Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 11-15-2017, 01:04 AM
CAS

College: ITT Tech
Default offer with no onsite interview?

have you ever seen/been in a situation where an offer is given without an onsite interview? the position will be onsite but the candidate is currently away and will need to move for the job. the interviews have been over the phone and through video chat. thoughts on the likelihood of this and the implications?
Old 11-15-2017, 01:08 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiot View Post
have you ever seen/been in a situation where an offer is given without an onsite interview? the position will be onsite but the candidate is currently away and will need to move for the job. the interviews have been over the phone and through video chat. thoughts on the likelihood of this and the implications?
My internship offer was done with just phone interviews. I was at another company sometime later where we hired someone FT from an overseas US territory, and the interviews were done via Skype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:14 AM
CAS

thanks as always CS. the situation I'm in is that in the interest of time and scheduling, they preferred not to schedule an onsite. Idk, I kinda want to see the office cuz i wouldn't want to show up on the first day of work and find out it's a total dump (which I have seen before)
Old 11-15-2017, 01:15 AM
CAS SOA

College: University in The North

My internship was through skype as well but I think that it's harder to leave an impression as opposed to an onsite interview.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Idk, I kinda want to see the office cuz i wouldn't want to show up on the first day of work and find out it's a total dump (which I have seen before)
Legit concern, especially if the office is in Chevy Chase Maryland.

I would not want to do this, but all job offers/acceptances are just bets on whether and how well something will work out, there's no sure thing. Do what you can to find out info and then make your best guess.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:25 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
thanks as always CS. the situation I'm in is that in the interest of time and scheduling, they preferred not to schedule an onsite. Idk, I kinda want to see the office cuz i wouldn't want to show up on the first day of work and find out it's a total dump (which I have seen before)
Nice offices can really make your day, every day. This one place I worked, had the most amazing bathrooms. It almost made me forget about the stress that comes with a 40% expense ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:28 AM
CAS SOA

College: State

Quote:
I got a couple internship offers and a full-time entry-level offer without onsite interviews. Some companies do that.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:15 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for All done!

I never had an in person interview at my current job. Everyone, including my boss, were scattered all over the country and some companies don't want to pay for flights/hotels for interviewees.

I know we've hired a lot of other people that way.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:04 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Nice offices can really make your day, every day. This one place I worked, had the most amazing bathrooms. It almost made me forget about the stress that comes with a 40% expense ratio.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:35 PM
CAS

3-ply toilet paper? super strong flush? heated seats? which brand of mouthwash? what else should i ask about?