Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Individual Life and Annuities Track > Life Finance and Valuation Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Life Finance and Valuation Exam Old Individual Life and Annuities Forum

Old 03-13-2018, 01:09 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Nebraska-Lincoln Alumnus
Default Study Resources?

I haven't taken an FSA exam yet, and I plan on taking Life Finance and Valuation in Fall 2018. I just bought the 3 required textbooks. I still need to buy the study notes.

For the prelims I always used Actex study manuals, though I know there were other options like The Infinite Actuary and Coaching Actuaries.

What sorts of additional study materials are there for the FSA exams?
Which study materials did people find useful or not very useful for this exam?
Are additional study materials even really necessary, or should I just read the source material?
Old 03-13-2018, 02:30 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: HofBrau

I'll let the other students chime in regarding which study resources they use and from which companies; you already mentioned TIA... I do online seminars for PAK and we only do FSA exams so it's likely you wouldn't have heard about us through the preliminary exams.

What I want to say in this post is that the most important thing is to figure out what works best for you. There are a lot of study resources out there and they all exist because they bring value to some student... but I think it's impossible to try to use every single one of them. One of the things I emphasize to my students is to find a study system that works to their individual strengths and go head first in that direction. If they have trouble doing this, I'll help them. In the years I've been doing this, I've seen a looooooottttt of different methods used to study (and different combinations of study resources) and some work and some typically don't.

All of the companies that offer comprehensive study resources have tons of samples available. So I recommend having a look and seeing if you feel it will add to your study style.

View PAK Products
Life Pricing: Sample #1, Sample #2, & Sample #3
Life Finance and Valuation: Sample #1 & Sample #2
Life Risk Management: Sample #1 & Sample #2

Purchase PAK Products
Actex
Actuarial Bookstore
FIA Bookstore
Old 03-14-2018, 02:19 PM
SOA

Studying for DMAC

I would not rely on the source material alone for LFV. Some of these readings are literally state laws and regulations, which were not written with actuarial exams in mind. The language is very dense and numerical examples are lacking. Supplementary products (online seminars, study manuals, flash cards) help you focus on the key information, and those instructors provide a lot of useful context and illustrative examples that you won’t get from the source material.

I’ve used both PAK and TIA for the fellowship exams and both offer good products. They definitely have different styles, which will be a better fit for some than others. I agree with Garry’s suggestion to look at samples before you buy.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:23 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

College: UGA

If you work in a smaller company where you can't get recommendations from coworkers, you can check threads from past sittings to see what strategy others followed. If you have general questions about the exam or study strategy, feel free to reach out to us anytime.

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

We have your exam covered:

LP | LFV-U | LFV-C | LRM | ERM | QFI Core | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Sp

Check out our Technical Skills Course and our new R Course!

Connect on Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn
Old 03-15-2018, 04:21 PM
SOA

Reading through the source materials at least 1 is recommended...but given that you are taking Valuation first, i'm guessing you have background in Valuation, so that's why you are taking the "hardest" one first?

But regardless of which exam you take first...like what Garry said above, different students have different study strategies and one study manual might work for one but not for others. You should take a look at our "brochure" and samples and see if it fits your study style. Realizing that we offer a variety of study aids, i'm sure you will have questions. Please feel free to contact us and we can explain how they can help you. And if you need feedback from actual users, i am sure others will chime in or ask around.

Brochure
http://www.pakstudymanual.com/images...VUS_Sample.pdf

sample
http://www.pakstudymanual.com/images...VUS_Sample.zip

www.pakstudymanual.com
PAK Study Manual Packages/Seminars for LFV-US / LFV-CA / LP / LRM Fall 2018

LP: Sample
LFV U.S.: Sample
LFV Canada: Sample
LRM: Sample

Should you have any questions, please send us an email.