Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 3/MLC - Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 07-18-2018, 10:42 AM
SOA

Studying for Exam C

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmbo1987 View Post
Mark it 8 dude! Generous partial credit. For those taking LTAM in the fall, just be sure to write something down on each WA question. Make an attempt, show the graders that you did study and understand the material, and give yourself a fighting chance when it comes to partial credit.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:46 AM
SOA

Studying for Exam C

So who's starting the PA Dec 2018 thread ?

The SOA updated to the syllabus and also included a grading rubric. Based on that I feel it may end up being harder than I anticipated.

https://www.soa.org/Education/Exam-R...pa-detail.aspx
Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM
SOA

College: AU
Favorite beer: bankston 88

do y'all have any suggestions for those of us taking LTAM in october? obviously i know there is no secret to passing exams - only hard work and focused studying. but are there any specific tips that helped you pass? or any particular things you wish you had spent more time on if you didn't pass?

Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM
SOA

College: Carthage College Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_Vandelay View Post
do y'all have any suggestions for those of us taking LTAM in october? obviously i know there is no secret to passing exams - only hard work and focused studying. but are there any specific tips that helped you pass? or any particular things you wish you had spent more time on if you didn't pass?
I wish I spent more time training myself for the WA section. Like, parsing through to find easy questions, working under actual exam constraints. That area was brutal for me. I clearly did well (scored a 9), but it was very stressful and felt awful at the time. I also used adapt, and EL 6 was plenty to ace the MC.

Edit: I used CA manual to learn the material.

Last edited by man_risk; Yesterday at 10:26 AM..
Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_risk View Post
I wish I spent more time training myself for the WA section. Like, parsing through to find easy questions, working under actual exam constraints. That area was brutal for me. I clearly did well (scored a 9), but it was very stressful and felt awful at the time. I also used adapt, and EL 6 was plenty to ace the MC.

Edit: I used CA manual to learn the material.
Did you use just the manual or also the videos from CA?
Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM
SOA AAA

College: Davidson College

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_Vandelay View Post
It sounds obvious, but make sure you really understand the concepts. You should be comfortable constructing solutions from first principles, if necessary. The written answer section might include problems or "show that" questions with unfamiliar twists. WA Questions 2 and 6 from the April 2018 sitting come to mind.

Practicing WA test taking strategy in general is very important, too. In hindsight, I think I spent more time than necessary writing detailed answers for questions with low point values just because I was more confident in the material. Don't fall into the trap of showing more than you need to for easy questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicjello
Did you use just the manual or also the videos from CA?
I primarily used the video lessons from CA. The MLC manual was a bit too abbreviated for me.
EDIT: I just took a peek at the LTAM manual. It looks like they added more content, so it might be sufficient as a standalone source for some students.

Last edited by Adapt and Chill; Yesterday at 03:13 PM..
Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM
CAS SOA

College: Drake University

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adapt and Chill View Post

I primarily used the video lessons from CA. The MLC manual was a bit too abbreviated for me.
EDIT: I just took a peek at the LTAM manual. It looks like they added more content, so it might be sufficient as a standalone source for some students.
That's right! We added more examples in Sections 1 - 6 to our manual. The new sections (10, 12) entail a lot of examples as well. Also, note that the video lessons are based on the manual.

We understand the "pain" of tackling the written-answer questions. This is why we will be offering a one-time grading service for one of our sample written-answer exams to our customers who purchase our study bundle. The goal is to provide feedback that hopefully help students to do better in the actual written-answer questions. Details on this will be communicated in September.
Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkt View Post
That's right! We added more examples in Sections 1 - 6 to our manual. The new sections (10, 12) entail a lot of examples as well. Also, note that the video lessons are based on the manual.

We understand the "pain" of tackling the written-answer questions. This is why we will be offering a one-time grading service for one of our sample written-answer exams to our customers who purchase our study bundle. The goal is to provide feedback that hopefully help students to do better in the actual written-answer questions. Details on this will be communicated in September.
Pretty good idea. If only the SOA could provide some sort of framework with points...................