Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions



Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee First Ballot Candidates are posted - Post questions to candidates here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-27-2018, 07:38 PM
Aristides The Just's Avatar
Aristides The Just Aristides The Just is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 4
Default Why did the CAS stop posting the minutes of Board Meetings?

It came to my attention in the "Stronger as One" thread that in September of 2016 the CAS stopped publishing the minutes to all board meetings online, and changed the policy so that they are only available upon written request.

My question to any past or present member of the CAS board that was involved in this decision is, why?

Certainly the explanation may be entirely innocent. In fact since no one seemed to notice until now, perhaps the CAS was simply sparing their web developers the effort of putting the minutes on the website when no one cared enough to read them.

On the other hand, the timing is fairly suspicious. The change was implemented in September of 2016. According to the Stronger As One website, collaboration discussions began just 3 months later. I would hate to think this policy was implemented simply as a way for the CAS board to avoid the scrutiny of their members as they explored collaboration opportunities with the SOA that ultimately led to the current unifying proposal.

I'm sure I'm not alone among CAS members who would appreciate more transparency, both about the decision to stop publishing the minutes, and the context of the board meetings that led us to this point.

Last edited by Aristides The Just; 09-28-2018 at 08:08 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-27-2018, 07:42 PM
Herodotus Herodotus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 63
Default

I had believed it was part of the general movement of the CAS to hide their information and decision-making from the SOA. I am now less certain of that.

It is a very unfortunate change, whyever it was made.
__________________
"Just as God gave different fingers to the hand, so has He given different ways to men." Mongke Khan
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-09-2018, 01:42 PM
earthsunmoonsky's Avatar
earthsunmoonsky earthsunmoonsky is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Middle America
Studying for my final exam!!!!!!!!!!!
Favorite beer: cold, free
Posts: 572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristides The Just View Post
It came to my attention in the "Stronger as One" thread that in September of 2016 the CAS stopped publishing the minutes to all board meetings online, and changed the policy so that they are only available upon written request.

My question to any past or present member of the CAS board that was involved in this decision is, why?

Certainly the explanation may be entirely innocent. In fact since no one seemed to notice until now, perhaps the CAS was simply sparing their web developers the effort of putting the minutes on the website when no one cared enough to read them.

On the other hand, the timing is fairly suspicious. The change was implemented in September of 2016. According to the Stronger As One website, collaboration discussions began just 3 months later. I would hate to think this policy was implemented simply as a way for the CAS board to avoid the scrutiny of their members as they explored collaboration opportunities with the SOA that ultimately led to the current unifying proposal.

I'm sure I'm not alone among CAS members who would appreciate more transparency, both about the decision to stop publishing the minutes, and the context of the board meetings that led us to this point.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-09-2018, 02:01 PM
redearedslider's Avatar
redearedslider redearedslider is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 13,392
Default

Let the sunshine in!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Weishaus View Post
ASM does not have a discussion of stimulation, but considering how boring the manual is, maybe it would be a good idea.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-11-2018, 10:47 AM
Mud Mud is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: In someone's head
Studying for Hawaii, 2019
Favorite beer: Not beer
Posts: 118
Default

I think someone (or maybe a number of someones) needs to make a written request. I'm curious how much of the minutes can be publicly shared, but I'm really curious how much detail was kept at the newly-secret minutes. [Did substantive details on this merger get captured, or was it all glossed over at a really high level as in, "members reported back on discussions held with the SOA at a meeting in April."

Also thinking that Fellows should demand and approve a by-law change requiring all minutes from the Board of Directors and Executive Council to be published and made available to all members online. [Because we Associates can't vote on it.]
__________________
ACAS
8 - currently in progress
9
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-11-2018, 11:12 AM
Avi's Avatar
Avi Avi is offline
Wiki Contributor
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
CAS AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY
Studying for the rest of my life.
College: Alumnus - Queens College - CUNY
Favorite beer: Stone Ruination IPA
Posts: 14,093
Blog Entries: 3
Default

I'm pretty sure that minutes of discussions that happen ini executive session cannot be made public.
__________________
All scientists defer only to physicists
Physicists defer only to mathematicians
Mathematicians defer only to G-d!

--with apologies to Dr. Leon Lederman
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-11-2018, 12:29 PM
PeppermintPatty's Avatar
PeppermintPatty PeppermintPatty is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 38,456
Default

Yes, but why was this hidden in executive session? This wasn't something intrinsically private like discussinga salary. Rather, it's something that directly affects members, and could have been openly discussed.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-11-2018, 01:24 PM
Marcie's Avatar
Marcie Marcie is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 8,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
Yes, but why was this hidden in executive session? This wasn't something intrinsically private like discussinga salary. Rather, it's something that directly affects members, and could have been openly discussed.


Are there rules about what can be considered sensitive enough to require executive session, or can a board keep all of its activities secret if it really wants to?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-11-2018, 01:27 PM
Marcie's Avatar
Marcie Marcie is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 8,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud View Post
I think someone (or maybe a number of someones) needs to make a written request. I'm curious how much of the minutes can be publicly shared, but I'm really curious how much detail was kept at the newly-secret minutes. [Did substantive details on this merger get captured, or was it all glossed over at a really high level as in, "members reported back on discussions held with the SOA at a meeting in April."

Also thinking that Fellows should demand and approve a by-law change requiring all minutes from the Board of Directors and Executive Council to be published and made available to all members online. [Because we Associates can't vote on it.]
Mud, are you a member of the social group that Patricia started for P/C actuaries to discuss the merger proposal?

One of the members of that group posted a link to the minutes s/he had received by request.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-11-2018, 08:57 PM
Mud Mud is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: In someone's head
Studying for Hawaii, 2019
Favorite beer: Not beer
Posts: 118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
Mud, are you a member of the social group that Patricia started for P/C actuaries to discuss the merger proposal?

One of the members of that group posted a link to the minutes s/he had received by request.
Gasp - forgot all about that. I'll get in touch with her.
__________________
ACAS
8 - currently in progress
9
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.31698 seconds with 11 queries