Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 06-02-2020, 03:16 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Seriously I took a lot of multi-year hiatuses between exams (Largely due to employment issues).

I never had a hard time starting again. And never had any regrets about it. I'd be a lot richer now, though probably about the same level of happy.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 06-02-2020 at 03:22 PM..
Old 06-02-2020, 03:18 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllj View Post
I have my FCAS but don't know if I would do it again despite getting credentialed when single and in my 20s. I make good money but studying for exams and being so career focused no doubt hurt my personal life. I wouldn't use "single and no kids" as the barometer. Do you want to be single and have no kids may be a better barometer. And of course what are you career goals and how much money do you need to sustain the lifestyle you want.
Agree it depends on life goals. Some examples:

Getting married: finish exams.
Professional boxing: take hiatus
Hiking 200 miles: finish exams.
Writing an epic poem: take hiatus.
True love: take hiatus.
World travel: finish exams.
Getting laid: take hiatus.
Forging dragonscale armor: finish exams.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:36 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!
Favorite beer: Blue Moon Belgian White

It's normal to not like the stressful parts of the exam progress. I regretted my career choice every time I felt the stress of studying for an FSA exam.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:02 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens Fan View Post
It's normal to not like the stressful parts of the exam progress. I regretted my career choice every time I felt the stress of studying for an FSA exam.
Yep it's really the stress part that gets into my mind. Also no kids, not married, I would need at least like two years to get done with FSA exams? That is of course if I pass first shot. Anyway, I sometimes wonder if this was the right path for me, future will tell.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:53 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for years

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovChains View Post
Yes that makes sense. I can't even imagine returning to sitting for exams after a break. My first manager told me to never take a break or else I will end up like him.

I just have that fear of never coming back to the field if I take an exam break.
Overly prescriptive advice from your first manager. I stopped at ACAS after failing a few FCAS exam sittings. Advancement path at work seemed to be similar to what I would be getting with FCAS (less money though). I was married with no kids at the time. Then, after a few years break to do whatever I wanted to do (with some CPCUs to scratch the "measurable achievement" itch) I was no longer sick of exams and I decided to try again. Only problem was that I was a dad by that point and had been promoted into management at work, so there was less free time. But I found the time to pass by the skin of my teeth. I think it's wonderful that the actuarial profession allows a person, at least in theory, to stop exams and pick them up later, no matter how much time has passed. I wouldn't think of this as the absolute end of the line if you decide to stop.
Taylor originally called his product "Taylor's Prepared Ham", but was forced to change the name after it failed to meet the new legal definition of "ham" established by the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906.

Last edited by Maximally Qualified; 06-04-2020 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: grammar, kelce grammar
Old 06-04-2020, 10:34 PM
CAS

Studying for Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovChains View Post
Yep it's really the stress part that gets into my mind. Also no kids, not married, I would need at least like two years to get done with FSA exams? That is of course if I pass first shot. Anyway, I sometimes wonder if this was the right path for me, future will tell.
I'm very deep into the exam process, but looking back, the opportunity cost for me to become a FCAS is too high (fail every single fellowship exams multiple times and repeat studying the same material over and over). I still like my job and the industry in general, but I think I may have a more successful career in capital market or biostats (something I was equally interested in back then).

ACAS 7 8 9

Last edited by trueblade; 06-04-2020 at 10:40 PM..