Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:35 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by donny5k View Post
Mainly we thought we could cut our bill nearly in half with T-mobile while maintaining unlimited (throttled) data and 4G. That appears to not be the case.
Have you checked into Net10? One person with unlimited talk, text and web (up to 3GB) is $49 with tax. Two people would probably be about $93. You can use it with AT&T or T-Mobile. You'd have to get new phones.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:18 PM

Favorite beer: Four Loko

This seems potentially relevant:

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/andro...S4/story01.htm

Verizon*has held its stance that only postpaid customers should receive LTE data on its network, but starting this month that may be ready to change. According to a source of*Droid-Life, Verizon is set to add LTE data access to*its prepaid ALLSET planon July 17th to better compete with the growing prepaid offerings from other carriers.

Assuming that this comes with no price premium (that's still to be determined), starting this month we could be looking at a base Verizon ALLSET prepaid plan that offers unlimited talk and text with 500MB of LTE data for $45. Verizon also offers month-to-month data buckets at the rate of 500MB for $5, 1GB for $10 and 3GB for $20.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:32 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudolus View Post
This seems potentially relevant:

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/andro...S4/story01.htm

Verizon*has held its stance that only postpaid customers should receive LTE data on its network, but starting this month that may be ready to change. According to a source of*Droid-Life, Verizon is set to add LTE data access to*its prepaid ALLSET planon July 17th to better compete with the growing prepaid offerings from other carriers.

Assuming that this comes with no price premium (that's still to be determined), starting this month we could be looking at a base Verizon ALLSET prepaid plan that offers unlimited talk and text with 500MB of LTE data for $45. Verizon also offers month-to-month data buckets at the rate of 500MB for $5, 1GB for $10 and 3GB for $20.
Holy poop. 3GB of data for $20 is a heck of a deal. I'd definitely buy a 4G tablet for that deal.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:48 AM
CAS

I loaded up Android L preview on my Nexus 7 2013. It is really nice and I really love Material Design. The new notification shade is awesome.

Instead of being a storage area the stores notifications, it looks like a tab at the top when pulled down and the notifications are like little perforated business cards attached to it. You can also flick down on the top part and it expands to show quick controls for wifi, GPS, etc.

Quite a few apps crash, but that is expected.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:31 PM
Note Contributor
SOA

Studying for nothing!

This weekend I decided to see what the fuss was with Xposed and it appears to have triggered a kill switch in Good for Enterprise. There's an Xposed module that says it is supposed to disable the GFE check for root, but I've been rooted on both devices I've used with work email, and it has never been a problem until I installed Xposed this afternoon.

Overall, I think Xposed and the modules that it uses require too many permissions so I'm going to uninstall it anyway, but thought I'd share my experience to save others the trouble if they are GFE users.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:30 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by no driver View Post
This weekend I decided to see what the fuss was with Xposed and it appears to have triggered a kill switch in Good for Enterprise. There's an Xposed module that says it is supposed to disable the GFE check for root, but I've been rooted on both devices I've used with work email, and it has never been a problem until I installed Xposed this afternoon.

Overall, I think Xposed and the modules that it uses require too many permissions so I'm going to uninstall it anyway, but thought I'd share my experience to save others the trouble if they are GFE users.
I don't use my devices for work. If I did, I would probably not root and whatnot. Seems to be a risky proposition.

From the sounds of it, the upcoming version of Android is supposed to have separation of personal and business stuff. Not sure if that would have any affect on rooting the device though.

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/android-split-personality/
Old 07-07-2014, 11:09 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
I don't use my devices for work. If I did, I would probably not root and whatnot. Seems to be a risky proposition.
how so?
Old 07-07-2014, 12:26 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Have an upgrade on Jan 2, 2015. What am I getting? xD
Old 07-07-2014, 12:28 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
More wait time?
Old 07-07-2014, 12:54 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
how so?
Corporate email stops working. Corporate IT guy gets irritated. Fired for corporate IT policy violation. Probably wouldn't get that bad but I'd just have a personal tablet to hack around on or just not put my corporate stuff on my personal device.

Easy for me to say from where I'm sitting though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
What carrier? Current phone? Reason for current carrier? Need more info.