Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2016 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:35 PM
CAS SOA

College: University of Iowa
Default Breakfast with Potential Employers

Hi All, I have a quick question regarding dress apparel for a meeting that I have coming up with potential employers. So a little background on the meeting first off, I am a junior undergraduate act. sci. major and will be meeting with a few actuaries tomorrow morning for breakfast along with a few fellow students that are also interested in learning more about the company. Afterwards later in the day, I will also be going to our actuarial science job fair and will likely speak with them again. Then on Thursday I have an interview already set up with the company.

My first question is, are khaki pants and a nice button up appropriate for the breakfast, or do I want to aim for wearing a tie as well? It is breakfast, so I feel as though it will be pretty casual and they expect that I will be going to class afterwards anyways. Second, at the career fair, do I make an effort to stop by and speak to them again, or is the breakfast enough before the interview?

Side note: the breakfast is a school sponsored event through the actuarial science club, and I happened to win the raffle for the chance to sit down for breakfast with them.

Thank you for any responses to my first post on the actuarial outpost, it is deeply appreciated!
Old 10-03-2017, 07:53 PM

When dress code is unspecified, usually best to just aim high. But also, nothing wrong with asking somebody who is organizing. Nice shirt and pants seem sufficient in general, but if everybody else shows up in a suit, you're going to feel silly.

At the career fair, if it's crowded and lines to meet people, etc (like people have described the ASNY career fair), then it seems like you'd be wasting their time. If you see them or make eye contact, and give a friendly wave to acknowledge their presence, then move on to people you haven't spoken to yet and let them move on to people that they haven't met yet.

If it's less busy, then feel free to walk up and say hi, but be aware that you may be in that zone of "We've already discussed a bunch of the usual stuff and now there will be uncomfortable small talk since we don't know what to say". Maybe pay attention to things from breakfast, and if there's something you didn't get a chance to discuss, that's a good follow-up topic. And then just thank them again for the time, tell them you're looking forward to seeing them tomorrow, and move on.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:43 AM
CAS AAA

In general dress for job you want i.e., conservative suit and tie, assuming you have executive ambitions.

One might expect to see a range of attire at this sort of event, however given you are already scheduled to interview you should be on message - including appearance - throughout.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:31 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbjhawk View Post
Hi All, I have a quick question regarding dress apparel for a meeting that I have coming up with potential employers. So a little background on the meeting first off, I am a junior undergraduate act. sci. major and will be meeting with a few actuaries tomorrow morning for breakfast along with a few fellow students that are also interested in learning more about the company. Afterwards later in the day, I will also be going to our actuarial science job fair and will likely speak with them again. Then on Thursday I have an interview already set up with the company.

My first question is, are khaki pants and a nice button up appropriate for the breakfast, or do I want to aim for wearing a tie as well? It is breakfast, so I feel as though it will be pretty casual and they expect that I will be going to class afterwards anyways. Second, at the career fair, do I make an effort to stop by and speak to them again, or is the breakfast enough before the interview?

Side note: the breakfast is a school sponsored event through the actuarial science club, and I happened to win the raffle for the chance to sit down for breakfast with them.

Thank you for any responses to my first post on the actuarial outpost, it is deeply appreciated!
You're going to an interview. You may think it's breakfast, but it's really an interview. This is the first impression you're going to make on a company you would like to hire you.

And you want to dress casually for it?

Wear a suit. Wear a tie. Come prepared with questions and for questions.

It's part of the art of interviewing: every time you meet a potential employer, whether you're looking for a job or not, whether they're looking to hire you or not, you're interviewing. Never come light for it.

No one cares the impression you make in class. Any classmates who snicker or roll their eyes at your being overdressed for class--they're the ones who won't have a job lined up by graduation.

As for seeing them again at the career fair, don't worry about making an effort to run into them; you will see them there. Acknowledge them if you see them. Don't stay long. Use the extra time to meet the other companies' people.

"I guess I just have a lower prior-expectation of humanity than you folks. You win for optimism, but I win for accuracy."
--Pseudolus

"I wonder if there's a lower bound on how dumb the internet can get. We gotta be getting close, right?"
--Mother of DragQueens

Tags
employment, interviews