Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:17 PM
CAS

I have the Moto X4 with Google Fi. It's not as fast or slick as the Pixel, and the camera is a notch below, but the battery is good, I can plug in an external data chip (my phone is my photo gallery, and I also carry around a lot of music) it still has a jack for earphones, and hey, it even has a built-in FM radio that I've been using lately because the radio in my car died.

Google Fi gets worse reception where I live than StraightTalk (reselling AT&T) did. But it's good enough, and it's AWESOME when I travel, since it just works as soon as the plane sets down. Data costs the same everywhere I've been as it does at home. I don't make a lot of phone calls, but can use hmm, Google Hangouts to do that over wifi. Google hangouts also works like Facetime if I want to video conference someone.

Also, it's dead easy to create a hotspot with my phone, and I've used that to connect my laptop in some remote places that don't have wifi.

My widgets and such all work. We probably have different widgets.

Google has been good about pushing updates to this mid-priced phone, too.

I'd like a better camera, and I miss wireless charging, but with modern quick charging it's not that big a deal.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:03 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Google has an event starting in a few minutes. Likely announced will be Pixel 3 (regular and XL), a Surface-like tablet with keyboard cover, light updates to the Pixelbook, and an assistant device with a screen. Probably lots of other odds and ends. Pre-orders will happen after the event.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:36 PM
SOA

Pixel 3 starting at $799 with 128gb storage (unlimited for google photos). Showed some fancy software tricks and camera tech, with a couple shots fired at Apple. I'm going to have to see the pixel 3 in person before I decide between it and the Xs, but it is rather tempting.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:47 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

$799 with 64gb, $899 with 128gb. XL is +$100 on each.

I'm very surprised the extra $100 doesn't get you 256gb.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:56 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
$799 with 64gb, $899 with 128gb. XL is +$100 on each.

I'm very surprised the extra $100 doesn't get you 256gb.
Oh dang, was excited for the 128. I think the 64 will still be fine for me though without worrying about photo and video space.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:10 PM
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

I've heard the OnePlus brand is good. I just buy cheap phones, so can't comment on any of these.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:39 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDucky View Post
I've heard the OnePlus brand is good. I just buy cheap phones, so can't comment on any of these.
i've owned 3 of them, good value. i'm on the 5 now. holding out for what i hope is a notchless future

pixel phones are much more expensive that 1+ phones, but i might get one next time around
Old 10-10-2018, 06:25 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
I do like the potential to join Google Fi and dump ATT (and my parents).
Why dump your parents? What have they done to you?
Old 10-11-2018, 03:58 PM
SOA

I like that they added wireless charging but otherwise it's a pretty "meh" incremental update.

And that notch on the XL is hideous and seems like it would really screw up playing certain games, to say nothing of the already crowded notification area. Hard pass for me
Old 10-11-2018, 04:02 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money
Favorite beer: Wurzel Bier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
To touch on a couple of issues in this thread. Also, credentials: I repair phones (mostly Apple) for a living and have used Android for nearly 10 years.

twig: You may want to give Duo a shot. It is cross-platform and we use it talk to the kids on my mom's iPhone from our Android phones regularly. It works really well.

Samsung phones: They are garbage and I'd recommend not buying them. They are expensive/difficult to repair, very crashy, and updates take forever if they come at all. Build quality is all over the place.

Android vs iPhone: Get whatever those around you have. They are your tech support. App parity is nearly a given. As long as you get the only Android worth getting (Pixel), cameras are great on both, with maybe a slight edge going to Pixel over the iPhones (though I haven't checked out the latest gen iPhone camera and Pixel 3 is not out yet).

Fi: I use it and it is great. We travel to Canada, but we use WhatsApp for calls while up there. Data and texting is the same in most (all?) countries. Worst case, we pay $.20 per minute for calls to make a reservation at a restaurant or whatever. Depending on your data usage, there may be better deals out there such as Cricket or StraightTalk. We also have 3 data only SIMs on our Fi account for the iPads. We pay only for data we use on those.
What's that website you recommend for buying a used phone? I know you posted it in another thread a while back, but I can't find it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
I would really hate to bring Pokémon to a gun fight.