Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > Bridge
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Bridge Sub-Forums: Frequency and Severity

Old 09-10-2019, 11:34 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still no idea when/how you can see provisional results. I've finished, and could see results through 11 boards when I finished. Slightly negative I think, but no swing bigger than 2 (+ or -). I guess I saw those because it was right after I finished, only through 11 since probably no one else finished them. But now I can't see any.

They seemed like a reasonable set, though I stupidly threw away an imp on a board after 11. As usual, some bot errors, but those may well happen at your table too. One good thing by bot partner, but surely is the right action to try to beat the contract, likely to be repeated at your tables.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:13 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WTF? I decided to try the "Challenge a star" feature to see how it worked. Only 4 boards, since it was just an experiment. You don't even know what star you are playing against until after the match. I ended up losing by 4 imps, because of an unfortunate choice on this hand:

S-Qxx H-KQxx D-Jxx C-A10x. No x is higher than a 7. I elected to open 1C. Certainly a pass could not be criticized with the 3433 pattern and unsupported quacks.

Did I lose because I didn't pass? No, it turns out I was playing against santafe and he opened 1D! Both tables the auction went (opps silent) 1m - 1S - 1NT- 4S. Against my 1C opener, my RHO lead a club, and now I had no play, and I misguessed for down 2. Against santafe, his RHO lead a trump, then hopped the heart ace at trick 2. If he had ducked the heart, santafe (as declarer) might have to guess diamonds to make (or maybe he would realize that he defense could always collect 2 diamond tricks if the A is with RHO, so he should play LHO for the ace, which wins.

Hard to believe I lost 13 imps because I opened 1D instead of 1C on 3433 shape with stronger clubs.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:27 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gotta have something to do while waiting for these AO challenges to be over. So I challenged another star and won by 4 imps over 8 boards against dolphin2. Should have quit while I was ahead (or while I was even on cumulative imps against stars). I challenged another and was destroyed by stiffqueen by 44 imps in 8 boards.

OK, board 1 I maybe deserved to lose because I forget a bot convention (and therefore forgot to use it): responding 3NT to 1 of a major to show 13-15 and some 4333 with 3 card support. So I played 4M instead of 3NT. OTOH, stiffqueen used it, showing some 4333, when he really had a 4332 with 3 card support, and the doubleton was AK.

Not so sure I deserved to lose 10 on board 3. He opened a 15-17 NT on S-K9xx H-AQ10x D-AJxx C-4, a tad unusual choice. Then Blackwooded over a 4H (Texas) response, and bid slam upon hearing 1 key card. It was an excellent contract I didn't find.

Then board 7 I opened 2NT on S-Ax H-Q9xx D-AQJxx C-AK. Certainly not a horrendous choice, even if 2C is better. Alas, after 2C - 2H, stiffqueen reached 7H. Almost more like stiffqueen bashed 7H: (opps silent) 2C - 2H - 4NT - 5H (even keycards and some void) - 7H. System notes even say that 5H promised even keycards, a void, and the heart Q, but I don't think stiffqueen really expected that there were two trump queens in the deck.

Then on board 8 I lost an overtrick imp because with S-Q10xx H-A10x D-AJ98 C-Jx in response to partner's 1H I chose to respond 2C while he responded 2C. I guess that game is just too tough for me. It cost in unusual way. Against me, despite the 2D bid my LHO led a diamond to the 8, small Q, then knew not to cover the diamond 10. (winning trick 1 with the 10, later leading the Q would be no different, except winning the second round in my hand). With diamonds not played it trick 1, it was normal at the other table to cover the Q with Kxxx.

Please guys, finish our challenge so I can get back to normalcy.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:39 PM

BBO crashed my session after ten boards. Will try again in the am.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:19 AM
CAS

Finished the second challenge. Provisionally, +13.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:56 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still can't find any provisional scores update for me.

I challenged another star. Won by 2 imps over 8 boards against Guiseppe. Sounds tame, but wasn't at all. 8 boards, 32-30. The smallest swing was 3 imps, on a hand passed out at my table.

Some bidding by Guiseppe normal enough, but not all. (and quite possibly you'll think none of his actions on the following hand were normal).
S-AKQJxxx H-x D-Q10x C-xx

He deals, both vul, imps. PM me your top 3 choices for his action. [If you want to indicate actions you think are best, and also guess as do what he did since it surprised me, that's cool.] I'll PM you back his action and the situation he faced on the next round. Both actions seem odd to me, and if I posted the second decision you would know what his initial action was.

Maybe this is why he's a star and we aren't (I'll be amazed if any of you match both his calls.)

Last edited by Steve White; 09-11-2019 at 12:30 PM..
Old 09-11-2019, 10:05 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For comparison, in my many 2-way matches against Klaymen, I tend to look at details only on boards where I gained or lost at least 5 imps. I've seen some bids by each of us that don't look best, but none that seem bizarre (excluding misclicks, which happen occasionally).

And yes, if you look at my calls in the latest group challenge you'll see one that likely none of you will make, and I almost didn't (and in retrospect, I've decided I shouldn't have either), but especially if I explain you won't call it bizarre. Maybe only because you're too polite.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:12 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve White View Post
I still can't find any provisional scores update for me.

I challenged another star. Won by 2 imps over 8 boards against Guiseppe. Sounds tame, but wasn't at all. 8 boards, 32-30. The smallest swing was 3 imps, on a hand passed out at my table.

Some bidding by Guiseppe normal enough, but not all.
S-AKQJxxx H-x D-Q10x C-xx

He deals, both vul, imps. PM me your top 3 choices for his action. [If you want to indicate actions you think are best, and also guess as do what he did since it surprised me, that's cool.] I'll PM you back his action and the situation he faced on the next round. Both actions seem odd to me, and if I posted the second decision you would know what his initial action was.

Maybe this is why he's a star and we aren't (I'll be amazed if any of you match both his calls.)
In the first (and second) seat, I would bid 1S. 3rd and 4th seats, 4S.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:22 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oirg View Post
In the first (and second) seat, I would bid 1S. 3rd and 4th seats, 4S.
I suggested PM so that I could ask about his second action without revealing his first. But posting a guess about the first here is fine, and I'll just send out a PM for the second guess to anyone who takes a guess about the first round action. I'll do that whether or not the first round guess is correct, and I've send one to you, oirg.

And, as a reminder to everyone, you can make up to three guesses at his action on each round, but if you want to make only one, that's fine.

Edited to clarify (and post above edited). When I said "Some bidding by Guiseppe normal enough, but not all", I was referring to the 8 board match, not suggesting that any of his actions on the quiz hand were normal enough. In fact, they don't seem normal to me.

Last edited by Steve White; 09-11-2019 at 12:29 PM..
Old 09-11-2019, 05:41 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The first 5-way challenge is over. Congratulations, oirg.

Another is issued for the same group. If you want to play, great. If you don't, I think you can just decline the challenge and the rest of us can still play. But do decline, if you aren't going to play, so that results become available when all the actual players are done.

Oops. No it isn't. Maybe I can't issue two group challenges simultaneously, and I issued one as a test to Klaymen and an alt I have on BBO, so if the limitation is one active group challenge I can't host another 5-way until he and I finish (my alt, as planned, declined the group challenge. The only purpose was to see what happened if an id declined).

Someone else could try to issue a group challenge for the 5 of us now and see if it works with them as host.

Meanwhile, if anyone knows they don't want to do another, they should say so.