Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 9 - Financial Risk & Rate of Return
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 04-08-2020, 11:38 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: Mead actually

This is probably the one and only (fingers crossed) Fall exam 9 thread...

I am probably taking route #3...
Old 04-08-2020, 11:50 AM
CAS

Studying for Exam 9
College: tDEC survivor
Favorite beer: Capt'n Eli's root

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnLevel View Post
How are y'all planning to tackle this? I feel like I have 3 options:

1. Continue studying and risk being exam-ready and burnout too early

2. Try to maintain my current level then ramp up as exam gets closer

3. Take a break, and start studying like I would for a normally scheduled fall exam, so like late June/early July

I'm not sure how to do #2 without losing motivation so I'm leaning towards #1, but I'll probably end up doing #2 because I'm sick of studying.
I'm planning on approaching it like #3, but might restart sometime in May rather than wait all the way to the end of Q2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.lack View Post
Any guesses as to when in October this thing is going to be? Concurrently with the original fall sittings or like a week before?

Naturally, I'm a groomsmen for a good friend's wedding on October 23rd and, the way things have been going, I'm feeling like that's going to be the exam date...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud View Post
MAS-II is currently set for October 23. I don't expect the CAS to drop an upper-level exam on that date, seeing as how it hasn't done that previously and there's clearly dates where say 9 could have been done the same time as an MAS or an old 3 and it didn't. I would also guess they are not doing exams concurrently. They wouldn't want to risk supposedly smart people mixing up exams when collecting them and now someone at the CAS office has to go through however many boxes to re-sort correctly and then track down any missing exams.

AM/PM exams? Really doubtful. Right now a 4-hour exam starts at 8:30am and it's over around 1:00pm by the time everything is picked up and the room cleared. You're probably not getting a 2nd exam ready to start before 1:30pm, and then you're going to 6:00pm to wrap that up. How many candidates really want to still be working on an exam beyond when they usually wrap up the work day?

Different rooms, same location so two exams can run in one day? Not all locations can (will) do that. There's also the matter of getting FCAS to volunteer to proctor.

We're only talking about 2 extra dates here - one for 7, one for 9. I would guess either they'll go immediately after the current dates scheduled (so October 26 and 27) or immediately before (so October 15 and 16).
While I would agree that 15&16 or 26&27 are the most likely dates for 7&9, I would not be so quick to rule out the possibility that CAS will double them up with the MAS exams. I seem to recall hearing that they were investigating the possibilities of doing remote exams due to the epidemic. As multiple choice tests, the MAS exams would be the easiest to administer this way. Plus, both MAS exams either directly or indirectly fall under the CAS's definition of "assumed prior knowledge" for all fellowship exams, so they could assume no one would double up an MAS with 7 or 9 in the same sitting. Most of the logistical complications you cited would be irrelevant if only one in-person exam was held each day (plus I believe LC and ST were successfully administered back-to-back on the same day, but those were shorter exams). Just because the CAS has never done anything like this before doesn't mean they won't try it; they've never had to contend with a situation like COVID-19 before either.
Course on Professionalism [✔]
Old 04-08-2020, 04:30 PM
CAS

Is anyone considering doubling up in the fall? I'm strongly considering 8 & 9, well see how it goes.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:35 PM
CAS

Studying for 9
Favorite beer: Alcoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenDevelopment View Post
Is anyone considering doubling up in the fall? I'm strongly considering 8 & 9, well see how it goes.
I wouldn’t suggest it as you’ll literally be a zombie, but there’s enough time to make it feasible.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:19 PM
CAS

Quote:
Am considering. Have studied for both already.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:27 PM
CAS

Studying for 7
College: B.S. University of TN, M.S. Ohio State
Favorite beer: Spotted Cow

Quote:
I thought about doubling up on 7 & 9 for a few minutes then realized I care too much about my free time. I don't know how 9 is, but 7 has a lot to memorize and I don't want to stress out about having to keep that much material straight in my head.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:36 AM
CAS

Studying for Freedom

I'll continue studying but only on weekend or maybe just Saturday, till I finish all the past exam questions. Then I'll do #3, take a break and resume in July or August depends on my mood.

ACAS 7 8 9
Old 04-09-2020, 04:53 PM
CAS

I have a baby who doesn't like to sleep, so I'll be going through flash cards when I stay up with him. That sounds like #2....
Old 04-09-2020, 08:21 PM
CAS AAA

College: Nebraska

Having taken both 8 and 9 I couldn't imagine doubling up on either. I firmly believe in the "there is no limit to how hard a fellowship exam can be". If I cannot write the syllabus from memory then I'm not ready.

9 took me four tries and 8 took me two. I had one fail prior to fellowship exams. The main issue in both cases was running out of time. I just didn't know the material well enough to maintain the point per minute pace on the exam, but certainly part of the blame was adjusting to parenthood.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:10 PM
CAS

I'll be doing #3. I felt about ready to sit for the exam, so I could keep up material. But a break will be nice.