18-2017, 02:54 PM

Mothers of Men (1917) - Interesting early women's rights movie. The lead actress faces tough choices between her man and the advancement of women's rights.

The Great Man (1956) - Good movie about a dedication to one of the time's most popular radio and TV personality who has just died. When Jose Ferrer digs into the people who knew this man the best, he is faced with a dilemma on what to tell the public.

Tomorrowland (2015) - Not a movie that I would normally seek out, but seemed interesting enough when flipping channels. sci-fi movie that kept things interesting.

Strange Interlude (1932) - Moira Shearer and Clark Gable in a movie about relationships, and how people's thoughts rarely transmit into what they say. This movie captures the thoughts, and worked for me.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdadude View Post
mother! (2017)

I thought this was great. I think most audiences will hate this though. It has been advertised as a standard home-invasion horror movie and it is... not that. It's actually hard to discuss in much detail without giving much away but I'll just say the film is a deeply allegorical look at the creative process on a few levels. It starts off kind of slow and mysterious, and then...whoa...
from what i've heard that is just window dressing. every review i've read has said that it is the craziest mother f ing thing they have ever seen. looking forward to it.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:55 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triweasel View Post
from what i've heard that is just window dressing. every review i've read has said that it is the craziest mother f ing thing they have ever seen. looking forward to it.
Yeah. Two-thirds or so is relatively slow- not boring, but not too crazy, more psychological and mysterious. And then it gets NUTS.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:08 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

RocknRolla (2008) Very entertaining Guy Richie, in which I could understand what they said. Confusing plot, but who cares. Really good cast

Grandma (2015) I loved Lilly Tomlin as the acerbic lesbian grandmother helping her grand daughter raise money for an abortion. I am surprised Tomlin was not nominated. (based on my personal rule of to add one you have to delete one, I would put her over Jennifer Lawrence in Joy).

The Royal Rodeo (1939) TCM short, featuring a young John Payne. Cute.

Camelot (1967) OK musical, a few songs stay with you, though too many actors as opposed to singers. And a story that has been done many times

The Visitor (2007) Richard Jenkins was nominated in this very well done story, that individualizes and personalizes immigration.

Mary of Scotland (1936) Overly stagy and over acted historical piece, that was too long on relationships and too short on history

and many shorts, some as little as a minute, with titles that pretty much explain the film,

Edwin Porter was mostly through the Edison studios.
What Happened on Twenty-third Street, New York City (1901) Home movie with a Marilyn style skirt blow; Circular Panorama of Electric Tower, Pan-American Exposition by Night (1901) Two separate shorts using towers with a circular view, The night one was actually pretty spectacular; Terrible Teddy, the Grizzly King (1901) Odd "comedy?" showing Teddy Roosevelt hunting mountain lions; Uncle Josh at the Moving Picture Show (1902) Comedy of a man watching a film projection and thinking it was real; Uncle Tom's Cabin (1903) Needed more story boards, was mostly a chapter heading; A Romance of the Rail (1903) love story on a train; The Gay Shoe Clerk (1903) Shoe salesman gets frisky with a customer; Life of an American Fireman (1903) Docu-drama on a fireman rescue; The 'Teddy' Bears (1907) Disturbing take on Goldilocks, with someone playing Teddy Roosevelt;

Plus some of Edison's own work, sort of home movies, the titles say it all. Mr. Edison at Work in His Chemical Laboratory (1897); Electrocuting an Elephant (1903)

George Albert Smith (British)- also more to the home movie, but set up situations
The Kiss in the Tunnel (1899) Comedy catching the stolen kiss in the dark; The Sick Kitten (1903) Two children giving medicine to a cat;

Those Awful Hats (1909) Early D W Griffith comedy with interesting special effects as men try to see around the women's hats at the theater

Repas de bébé (Baby's Dinner)(1895); Louis Lumière literally home movie type film

and Georges Méliès fantasy and special effects

Escamotage d'une dame au théâtre Robert Houdin (1896) Using special effects to make it appear the perfomer is doing magic; La lanterne magique (The Magic Lantern) (1903) Comedy and dance with heavy FX; Le royaume des fées (A Kingdom Of Fairies) (1903) again heavy special effects in a story of witches and fairies.

La fée aux choux (The Cabbage Fairy) (1896) Oldest known surviving film by Alice Guy Blaché the first female director. Based on the old wives tale of babies in the cabbage patch
Old 09-20-2017, 12:48 PM

Cornered (1945) - Film noir with Dick Powell as a Canadian WWII vet who goes in search of the Nazi collaborator who killed his wife. Solid acting, but the story is a little unbelievable.

Shock Corridor (1963) - Journalist goes "undercover" in a mental institution to attempt to solve a murder case in the hopes of earning a Pulitzer Prize. Well done

Strange Cargo (1940) - Clark Gable and Joan Crawford in a solid movie that features two things I love: 1) Escaping from Devil's Island and 2) a good and moral character who guides others into learning about themselves. Recommend

Blood Simple (1984) - Coen brothers first movie, and it is excellent. M Emmet Walsh is fantastic, the storyline is great, never know what's going to happen next.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:42 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Frostop Root

Major Dundee - interesting tale of Tex-Mex wars during US Civil War. I wasn't aware that Napoleon's French troops invaded Mexico.