Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-10-2014, 01:11 PM
SOA

Question Career counselor for actuarial-and-related jobs?

I made the move to actuarial work a few years ago, after a computer/math degree and a few different jobs like PC and other IT support, database management, that kind of thing. I had four years with my first job, and now am almost two years into my second job.

And I'm worried that this might not quite be for me. I did OK in my first job, but in this job (which is with a consulting company, and was a big step up the career ladder), I'm finding I might not have "what it takes". Part of the problem is I have ADHD, which I've usually been able to work around, but it's gotten in the way here. I can sometimes hyperfocus and get lots of great work done quickly ... but other times, I can't focus on work at all, and I either miss deadlines, or miss obvious errors.

Is there any such thing as a career counselor who specializes in actuarial and related jobs/careers? I know I have most of the right skills to do this kind of work, and I enjoy it more than most other work I've had. But maybe I'm better suited for some different kinds of actuarial work, or data mining (I read this thread with great interest), or some other kind of data/stats/analysis work that isn't exactly actuarial but is along the same lines. And I'd really like to find someone who can help me figure that out. For example, are there people at actuarial headhunters like D.W. Simpson or Ezra Penland who might be really good at helping someone like me figure out where to go? Or someone else in the field who just has a good rep and a willingness to advise someone like me?

For a bunch of reasons, I don't want to get specific about my details here in an open forum. But if you think you can help, please PM me.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:56 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by duhwheredoigo View Post
I made the move to actuarial work a few years ago, after a computer/math degree and a few different jobs like PC and other IT support, database management, that kind of thing. I had four years with my first job, and now am almost two years into my second job.

And I'm worried that this might not quite be for me. I did OK in my first job, but in this job (which is with a consulting company, and was a big step up the career ladder), I'm finding I might not have "what it takes". Part of the problem is I have ADHD, which I've usually been able to work around, but it's gotten in the way here. I can sometimes hyperfocus and get lots of great work done quickly ... but other times, I can't focus on work at all, and I either miss deadlines, or miss obvious errors.

Is there any such thing as a career counselor who specializes in actuarial and related jobs/careers? I know I have most of the right skills to do this kind of work, and I enjoy it more than most other work I've had. But maybe I'm better suited for some different kinds of actuarial work, or data mining (I read this thread with great interest), or some other kind of data/stats/analysis work that isn't exactly actuarial but is along the same lines. And I'd really like to find someone who can help me figure that out. For example, are there people at actuarial headhunters like D.W. Simpson or Ezra Penland who might be really good at helping someone like me figure out where to go? Or someone else in the field who just has a good rep and a willingness to advise someone like me?

For a bunch of reasons, I don't want to get specific about my details here in an open forum. But if you think you can help, please PM me.
I would think if you have ADHD that working for a carrier would be better-suited for you than consulting.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:28 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for C4
College: Chambana
Favorite beer: Whatever you buy me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Oveur View Post
I would think if you have ADHD that working for a carrier would be better-suited for you than consulting.
Yeah, deadlines are like monopoly money.

Tags
advice, career, counselor, job, non-actuarial