Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 10-20-2019, 07:45 AM

Favorite beer: the closest one

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
< 3 months
Aww. That's about the time that Gargette learned to pin her own diapers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:32 PM
AAA

Quote:
Well, you don't have superior genetics. Thats always a big factor.
My Ancestry.com DNA test showed Iím 1/4 Krypton, so...
Old 10-21-2019, 10:00 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

3 months is the perfect age:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-per...hs-11571436134
Quote:
The Perfect Age Is 3 Months
These babies coo, flash winsome smiles, sleep longer and wake up happy.

Spoiler:
I'm not sure pediatricians should admit that they like some patients more than others. But let me get this off my chest: My favorites are 3-month-old babies.

Parents may read this and silently despair: Do things really start going downhill at 3 months? No, but at that age infants have gotten their bearings. They're past what pediatricians call the "fourth trimester." They've put behind them those fussy, colicky weeks of adjusting to life outside the womb. (Three months is also around the time babies forgive their mothers for pushing them out of a safe, quiet home into our dangerous, noisy world.)

At this stage, babies and parents have negotiated regular feeding patterns. They honor daily routines of bathing and play. Most important, 3-month-olds are starting to sleep longer at night and wake up happy in the morning.

A 3-month-old baby is a substantial package. Typically weighing 13 to 14 pounds and extending more than 23 inches, babies this age fit nicely into one's arms. They've also traded their newborn frailty for growing solidity and firmness.

Around 12 weeks after birth, babies are becoming sociable. Delightful beyond words, they follow people around the room with their eyes, coo with abandon, and flash winsome smiles to everyone who engages them, even strangers.

Three months postdelivery also marks several milestones for parents. First, it's the anniversary of the baby's conception. The family has been living with the child for a full year. I like to point this out to parents and ask them if their lives have changed. Most smile and marvel at the differences.

Second, new mothers are well on their way to full recovery from pregnancy and childbirth. They're finally getting some sleep, and they can exercise again. This return to healthy rhythms restores energy to weary couples and gives them hope that they will succeed at this parenting business.

These developments make the three-month checkup an affair of joy and wonder. But what clinches 3 months as my favorite age is the look these babies have in their eyes. It's a guileless glance that conveys hope and destiny, plus a furtive glimmer of self-knowledge. Babies this age seem to have a sense of the human potential they're soon to claim. If you spend time with 3-month-old babies, you'll see that glimmer too.

It's true -- they've plumped up enough and are still fairly small, that you get the cutest pics at 3 months.

They look like aliens for the first few weeks, that's for sure

LinkedIn Profile
Old 10-21-2019, 10:28 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
3 months is the perfect age:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-per...hs-11571436134

It's true -- they've plumped up enough and are still fairly small, that you get the cutest pics at 3 months.

They look like aliens for the first few weeks, that's for sure
I think kids start getting fun at about 6-9 months and (thus far, so as far as ~47 months) increase in fun from there.

I do agree about them looking like aliens at the start though.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:37 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

I think they start getting to be fun when they talk.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 10-21-2019, 10:41 AM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness

My four year old still doesnít sleep.

He was terrible as a three month old. And a nine month old. And a 18 month old. After that, it started getting better. But that first year and a half was hell.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:54 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
My four year old still doesn’t sleep.

He was terrible as a three month old. And a nine month old. And a 18 month old. After that, it started getting better. But that first year and a half was hell.

We're super consistent with a routine with my kids... story time at a certain time, then teeth, then bed. Nearly the same exact time every day.

Coupled with a gate on my older daughter's door she's generally pretty good about doing "quiet play" if she doesn't want to sleep.

I'd say she's generally pretty well behaved inherently though.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:10 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: The Meddler

Quote:
Well, you don't have superior genetics. Thats always a big factor.
Would you say that you're just a superior human being than most others due solely to your genetics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMO View Post
I'll tell you straight up that I think my religion is better than yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars View Post
Outside the context of my faith, I am not intolerant of you ... If anything here, you're being a bit of a bigot towards me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descalzo View Post
I thought that's what I was saying, exactly. One day I (or people like me) will be thought of exactly as you and I think of racists in the deep south.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginormous76 View Post
I put the whole cob in my mouth and suck the kernels right off in one swift motion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Giant View Post
What 6-year-old boy didn't occasionally stick his junk between his legs during bathtime just to say, "Look, Mommy, I'm a girl!" as a joke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett Cake Pan View Post
I can see having a discussion about magic potions vs. pharmaceuticals in a chemistry class. I think that's a good idea.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxActuaryxxx View Post
I thought this at one point. Starting to realize that my kids is not nearly as smart as me and may never be able to become my progeny. Heartbreaking...
Indeed. Especially when those math tests start coming in a few points below the 99th percentile.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:28 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The President View Post
Indeed. Especially when those math tests start coming in a few points below the 99th percentile.
The Spartans had it right