Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 11-10-2017, 04:38 PM
SOA AAA

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
So many people getting injured.

Thursday games are a bad idea.

Would like to see Thursday night football ended unless it was restricted to teams coming off their bye week.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:19 PM
SOA AAA

Would like to see if there are any studies regarding injuries on Thursday relative to other days of the week.

Also, to see if any team has figured out how to deal with the short week, what with planning and scheduling and all that.
First Thursday of the season excluded from said studies, of course.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:20 PM
SOA AAA

Hey look, one hour ago:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/st...-more-injuries

Upon reading, seems the data are spoiled.
Instead of official injury reports, would like to see number of stoppages in play due to injuries during TNF versus Sundays and Mondays. 'cause that's what I think we see more of when watching them.

Quote:
There's little evidence from injury reports to suggest TNF games and other short rest periods are associated with different injury rates from the typical Sunday-to-Sunday schedule. However, this study is limited by the use of public injury report data, which only accounts for discrete reported injuries that limit players in practices or games rather than wear and tear. Everybody's hurt, but only a few of those are reported as injured. I am in no position to tell an NFL player how they feel after four versus seven days of rest, and analyses that better measure the players' actual health before and after these games are needed.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.

Last edited by Dr T Non-Fan; 11-10-2017 at 06:25 PM..
Old 11-10-2017, 06:24 PM
SOA AAA

Another question: does TNF HAVE to be scheduled for the next few years, or can it be dropped?
Agreed on Bye-week teams. I mean, that is how the college football teams do it if they schedule have Thursday games.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
I hope the Seahawks get fined for how they handled Wilson being told to forget checked. That was bullshit and dangerous by the team.

Official says go to the sidelines and get checked for a concussion, you should effing do that.
Aren’t the Seahawks notorious for trying to skirt rules? They’ve been fined for violating practice rules, etc.

They need to hit them with a draft pick and make an example. Money fine would mean nothing.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:33 AM
CAS

Studying for nothing at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastator View Post
Aren’t the Seahawks notorious for trying to skirt rules? They’ve been fined for violating practice rules, etc.

They need to hit them with a draft pick and make an example. Money fine would mean nothing.
The practice thing I think is very different.
Those fines, loss of draft picks and loss of OTA were due to players practicing too aggressively in OTAs and the coaches not controlling the practice/encourage the aggression (continued contact in non-contact 7 on 7 was the crime).
https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/...out-Rules.aspx

This seemed completely unrelated. Was Wilson defying the rules and independent medical staff not doing their job.

Wilson should directly receive a fine, and a significant one to deter this behavior from other players.

I think giving the Hawks the maximum penalty available under the rules for a first time offense of this is appropriate. I think bringing in unrelated violations from years ago is excessive.

True, the final paragraph of the NFL seems like it could be stretched to include this, but that seems like a pretty big stretch, considering there is nothing about this Concussion testing in the CBA

Quote:
The Seahawks were also advised that any additional violation of the CBA's player work rules, or any violation affecting the competitive aspects of the game, will likely result in significantly higher fines, the cancellation of future OTA days, minicamp days, preseason or regular season practices, as well as the forfeiture of higher-round or multiple draft selections.

Bourbon(16)
Pappy Van Winkle-Family Reserve 15yr & lot "B" 12yr
Baker's 7yr
Blanton's
Knob Creek - 9yr
Basil Hayden
Maker's Mark - 46 & Cask Strength
Woodford Reserve
Jack Daniel's-Gentleman Jack, Single Barrel & Old #7
Four Roses Small Batch
Noah's Mill
Kirkland Bourbon - 7yr

Rye(6)
Angle Envy's - Finished Rye
Ravenswood Rye
Bulleit
High West - Double Rye
Whistle Pig - 10 yr
Old Overholt

Scotch(4)
Glenfiddich - The Distiller's Edition
Tomatin 12yr
The Dimple Pinch - 15 yr
Dewar's White Label

Irish(6)

Middleton Very Rare
Redbreast 12yr
Bushmill - Single Malt 16 yr
Connemarai
Jameson - Caskmates Stout and Regular
Old 11-12-2017, 08:04 PM
SOA AAA

Falcons seem to have rediscovered their mojo against the Cowboys today. Will be a tough game for the Hawks next week with all their injuries on defence.

Alan
Old 11-12-2017, 08:18 PM
CAS

Studying for nothing at all

It doesn't look promising.
Hopefully the Oline can come together on the faux bye

Bourbon(16)
Pappy Van Winkle-Family Reserve 15yr & lot "B" 12yr
Baker's 7yr
Blanton's
Knob Creek - 9yr
Basil Hayden
Maker's Mark - 46 & Cask Strength
Woodford Reserve
Jack Daniel's-Gentleman Jack, Single Barrel & Old #7
Four Roses Small Batch
Noah's Mill
Kirkland Bourbon - 7yr

Rye(6)
Angle Envy's - Finished Rye
Ravenswood Rye
Bulleit
High West - Double Rye
Whistle Pig - 10 yr
Old Overholt

Scotch(4)
Glenfiddich - The Distiller's Edition
Tomatin 12yr
The Dimple Pinch - 15 yr
Dewar's White Label

Irish(6)

Middleton Very Rare
Redbreast 12yr
Bushmill - Single Malt 16 yr
Connemarai
Jameson - Caskmates Stout and Regular
Old 11-15-2017, 12:24 AM
SOA AAA

Byron Maxwell is back. Not Richard Sherman's calibre but good to have him back if he's healthy.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:05 AM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

Big week for Falcons this week - off the top of my head, a win would give us tiebreaker over Seahawks as well as Lions and Cowboys.

Let’s hope for a good game.

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.