Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-15-2018, 04:46 PM
SOA

I like Pie so far. It might be subjective but the battery on my Pixel 2XL seems to be better on it (6+hrs screen time).

The clock being on the left is a minor annoyance.

The volume stuff doesn't bother me since I have Tasker handle most of my sound settings when I'm in/out of work.

I like the "dark theme" for notifications/app drawer which I believe on Oreo you could only get if you had a dark wallpaper. I just wish it was a true black for OLED screens.

I tried out the gesture navigation but wasn't a big fan and switched back to the old way.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:56 PM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
It's the same stuff, 5 quick buttons at the top. They nerfed the functionality of those buttons so maybe? They moved the volume slider from horizontal at the top to vertical on the right. What annoys me about that is there used to be a quick drop down to adjust different types of volume (media, ringer, notifications) but now you have to go to a separate screen to do that.
I think he meant the actual notifications and not the quick buttons. There was a definite spike in random notifications from system apps on Oreo, but they did eventually semi-rectify that... I don't remember when they added the feature, but for a while you can swipe left on a notification bar and access settings that let you limit what kinds of notifications apps are allowed to push and when.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androzani Major View Post
Maybe a better statement is that I enjoyed having experienced it both ways?
Old 08-15-2018, 10:41 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyalDragon View Post
I think he meant the actual notifications and not the quick buttons. There was a definite spike in random notifications from system apps on Oreo, but they did eventually semi-rectify that... I don't remember when they added the feature, but for a while you can swipe left on a notification bar and access settings that let you limit what kinds of notifications apps are allowed to push and when.
Now, after you dismiss the same notification a number of times, it will ask if you want to block it. Not the same app, the same notification. So you can allow certain notifications from a particular app, but block others from that same app.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:21 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
Now, after you dismiss the same notification a number of times, it will ask if you want to block it. Not the same app, the same notification. So you can allow certain notifications from a particular app, but block others from that same app.
Mine has the settings "gear" which (when you click it) tells you how many different types of notifications that app can send and allows you to enable disable each type and also control alert type (vibrate, sound, silent)

Not actually sure what version I'm on, come to think of it... newer phone that I haven't really dug into yet.

Quote:
Old 08-16-2018, 11:24 AM
SOA

They made the multi-task button worse too. It used to show you the most recent app you were so you could switch back and forth between two apps in two taps. Now it shows you the app that you're currently in first so to switch it's tap-swipe-tap. Why do they fix things that aren't broken?
Old 08-16-2018, 11:44 AM
SOA

Quote:
They made the multi-task button worse too. It used to show you the most recent app you were so you could switch back and forth between two apps in two taps. Now it shows you the app that you're currently in first so to switch it's tap-swipe-tap. Why do they fix things that aren't broken?
I think the purpose of that was to leave the current app on top so that you can get to the split screen button without scrolling through. Which is nice if that's why you pulled it up, but annoying if you just wanted to switch apps.

Quote:
Old 08-16-2018, 11:57 AM
SOA

I've not used the split screen function. I've entered by accident a couple times. If I'm ever in a situation where I need to be looking at two apps simultaneously, I'm grabbing my laptop.

I don't even see the button you're referring to
Old 08-16-2018, 11:58 AM
SOA

I'm just an old man yelling at a cloud at this point but I don't care. They ruined my favorite phone.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:11 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
I'm just an old man yelling at a cloud at this point but I don't care. They ruined my favorite phone.
The volume change is annoying. They're trying to be contextual with the volume control - but when you're trying to adjust another volume out of that context - which I do a lot - it is much less useful.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:15 PM
CAS

Looks like no official build for Nexus 5X. Reading some of the changes, I think i'm cool with that.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen