Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > Bridge
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Bridge Sub-Forums: Frequency and Severity

Old 06-02-2020, 10:50 AM

College: third time is a charm
Favorite beer: Dogfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve White View Post
NN puts up +14.75 and +28.50 in the two group challenges. He won one. The +14.75. JJ topped him in the other with +30. Since scores are a 0 sum game, the other 3 of us didn't do nearly that well.

I topped procrastinator by 7 in a 2-way.

I'm reissuing them, with NN out in one group challenge.
Well played all. Did not think I played that badly, but got beat rather soundly.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:42 PM

Hand 14 is interesting in the bidding. In each case they ended up in 5H (somewhat surprisingly to me). In 2 auctions good guys passed the entire time. In three auctions (including mine) good guys put up a major fight. I actually think we would have done worse in 5DSx, but they bid out of it.

Results were not impactful (small differentiation among the groups).
Old 06-02-2020, 12:47 PM

Hand 16 is also interesting to me. We all get to 3NT. Four of us get set, but Mark made it. The difference (upon quick review) is that he ducked the first diamond trick, whereas I took it. And he appears to make it because his opponent made the mistake of leading his Ah before leading diamonds back. If his opponent leads diamonds back, I think it's the same result on all tables. But instead, LHO cashes his Ah, which does not give opps an entry back into diamonds once they are established for them. Did the computer just mess up here? Or am I missing a nuance.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:29 PM

On hand 16, after the play, I wondered if I should have bid it differently. Maybe a 3S bid to transfer to 4C? But not even sure that would have worked as a convention.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:14 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Actuary View Post
Hand 16 is also interesting to me. We all get to 3NT. Four of us get set, but Mark made it. The difference (upon quick review) is that he ducked the first diamond trick, whereas I took it. And he appears to make it because his opponent made the mistake of leading his Ah before leading diamonds back. If his opponent leads diamonds back, I think it's the same result on all tables. But instead, LHO cashes his Ah, which does not give opps an entry back into diamonds once they are established for them. Did the computer just mess up here? Or am I missing a nuance.
Computer just messed up. But ducking the diamond may have been a good move, giving the opponents the opportunity to mess up, which they do surprisingly often. The main advantage of winning the diamond is that if you win the first one and opening leader gets in, he might be afraid to continue diamonds for fear of setting up your 9, if (on a different hand) you started with A9x. Also winning slightly increases the chances that opponents will mess up and block the suit, with the player having 5 diamonds not on lead after round 4.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:26 PM

Computer screws up on defense a lot, mostly by not finding/cashing open suits.

I screw up on defense a lot, too.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:46 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Actuary View Post
Glad you posted this. SW1 just finished the current challenge, and just make 3NT with a diamond holding of Axx opposite x by ducking the first round (K led) and ducking the second round (Q continued), even though it was certain from the bidding that opening leader had long diamonds and the outside entries. Sure enough, leader switched to the spade K from KQ even thought the AJ10 was in dummy. 10 tricks. As it turns out, I could and should make 3 NT even if he just sets up the diamonds, since I have 8 winners and he would be squeezed (without the count) in hearts and spades. I'll bet some of you found that squeeze. Not sure I would have, even though it is the only chance beyond defensive blunder.

Good chance that will help SW1 win that challenge, with a provisional +27.4 after 5 (so I could post about that hand without giving anything away.

SW49 though. Provisional +5.5 after 3 despite one defense that was awful even by CHO standards, and it was SW49 not CHO who was awful. Some other unfortunate choices too. I was not expecting to be +.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:47 AM

sw49 included an absolute blunder of a set game for me, that I'm sure will set me back 10-15 points. I think otherwise I played fairly well.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve White View Post
Glad you posted this. SW1 just finished the current challenge, and just make 3NT with a diamond holding of Axx opposite x by ducking the first round (K led) and ducking the second round (Q continued), even though it was certain from the bidding that opening leader had long diamonds and the outside entries. Sure enough, leader switched to the spade K from KQ even thought the AJ10 was in dummy. 10 tricks. As it turns out, I could and should make 3 NT even if he just sets up the diamonds, since I have 8 winners and he would be squeezed (without the count) in hearts and spades. I'll bet some of you found that squeeze. Not sure I would have, even though it is the only chance beyond defensive blunder.

Good chance that will help SW1 win that challenge, with a provisional +27.4 after 5 (so I could post about that hand without giving anything away.

SW49 though. Provisional +5.5 after 3 despite one defense that was awful even by CHO standards, and it was SW49 not CHO who was awful. Some other unfortunate choices too. I was not expecting to be +.
Seems I lost due to defense on this hand:

https://tinyurl.com/y9em4eo9

Apparently if I don't double (from looking at the other boards), CHO will lead a heart and we'll take 7 tricks. But after I double somehow I can't convince it to take its hearts.

Looks like I tried to get both majors involved and played that 3NT hand in 4S (making 5 off suboptimal defense).

https://tinyurl.com/y9tk295m

3NT makes all the time (with this distribution) just due to ducking a couple diamonds cutting communications so you can set up a heart, right?
Old 06-05-2020, 11:30 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahsjohnson View Post
Seems I lost due to defense on this hand:

https://tinyurl.com/y9em4eo9

Apparently if I don't double (from looking at the other boards), CHO will lead a heart and we'll take 7 tricks. But after I double somehow I can't convince it to take its hearts.

Looks like I tried to get both majors involved and played that 3NT hand in 4S (making 5 off suboptimal defense).

https://tinyurl.com/y9tk295m

3NT makes all the time (with this distribution) just due to ducking a couple diamonds cutting communications so you can set up a heart, right?
Yes. I thought opening leader had the heart ace as an entry and his failure to establish them was a typical bot blunder.

So I won that group challenge with +27.5. I also won the 2-way against procrastinator by 7. procrastinator won the other group challenge with +13.67, a margin of 10. I reissued them all last night.