Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 10-11-2018, 04:19 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
And that notch on the XL is hideous and seems like it would really screw up playing certain games, to say nothing of the already crowded notification area. Hard pass for me
The "notch" is essentially them cheating the screen size calculation IMO. I don't really notice much of anything actually utilizing that part of the screen, including games. That said, I don't play a lot of games on my phone, so it's quite possible there are games that would be negatively impacted that I simply don't play.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:31 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
What's that website you recommend for buying a used phone? I know you posted it in another thread a while back, but I can't find it now.
probably Swappa, that's what someone here recommended to me. I have had excellent experience with it, both as a buyer and as a seller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
I like that they added wireless charging but otherwise it's a pretty "meh" incremental update.

And that notch on the XL is hideous and seems like it would really screw up playing certain games, to say nothing of the already crowded notification area. Hard pass for me
I have zero interest in the giant one, anyway. I am slightly interested in the smaller one.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:34 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money
Favorite beer: Wurzel Bier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
probably Swappa, that's what someone here recommended to me. I have had excellent experience with it, both as a buyer and as a seller.
That was it, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
I would really hate to bring Pokémon to a gun fight.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:42 PM
CAS

Hmm, I seem to have 47gb of stuff on my current phone (between internal and external memory), so I'd want the bigger memory, to have some margin. And I'd miss the headphone jack and the FM radio I have in my current phone. (although if I didn't drive a lemon whose radio sometimes inexplicably needs a hard reboot from the dealer, I might not miss the FM radio.)
Old 10-11-2018, 04:43 PM
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

Quote:
Hmm, I seem to have 47gb of stuff on my current phone (between internal and external memory), so I'd want the bigger memory, to have some margin. And I'd miss the headphone jack and the FM radio I have in my current phone. (although if I didn't drive a lemon whose radio sometimes inexplicably needs a hard reboot from the dealer, I might not miss the FM radio.)
Google drive auto backup
Old 10-11-2018, 04:44 PM
SOA

I'm glad I updated last year and got the Pixel 2XL since the 3XL this year is pretty hideous.

I've been on Project Fi for years and have no complaints. It's great when I travel.

The overwhelming complaint I hear about switching from iPhone to Android is messaging (and the lack of iMessage specifically). If you're in the US and most of your friends/family use iMessage the switch might be a little more painful. Be prepared to deal with complaints about pictures/videos sent as MMS being poor quality and about your chat bubble being green instead of blue (yes, that's a thing people complain about)
Old 10-11-2018, 04:58 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDucky View Post
Google drive auto backup
How does that help me? Everything on my phone is backed up on my laptop, and on the laptop's backup. (well, except a couple of recent photos, maybe.)

Does no one else ever find themselves with crappy internet connectivity? My phone is my photo album and I also play music off it. Most of the photos were taken with my camera (not the phone's camera, a dedicated camera.) I select my favorite photos and put them on my phone. A lot of the music is stuff I recorded. I love having all of that in my pocket.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:07 PM
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

Quote:
How does that help me? Everything on my phone is backed up on my laptop, and on the laptop's backup. (well, except a couple of recent photos, maybe.)

Does no one else ever find themselves with crappy internet connectivity? My phone is my photo album and I also play music off it. Most of the photos were taken with my camera (not the phone's camera, a dedicated camera.) I select my favorite photos and put them on my phone. A lot of the music is stuff I recorded. I love having all of that in my pocket.
For the limited(?) time you are without the internet, it seems odd that you'd need access to all of your photos. Even thousands of songs would only be a few GB.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:16 PM
CAS

The time I am without internet isn't all that limited. It includes going on vacation, the sort of time when I might want to share photos with family and friends.

If you have a photo album, you don't want to plan in advance which photos you might show whom and juggle stuff all the time, you want to just have your photos handy.

I feel "not always on line" has become unusual. And yet, it happens to me all the time. At least it doesn't happen every time I am out of the country, since getting Google Fi. But it's still pretty common.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:00 PM
Note Contributor
SOA

Studying for nothing!

Another vote for OnePlus. I got a 3T a few years ago and loved it, very good update support from the company and not a lot of bloat over standard Android. I'd be happily using it still but I lost it earlier this year and have been waiting for the 6T to become available to replace it. Only a few more weeks to wait.