Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-15-2017, 01:04 AM
Idiot's Avatar
Idiot Idiot is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
College: ITT Tech
Posts: 214
Default offer with no onsite interview?

have you ever seen/been in a situation where an offer is given without an onsite interview? the position will be onsite but the candidate is currently away and will need to move for the job. the interviews have been over the phone and through video chat. thoughts on the likelihood of this and the implications?
__________________
exam 666
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-15-2017, 01:08 AM
Colonel Smoothie's Avatar
Colonel Smoothie Colonel Smoothie is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Posts: 44,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiot View Post
have you ever seen/been in a situation where an offer is given without an onsite interview? the position will be onsite but the candidate is currently away and will need to move for the job. the interviews have been over the phone and through video chat. thoughts on the likelihood of this and the implications?
My internship offer was done with just phone interviews. I was at another company sometime later where we hired someone FT from an overseas US territory, and the interviews were done via Skype.
__________________
Recommended Readings for the EL Actuary || Recommended Readings for the EB Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-15-2017, 01:14 AM
Idiot's Avatar
Idiot Idiot is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
College: ITT Tech
Posts: 214
Default

thanks as always CS. the situation I'm in is that in the interest of time and scheduling, they preferred not to schedule an onsite. Idk, I kinda want to see the office cuz i wouldn't want to show up on the first day of work and find out it's a total dump (which I have seen before)
__________________
exam 666
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-15-2017, 01:15 AM
jakerr jakerr is offline
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
College: University in The North
Posts: 16
Default

My internship was through skype as well but I think that it's harder to leave an impression as opposed to an onsite interview.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-15-2017, 02:01 AM
Westley Westley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 25,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiot View Post
Idk, I kinda want to see the office cuz i wouldn't want to show up on the first day of work and find out it's a total dump (which I have seen before)
Legit concern, especially if the office is in Chevy Chase Maryland.

I would not want to do this, but all job offers/acceptances are just bets on whether and how well something will work out, there's no sure thing. Do what you can to find out info and then make your best guess.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-15-2017, 02:25 AM
Colonel Smoothie's Avatar
Colonel Smoothie Colonel Smoothie is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Posts: 44,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiot View Post
thanks as always CS. the situation I'm in is that in the interest of time and scheduling, they preferred not to schedule an onsite. Idk, I kinda want to see the office cuz i wouldn't want to show up on the first day of work and find out it's a total dump (which I have seen before)
Nice offices can really make your day, every day. This one place I worked, had the most amazing bathrooms. It almost made me forget about the stress that comes with a 40% expense ratio.
__________________
Recommended Readings for the EL Actuary || Recommended Readings for the EB Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-15-2017, 02:28 AM
extrovertedactuary extrovertedactuary is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: West of Nowhere
College: State
Posts: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiot View Post
have you ever seen/been in a situation where an offer is given without an onsite interview? the position will be onsite but the candidate is currently away and will need to move for the job. the interviews have been over the phone and through video chat. thoughts on the likelihood of this and the implications?
I got a couple internship offers and a full-time entry-level offer without onsite interviews. Some companies do that.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-15-2017, 10:15 AM
TwoStep's Avatar
TwoStep TwoStep is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Studying for All done!
Posts: 918
Default

I never had an in person interview at my current job. Everyone, including my boss, were scattered all over the country and some companies don't want to pay for flights/hotels for interviewees.

I know we've hired a lot of other people that way.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-15-2017, 01:04 PM
Strider's Avatar
Strider Strider is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Nice offices can really make your day, every day. This one place I worked, had the most amazing bathrooms. It almost made me forget about the stress that comes with a 40% expense ratio.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-15-2017, 01:35 PM
Idiot's Avatar
Idiot Idiot is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
College: ITT Tech
Posts: 214
Default

3-ply toilet paper? super strong flush? heated seats? which brand of mouthwash? what else should i ask about?
__________________
exam 666
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.30947 seconds with 11 queries