Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > MFE
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-13-2017, 07:53 PM
CAS

After getting EL up to 8.5, I'm consistently getting 28-29 on level 5-6s now. I keep missing a question here and there on greeks or exotic options. Overall, I feel pretty confident though. One week out, so I'll probably just do a few more level 5-6s and review Greeks/chooser options. I really don't even want to bother with the lookback formulas..
Old 11-13-2017, 11:16 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for MFE
College: University of Nebraska (alma mater)
Favorite beer: Captain Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp019372 View Post
After getting EL up to 8.5, I'm consistently getting 28-29 on level 5-6s now. I keep missing a question here and there on greeks or exotic options. Overall, I feel pretty confident though. One week out, so I'll probably just do a few more level 5-6s and review Greeks/chooser options. I really don't even want to bother with the lookback formulas..
I'm in a similar boat, at EL of 7.5. Once you master the formulas the problems get very boring. Right now I just care about staying healthy and alert and hoping there's no big surprises on the test.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:30 AM
SOA

I'm left with two days to exam and I'm worried that how I should go about. I didn't have much time to practice again all those questions I did right, but marked them on Adapt and Manual. I still have to memorize formulas that haven't been in practice such as Greek like Thetha. I've done 17 exams and I think it should be enough.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:05 PM
SOA

Studying for MFE

EL of 6.8 and writing exam in 1 day.

I feel OK as long as there are no surprises.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:29 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2actuary View Post
I'm left with two days to exam and I'm worried that how I should go about. I didn't have much time to practice again all those questions I did right, but marked them on Adapt and Manual. I still have to memorize formulas that haven't been in practice such as Greek like Thetha. I've done 17 exams and I think it should be enough.
I would spend time solidifying concepts you are having trouble with. Memorize formulas for delta, rho, and psi (or how to derive them quickly). Those three shouldn't give you much trouble. Don't worry about the other greeks until you feel comfortable with the main body of the material. That's my two cents.

I'm only at an EL of 5.3, but I'm not sitting until the 20th. I'm feeling okay right now. I have a MUCH better grasp of everything than the last time I took it. And I feel like I still have enough time to practice the tougher problems.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:31 PM
CAS

I will try one more time tonight to get my EL over 6.5 hopefully, writing a PE after a long day of work is just exhausting.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:38 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_flukes View Post
I would spend time solidifying concepts you are having trouble with. Memorize formulas for delta, rho, and psi (or how to derive them quickly). Those three shouldn't give you much trouble. Don't worry about the other greeks until you feel comfortable with the main body of the material. That's my two cents.

I'm only at an EL of 5.3, but I'm not sitting until the 20th. I'm feeling okay right now. I have a MUCH better grasp of everything than the last time I took it. And I feel like I still have enough time to practice the tougher problems.
I know all formulas apart from Thetha and Vega may he, but still revision is very important. I dont touch manual while doing exam. I have had good progress in Adapt exam and done extremely well exams under 7. I hope that Adapt is very close to MFE like It was for P.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:00 AM
CAS

Studying for MFE
College: UCB
Favorite beer: Blue Moon

Can't get past the 6.5 hurdle on Adapt, but I'm comfortably passing level 5s. Some questions on adapt are just worded really weirdly and honestly I get lost so much on the whole cash flow vs value idea.

Gonna start quizzes tomorrow. Have to say it's weird that all the sections I thought would be easy while learning the material actually ended up harder, and vice versa. Hoping for tons of interest rate models and black scholes on the actual exam..
Old 11-15-2017, 11:05 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranta View Post
Can't get past the 6.5 hurdle on Adapt, but I'm comfortably passing level 5s. Some questions on adapt are just worded really weirdly and honestly I get lost so much on the whole cash flow vs value idea.

Gonna start quizzes tomorrow. Have to say it's weird that all the sections I thought would be easy while learning the material actually ended up harder, and vice versa. Hoping for tons of interest rate models and black scholes on the actual exam..
I got 4-5 questions on interest rate models/black formula on my exam last sitting. That's what screwed me up b/c I wasn't as comfortable with them at the time. This time, I'm ready for them!
Old 11-15-2017, 11:10 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for MFE
College: University of Nebraska (alma mater)
Favorite beer: Captain Morgan
Default Number of stocks to replicate

One thing that has confused me lately is "calculate the number of shares to replicate this option." I'm good at the formulas and know how to calculate delta or the number of shares to delta-hedge. But sometimes the question is implying to give the answer for delta, and sometimes the question is implying to give the opposite sign. Does anybody have a tip for which one to give? Thanks.