Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-15-2015, 09:18 AM
CAS

i got bored with mine pretty quick. sold on ebay, made $50.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:33 PM

Got our Echo this weekend. The sound is so so (nothing like our small Sonos) and its ability to answer somewhat easy questions is lacking but its voice recognition is great. Both I and the wife like having it in the bathroom and being able to shout commands while taking a shower. Seems good enough to justify the $100 I spent, probably won't be spending $150 to get another though.

I haven't used the Fire Tv voice search much as we prefer the Roku software but I think the Echo is even better than the Fires. At this point I'm ready for this tech to turn on/off a ton of different devices as it just works great... even with a mumbler like myself. My cars voice recognition from 2011 is basically non functional for me.

Software this good that controlled my cars Nav, phone, radio...etc. would be a major selling point for me to upgrade.

Last edited by lulzEMH; 06-07-2015 at 10:45 PM..
Old 06-08-2015, 01:11 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulzEMH View Post
Got our Echo this weekend. The sound is so so (nothing like our small Sonos) and its ability to answer somewhat easy questions is lacking but its voice recognition is great. Both I and the wife like having it in the bathroom and being able to shout commands while taking a shower. Seems good enough to justify the $100 I spent, probably won't be spending $150 to get another though.

I haven't used the Fire Tv voice search much as we prefer the Roku software but I think the Echo is even better than the Fires. At this point I'm ready for this tech to turn on/off a ton of different devices as it just works great... even with a mumbler like myself. My cars voice recognition from 2011 is basically non functional for me.

Software this good that controlled my cars Nav, phone, radio...etc. would be a major selling point for me to upgrade.
Caution, off topic ahead.

I think this is going to be the huge draw for Android Auto and whatever Apple's thingy is called. They will allow you to just connect your phone which will do all the work (downloading data, uploading voice queries, holding your music, have a cell connection, etc). The first couple of generations were basically a whole other system that you had to load mp3s on, have ancient maps, limited to no traffic info, etc. This is the way it should be.

Back on topic, I love the quality of Sonos, but I hate how they are pretty much standalone. They have a buggy version of Chromecasting that only works with Google Music and pretty much can only make it through about a half dozen songs before you have to relaunch it. I'm still holding my breath on Chromecast for Audio. Hopefully it has voice control built in.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:50 AM

Favorite beer: Four Loko

http://www.androidcentral.com/echo-d...ommand-devices

So, the new "Dot" is kinda like an Amazon-Echo version of Chromecast Audio - you hook it up to existing speakers to add Echo functionality. For some reason this is only being offered to people who already own an Echo - you have to order it through Echo itself.

Edit: Actually the Dot does have its own "small speaker". I wonder how decent it is? Still, the sales restriction thing is so odd.

And the "Tap" is a portable, cordless Echo that you have to, you guessed it, tap to get its attention.

Neither make me go "hooray".

Last edited by Pseudolus; 03-03-2016 at 09:53 AM..
Old 03-03-2016, 10:10 AM
SOA

So FireTV got upgraded to Alexa. It's pretty neat, I asked it a few questions and it got the answers. I don't know if it's functionality that I need on my counter at all times though
Old 03-03-2016, 10:39 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
So FireTV got upgraded to Alexa. It's pretty neat, I asked it a few questions and it got the answers. I don't know if it's functionality that I need on my counter at all times though
The search upgrade I want on Fire TV is cross-platform voice search. I want Netflix voice search on Fire TV more than I want Alexa on Fire TV.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:55 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
The search upgrade I want on Fire TV is cross-platform voice search. I want Netflix voice search on Fire TV more than I want Alexa on Fire TV.
Agree 100%. It's more likely the FireTV evolves the ability to make you breakfast, but this is the main feature that I see being clamored for on the internets.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:58 AM
CAS

sexy new look, CG
Old 03-03-2016, 10:59 AM
SOA

how you doin?
Old 03-03-2016, 11:04 AM
CAS

Studying for nothing at all

I pretty much only use my echo to play music or set alarms when cooking. I always forget to use it for anything else.

It is very useful for music and multiple cooking timers.

Just wish I could change the command name to "computer" so I can feel like Picard.

Bourbon(16)
Pappy Van Winkle-Family Reserve 15yr & lot "B" 12yr
Baker's 7yr
Blanton's
Knob Creek - 9yr
Basil Hayden
Maker's Mark - 46 & Cask Strength
Woodford Reserve
Jack Daniel's-Gentleman Jack, Single Barrel & Old #7
Four Roses Small Batch
Noah's Mill
Kirkland Bourbon - 7yr