Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:56 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing. I quit.
Favorite beer: Root
Default Parents visiting DFW

You can feel free to read this & respond. Just know that my parents have decided to not do anything in order to avoid crowds & protests & crowded protests.

---

My parents are in the DFW (Texas) area for a graduation and since they're there would like to hit a tourist spot on Wednesday, June 3, 2020 AD.

They are considering the John F. Kennedy Memorial Plaza.

A quick google news search shows me that there were/are demonstrations on Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge which, if I can read a map correctly, is nearby.

Do the citizens of the AO have any useful information/advice on what's going in Dallas? Should that area be avoided?

Would you suggest they visit some place else instead? Suggestions of what that might be? My parents tend to like historical things. (They're in their 70s.) They're just looking for something where they can say, "Yeah, I was there. I saw that."

Last edited by 1695814; 06-03-2020 at 12:01 PM..
Old 06-02-2020, 09:01 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

I believe Dallas has a 311 number. That may be the best way to get where it may be safe to go.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2020, 09:08 PM

don't know what's going on in the city but the Sixth Floor Museum is pretty cool. they'll enjoy that if they've never been to it. the museum might have different hours now, so it'd be best to check ahead of time
Old 06-02-2020, 09:15 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

You gotta show them HEB man, everything else around the area pales in comparison to the amazing experience of shopping there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:19 PM
SOA AAA

The plaza is pretty cool. I've been there, once. If you've seen the Zapruder film and "JFK," it's worth exploring the whole area. It can be a very immersive experience. (Though it was hotter than hell when I was there, in a July).

BUT,
I'd probably check real closely to what's going on before I'd venture to any downtown area in the whole country.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 06-02-2020, 10:57 PM
Non-Actuary

https://dallascityhall.com/departmen...lasCurfew.aspx

Quote:
The central downtown area will be under a curfew from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.
These areas include downtown, Deep Ellum, the Farmers Market, Cedars, Uptown, and Victory Park, Trinity Groves and West Village. Businesses are urged to close at 5 p.m. so all patrons and employees may avoid harm.

Residents and visitors are encouraged to be mindful of the curfew and comply to ensure we may continue to keep residents, business owners, employees, peaceful demonstrators, and first responders safe.

Most historical things are going to be downtown and I would expect crowds of people demonstrating downtown during the day.

Were they fans of the show Dallas? There is a house/ranch/something in a suburb (Wiley? - had some friends visiting from Denmark that thought it was awesome - but they also thought we rode horses everywhere). GWB Presidential library at SMU (in Dallas proper, but I wouldn't call it downtown and am pretty sure it is outside the curfew area.) Stockyards in Fort Worth. Ross Perot museum (no idea where that is.) Given their age and COVID, I am assuming they don't plan on taking the train, but if they are, they should know it is not stopping in areas with a curfew, after curfew.
Usually while I'm reading, I'm actually thinking about...midgets riding toy horses - Roto

Last edited by Kenny; 06-02-2020 at 11:32 PM..
Old 06-02-2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
You gotta show them HEB man, everything else around the area pales in comparison to the amazing experience of shopping there.
there aren't any HEBs, unless you want to drive south to Waxahachie or Burleson
Old 06-02-2020, 11:59 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
I don't think there are HEB's in DFW. That's why I haven't moved there yet.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:00 AM
CAS

Ah, Ninja'd.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:03 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Cold and lots of it

If they can handle stairs reasonably well, the water gardens in fort worth are very worth visiting. They would need to be able to walk down and back up a bunch of steps to get the best one though

Officially assigned the role of Dictator, 9/30/09. Bow to my whims.