Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:55 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadmaker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:56 AM
CAS

I was wondering about women who dye their hair. When mine started going gray I decided not to dye it, in part because my friends who did all complained about the maintenance. Neither my husband nor I have had our hair professionally cut in decades, so that's not a problem. And we've always done our own nails.

I used to cut the kids' hair when they were younger. Right before everything blew up around here, I cut a friend's hair. They are non-binary, and wanted a very short, masculine haircut and didn't want to deal with a professional trying to talk them out of it. (They look female, and have gorgeous hair.) I am not a terrific barber, and the only tools I had available at the time were a comb and a pair of crafting scissors. But it came out okay. I got a text from them recently effusively thanking me for the haircut, as it would be pretty hard to get it done now. So, that's the most successful haircut I've ever done.

No, I'm not doing housecalls now.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:58 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
when my wife colored at home I helped, but the biggest problem is the gloves they come with are way too small for a man's hand
If you have any other waterproof gloves around the house, they should work fine. (we keep a box near the first aid supplies.)
Old 03-30-2020, 10:01 AM
Non-Actuary

I colour by myself anyway, with henna paste
Old 03-30-2020, 10:09 AM
CAS

I dyed my hair, two different colors. Stage left is vampire red, and your left, my right is shocking blue (the shocking part is that it's actually purple). I've got nothing but compliments so far, but keep in mind the only people that have seen it are some Zoom party attendees, who frankly seemed about as desperate for entertainment as we all are by now.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:10 AM
CAS

i told mrs yoyo that i was either going to grow my hair long again or go all zz top on her with facial hair, her choice, once i retired

she told me "no" on both counts

looks like i might get the long hair after all
Old 03-30-2020, 10:18 AM
SOA

I've been using clippers to trim my own hair for years, so that's not an adjustment. I've found it tougher to motivate myself to shave. But it will get long enough to start itching, and I'll use my beard trimmer without the guard, and then take the rest off with an old timer safety razor (which handles that much growth better than a cartridge.)

My wife has asked me to remove her toe nail polish soon. She doesn't want to do it herself because it would mess up her fingernails, which she has managed to maintain rather well.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:40 AM
Non-Actuary

I had my hair cut probably a week before everything hit the fan, so I'm good there.

I shan't trim my beard however until all this is over.. Maybe the prickly mustache hairs that inevitably drive me insane when they start poking my nose. But I'm letting it ride as much as possible for the time being.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:47 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassy View Post
I had my hair cut probably a week before everything hit the fan, so I'm good there.

I shan't trim my beard however until all this is over.. Maybe the prickly mustache hairs that inevitably drive me insane when they start poking my nose. But I'm letting it ride as much as possible for the time being.
with all the "don't touch your face"stuff, that would drive me crazy. and I see the stray hairs in my peripheral and have to do something about them.

Still want to look good for Mrs. Pat
Old 03-30-2020, 11:00 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Beer-Sheva

I touch my face anyway, I figure with all the social distancing there is so little chance of there being germs around. I am a bit more disciplined on the rare times I am around other people. I got a haircut and beard trim almost 2 weeks ago, it's a small barber shop and they already have health standards in place. I won't go back there until I have to get back in the office. Not bothering with any beard trimming. So far there was one office Zoom meeting where I showed my face on screen, but I could have blocked the video if I wanted. I usually show my face on screen at services and other social events.