Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 06-02-2020, 11:34 AM
It's a funny name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentassassin View Post
Turd, what is so great about the M6?
I have always enjoyed Taylormade drivers and hit them well, and I was due for an upgrade. I'm hitting it with about the same consistency as my previous driver (SLDR), but when I get it in the sweet spot, it's a good 10-20 yards further down the fairway than I was last year.

The M6 is last year's model so I was able to score a really good deal (it was basically buy the driver, get the fairway wood for 85% off... and then I sold my old driver to offset further). It's got adjustable loft, I bought the 10.5, but you can go +/- 1.5 from there with the turn of a wrench. I think the biggest "technology" upgrades I picked up by moving drivers are the SpeedPocket and Twist Face. Both are kinda neat when reading about them. Also, reviews online say it's one of the easiest drivers on the market to hit, and my anecdotal experience would align with that.

tldr summary: I wanted a new driver and it was the right brand and on sale.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens Fan View Post
Have you considered taking half or three-quarter swings? Thanks to the Week 1 lessons of my Break 100 course, I have become confident in shots within 60 yards cause I can take a mini swing (club shaft comes waist height) and the ball would travel 60 yards straight.
Before my recent change, this is what I used to do, with great results. Now that I have made this adjustment, I can't seem to dial in a partial swing with my PW or GW (I still do this well with my SW inside 75y). It's basically either 100% of my new swing and distance (e.g., 145y w/ PW) or 90% of my old swing and distance (e.g., 125y w/PW x 90% = 115y, instead of 135y).
Old 06-02-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd View Post
Sounds like you have more severe elbow pain than I had. Mine only seemed to flare up with golf, and particularly when practicing with my wedges (head-heavy Clevelands). Based on some research and testimonials, I completely eliminated my elbow pain by switching from steel to graphite shafts. (That was also a good excuse to buy new irons and wedges). Went with Recoil 95ís in 5 iron through 58 degree wedge. My driver, 3w, and hybrids already had various graphite shafts. Been playing a lot, as my course never closed. Zero elbow pain, and I love my new clubs!
I've been contemplating new clubs, and this seems like another check in that box. But I'm skeptical that new clubs would fix the problem.

When I feel it most is when I face resistance. So on a smooth shot, usually it doesn't hurt. But if I take a divot then I really feel it.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie frazier View Post
it is a challenge to use less than a full swing for a lot of people. So, can you choke down on the grip 1-2 inches on the 145 club? I use that for shots "between" the distances.
Interesting. I will try this. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:36 PM
It's a funny name.

I have played with this idea on and off. it can be really effective, I need to bring it back into the bag. I think the biggest thing to worry about if you're choking down is to make sure you are bending down a little further so you're not topping the balls and skulling it over the green.

I know from experience.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:01 PM
Non-Actuary

Shot an 87 this morning (rough 47 to begin, followed by a nice 40 on the back 9).

Made two birdies on the back 9 which helped offset two double bogeys. Very pleased with how I putted on the back, double bogeys were due to penalty shots due to errant drives.

Front 9 was rough, lot's of moisture on some of the greens so it was hard to be consistent with touch.

Need to work on finding my distances with short irons, I was consistently on the back side of greens today (so yeah club down?). Thankfully my chipping game was on point.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:29 PM
SOA

Played some twilight round golf yesterday. Shot a 50 on the front 9, which was about where I was expecting to be after not playing for a while. Familiar course to me, but had a bunch of OB. Had some really pure shots coupled with some really awful shots. Putting on first 5 holes felt really bad, but improved as I got going. Chipping just felt off the whole time, something I need to revisit and get some fresh swing thoughts in my head for. Really tried to focus on keeping a neutral grip during the round and it did help (I've been having the tendency to bend my left wrist at setup leading to a mishit). 2 pars in there, one of them being a tap in after a decent look for a birdie. Of course these were balanced out by a couple double pars as well.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:25 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!
Favorite beer: Blue Moon Belgian White

Shot a +22 on a Par-3 9-hole today.

21 putts.

My drives were all solid, but the ball fell left/right/past the green on every occasion, and my short game kind of let me down.

Will start week 2 of my Break 100 course tomorrow.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:48 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!
Favorite beer: Blue Moon Belgian White

Shot a 124 (+54) today. Pretty disappointed cause that's a +5 compared to last week. I don't feel confident using my woods or driver anymore...

39 putts, short game wasn't too bad, but 12 penalties due to OB and topped a few of my shots.
Old 06-08-2020, 02:25 PM
SOA

In my experience of breaking down the numbers from rounds to look for improvements while trying to push from 110+ to 100, a better indicator for short game is to track chips + putts rather than (or in addition to) putts only. As you do improve, you will get on the green faster which results in more putts since you will generally be farther away for your first putts. You bumping this thread reminded me that I wanted to try and find a youtube video on chipping that really helped me last year. I'll pass it along when and if I do find it again. While I forget some of the details, it really tried to simplify things with the main points being opening the club up, using the bounce of the wedge, and following through with your body rather than arms such that hips point down the target line. Might have meandmygolf or someone else.