Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:39 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllj View Post
also, not really related to CE, but related to issuing opinions

as far as i know you need exam 7 to sign formal SAOs

what i can find is based on this
http://www.casact.org/newsletter/ind...iewart&id=5789

but at that time exam 7 was "advanced reserving, reinsurance, and ERM"
"reinsurance" is no longer in the title, and reinsurance was the reason you needed that exam
there's some reinsurance but it's certainty not the bulk of the exam or even one of the biggest topics- is exam 7 still sufficient?
That is a great question and I am not 100% sure I know the answer. This would be a great time to contact the ABCD and request guidance.

http://www.abcdboard.org/standards/guidance/
Old 06-28-2017, 12:11 PM
CAS

again.
I don't see anything that officially lists how much exams count as far as CE hours for the CAS. The only thing I've found referencing exam credits is this file:
Sample Log of CE Policy
Which lists it as 15 hours per effective attempt. Despite it appearing to not be officially listed anywhere I have to assume this is the standard? So at least this year I'll only need 6 structured hours and 3 hours of professionalism (passed 7, will take 8 in October).

Actually, that sample log says exams are 15 structured hours, so I only need 3 hours of professionalism. That doesn't seem right... is the CAS's own sample log wrong? That sounds like something the CAS would do, if ambiguity is possible the CAS will have it.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:22 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for Nothing!!!!
College: Lehigh University Alum
Favorite beer: Yuengling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak View Post
again.
I don't see anything that officially lists how much exams count as far as CE hours for the CAS. The only thing I've found referencing exam credits is this file:
Sample Log of CE Policy
Which lists it as 15 hours per effective attempt. Despite it appearing to not be officially listed anywhere I have to assume this is the standard? So at least this year I'll only need 6 structured hours and 3 hours of professionalism (passed 7, will take 8 in October).

Actually, that sample log says exams are 15 structured hours, so I only need 3 hours of professionalism. That doesn't seem right... is the CAS's own sample log wrong? That sounds like something the CAS would do, if ambiguity is possible the CAS will have it.
My understanding of this is that if you are required to meet the AAA requirements, study hours count in full, but as unorganized. If you are meeting the CAS requirements because you are not subject to the US, Canadian, Australian or UK qualification standards, then they count as 15 hours per exam, given you got at least a 1.

Play in the AO Prediction Game now!

Old 06-28-2017, 02:37 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
My understanding of this is that if you are required to meet the AAA requirements, study hours count in full, but as unorganized. If you are meeting the CAS requirements because you are not subject to the US, Canadian, Australian or UK qualification standards, then they count as 15 hours per exam, given you got at least a 1.
Ahhh okay I think that clarifies things. Presumably one exam covers well over 30 hours if you actually study, so I'm correct in that I only need 6 organized and 3 professional hours.

Thank you!
Old 10-17-2017, 07:52 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 6US
College: University of Wisconsin-Madison 2014
Favorite beer: Karben 4 Lady Luck

I have a question I'm hoping y'all can help me figure out. I took my CAS Course on Professionalism in 2016, and won't be an ACAS until 2018 at the earliest. I remember them saying at the CoP that you need to be up to date on CE immediately when you become credentialed, but I currently have only 1 "organized" hour. My questions are:

-Is there a cheap way to knock out this CE in one shot? I don't think there are enough CAS webinars left in the year.

-If I don't get the organized hours, what happens? I actually don't care about having the credentials immediately - nobody at my job will sweat that at least for a few years. I just want to make sure there is a way to make them up if I don't get them, and so far I haven't been able to find anything online.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:57 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for Nothing!!!!
College: Lehigh University Alum
Favorite beer: Yuengling

Would you not go to the meeting to get your ACAS? If you do, that will get you plenty of organized time --- just remember that you can't count the same hours for qualifying for 2018 and 2019.

Play in the AO Prediction Game now!

Old 10-18-2017, 02:31 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkolChicago View Post
-If I don't get the organized hours, what happens? I actually don't care about having the credentials immediately - nobody at my job will sweat that at least for a few years. I just want to make sure there is a way to make them up if I don't get them, and so far I haven't been able to find anything online.
As an ACAS, you are not allowed to make statements of actuarial opinion until you have your CE hours done. And if you have been working for a few years, probably quite a bit of what you do falls under that umbrella.

If you go that route, then I think that means that you need to funnel your work product through a qualified actuary, who then makes their own SAO on the work. If you make statements of actuarial opinion on your own, despite not meeting qualifications, then you can be subject to discipline by the ABCD.

And...you've known this was coming for over a year and had plenty of time to prepare.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:07 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Would you not go to the meeting to get your ACAS?
The problem here is that you will get your ACAS letters before the meeting. Once you get your letters, you are correct that you are required to have the 30 hours of CE either this year or in the immediate prior calendar year.

You are only really concerned about organized, you probably easily have the 30 hours of total and 3 hours of professionalism if you are studying for exam 5 or 6.

For organized, the CAS has two webinars and will likely have a third before the end of the year:

http://www.casact.org/education/webi...ex.cfm?fa=main

The American Academy also has two, including one that is two hours

https://www.actuary.org/content/archived-webinars

Lots of consulting firms also do webinars which would likely count for CE, and are often free, one example.

http://www.pinnacleactuaries.com/Eve...nce-hot-topics

Organized activities on business skills would also count. So a three hour excel class would count, as long as the instructor was not from your company.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:44 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak View Post
again.
Sample Log of CE Policy

That must be a really old page. It refers to the now-defunct "CAS alternative CE requirement" that you could follow if you weren't in a country whose requirement superseded that one. If you aren't bound by one (or more) of the standard National requirements (US, Can, UK, maybe some others) you now have to pick a national requirement and meet it.

Under the AAA rules, you can count the actual time you spend studying hour for hour as non-organized CE hours.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:15 AM
CAS

So a spring exam attempt and a fall exam attempt would count 15 hours each, correct? (assuming they are an "effective attempt") Or are study hours for the year capped at 15?