Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > VEE > Finance
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:38 PM
CAS SOA

College: Columbia University

Can someone suggest a good manual? Trying to put in as little time as possible, hence looking for the most efficient manual out there. I heard good things about Big Daddy U?
Old 06-13-2019, 10:50 AM
CAS

Studying for Exam 5
Favorite beer: Yuengling

Passed CPCU 540 a couple of days ago, I'd say the estimates of study time from the original post are accurate. I probably spent 25-30 hours, read the textbook and did the smart practice exams.

Actual test was bit more challenging than I expected but overall not bad, around the same level as the smart exam questions. I agree if you've passed FM and worked in insurance for 3+ years you won't need as much study time, ended up scoring in the 80-89% range. I'd say CPCU 540 is definitely the way to go for finance credit, and CLEP for Econ.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:53 PM
SOA

How long does it take for your grade to become official? Is is similar to the SOA computer exams where you receive an unofficial pass/fail and then wait for 6-8 weeks for your official grade or is it quicker?
Old 06-19-2019, 11:52 AM
SOA

College: Monster University
Favorite beer: Root Beer Count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jractuary0004 View Post
How long does it take for your grade to become official? Is is similar to the SOA computer exams where you receive an unofficial pass/fail and then wait for 6-8 weeks for your official grade or is it quicker?
I received an unofficial pass paper from Prometric testing center as I exited the room. Next day, I got an email from The Institutes that official grade has been posted.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:34 PM
SOA

College: Alumni university of Florida

Is CPCU still SOA approved for finance? I don't see it on the soa website under approved schools/ alternates.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:14 PM
SOA

Studying for STAM
Favorite beer: Sin Tax

Accounting and Finance (the new VEE Corporate Finance) is under Alternate VEE Options > American Institute for CPCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahpignataro View Post
Is CPCU still SOA approved for finance? I don't see it on the soa website under approved schools/ alternates.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:40 AM
Non-Actuary

College: University of Washington

[quote=Cation;9671483]Accounting and Finance (the new VEE Corporate Finance) is under Alternate VEE Options > American Institute for CPCU[/QUOTE

On the information page, it says the end day of CPCU is June.30.2019. Is it still valid for current VEE finance&accounting ?
Old 11-25-2019, 10:13 AM
CAS

[quote=ingenting;9748885]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cation View Post
Accounting and Finance (the new VEE Corporate Finance) is under Alternate VEE Options > American Institute for CPCU[/QUOTE

On the information page, it says the end day of CPCU is June.30.2019. Is it still valid for current VEE finance&accounting ?
You are looking at the wrong spot. It's just going to be called something else but CPCU 540 is still ok for it. I know because I was looking at the wrong spot too.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:15 AM
CAS

Is there any difference between the app and the online exam? I have the online exam, is there any reason for me to get the app too, if I don't need to study on the go?