Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:17 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
how you doin?
bow chicka wow wow
Old 03-03-2016, 01:48 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudolus View Post
http://www.androidcentral.com/echo-d...ommand-devices

So, the new "Dot" is kinda like an Amazon-Echo version of Chromecast Audio - you hook it up to existing speakers to add Echo functionality. For some reason this is only being offered to people who already own an Echo - you have to order it through Echo itself.

Edit: Actually the Dot does have its own "small speaker". I wonder how decent it is? Still, the sales restriction thing is so odd.

And the "Tap" is a portable, cordless Echo that you have to, you guessed it, tap to get its attention.

Neither make me go "hooray".
My guess is that the Dot doesn't do anything itself, per se. I'm guessing all the processing and whatnot is done by the Echo and the Dot just regurgitates it. I haven't looked into it deeply though.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:12 PM

I got an Echo for Christmas. We have it in the kitchen. It's been good for music, timers, and weather. I can ask Alexa for weather on any specific day of the week, and she has a short forecast. I've been exploring the smart house (lights, thermostat, etc.) compatibility side of it in recent weeks but haven't bought anything yet.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
My guess is that the Dot doesn't do anything itself, per se. I'm guessing all the processing and whatnot is done by the Echo and the Dot just regurgitates it. I haven't looked into it deeply though.
It looks like the Dot is the same as the Echo but with a smartphone sized speaker. It can connect to a better speaker via Bluetooth or audio cable, but otherwise has the same features as Alexa. Perhaps the purchase restriction is targeted to people who want a 2nd Echo in a different part of the house but don't want to pay full price for a second full-size Echo? I don't see a description about the devices being able to talk to each other through the Echo/Dot, but that would be a nice feature to add in the future.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:36 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzookz View Post
It looks like the Dot is the same as the Echo but with a smartphone sized speaker. It can connect to a better speaker via Bluetooth or audio cable, but otherwise has the same features as Alexa. Perhaps the purchase restriction is targeted to people who want a 2nd Echo in a different part of the house but don't want to pay full price for a second full-size Echo? I don't see a description about the devices being able to talk to each other through the Echo/Dot, but that would be a nice feature to add in the future.
Ok, then I guess the correct answer is "to avoid cannibalizing the original Echo."
Old 03-03-2016, 02:44 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Kwak

Sounds like Dot is primarily a voice receiver, and Tap is for high-quality playback. I'm still not getting any of the 3 Echos because I expect they'll release a vastly superior version within the next 6 months.

http://lifehacker.com/amazon-split-t...a-d-1762620816

Quote:
The Echo Dot is a miniature version of the existing Amazon Echo. It hears your voice commands from anywhere in the room it’s placed in. The key difference seems to be that it doesn’t have the same high-quality built in speakers that the Echo has for playing music. You can connect external speakers that Alexa can control, but the Dot’s main focus is on the microphone hardware and voice controls.

The Amazon Tap seems to be the other half of the Echo that Amazon cut in half to make the Dot. While the Tap has high quality speakers for playing music, you have to press a button on the device to issue a voice command. You can’t just speak to it from across the room. This can save you a bit of money versus the Echo if you don’t mind pressing a button to activate (or even if you prefer having a manual control, instead of an always-on microphone).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
you are a visionary
Old 03-03-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral Omen View Post
Sounds like Dot is primarily a voice receiver, and Tap is for high-quality playback. I'm still not getting any of the 3 Echos because I expect they'll release a vastly superior version within the next 6 months.

http://lifehacker.com/amazon-split-t...a-d-1762620816
I don't know that much about the guts of these components. Will it be hardware upgrades or upgrades to the Alexa voice service?
Old 03-03-2016, 02:49 PM

They've had news like this about every week or two this year.

Quote:
Nest and Alexa working together

“Alexa, set my bedroom thermostat to 68 degrees,” you say. And your Amazon Echo or Amazon Fire TV will connect to the Nest Learning Thermostat in your bedroom. And turn up the heat.

Nest’s first official collaboration with Amazon Alexa will go live in a couple weeks. The connection is simple – you can tell Alexa to turn the temperature up or down. But Alexa can also learn new Skills. So you’ll be able to say “Alexa, tell the thermostat that I’m too hot.” Or ask about the temperature and humidity. Or tell it that you’re leaving.

If you have an IFTTT system in place, you have more options. Nest and Alexa already have over 50 recipes that allow you to turn on the fan or just say “good morning” to turn up the heat. Alexa will even listen if you have a Vivint home automation system.

Since 2014, Works with Nest products – from air vents to door bells – have connected to Nest through their apps or the web. But our favorite interactions may be through voice commands. It really feels like you’re living in the future.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:05 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Kwak

Quote:
But our favorite interactions may be through voice commands. It really feels like you’re living in the future.
or in the past, depending on where you're from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
you are a visionary
Old 03-04-2016, 09:26 AM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzookz View Post
Perhaps the purchase restriction is targeted to people who want a 2nd Echo in a different part of the house but don't want to pay full price for a second full-size Echo?
I think it's also to show people how easy it is to order things with the Echo.

I ordered a Dot. The real audience/market for the Dot is probably the growing Home Automation crowd. Echo is by far the best way to use voice control for home automation stuff and as you mentioned, they add features regularly. I can already adjust my thermostats through the Echo with the integration with SmartThings, as well as turn on/off/dim lights, trigger scenes and TV activities through Harmony remote.

Talk about the future. Yesterday I was on the floor in our family room and the wife wanted to see the Finding Dory trailer, so I asked Alexa to turn on Apple TV, then used my Apple Watch to control Apple TV and launch the trailer all while on the floor playing with my infant.

Last edited by sticks1839; 03-04-2016 at 09:30 AM..