Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 10-18-2019, 01:28 PM
SOA AAA

Amelie (2001)
Such an offbeat film.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 10-18-2019, 06:00 PM

Day of Wrath (1943, Danish) - The wife of an older priest falls in love with his son in 17th century Denmark. Great film

Gentleman's Agreement (1947) - Gregory Peck is a reporter who is assigned to write a series on anti-Semitism. So he comes up with the idea to become an "undercover Jew". Excellent movie, though obviously not in the same class as Soul Man, White Chicks, or the SNL skit with Eddie Murphy.

Nightmare Alley (1947) - Film noir starring Tyrone Power in the rise and fall of a "mentalist". Very good

Impact (1949) - Great film noir, as the unfaithful wife conspires to kill her husband. Except things don't go as planned.

Niagara (1953) - Joseph Cotten and Marilyn Monroe in a troubled marriage with Niagara Falls as the backdrop.

The Rack (1956) - Little known movie starring a young Paul Newman on trial in the US as a Korean POW who collaborated with the enemy. Very good dive into his character, and an early use of the term "brainwashing".

Petulia (1968) - A higher-level relationship movie that would have been way beyond me 20 years ago. Julie Christie and George C Scott in a relationship that Scott knows he shouldn't be in. I liked it, but it's not for everyone. Quite a real movie.

The Last Picture Show (1971) - Rewatch. Such a powerful movie about the dying of a 50's Texas town. One of my all-time favorites.

Uncle Buck (1989) - John Candy at his best as the lead actor for once. He goes to the beat of his own drum as the uncle called in an emergency to house sit 3 kids for a stretch.

Eyes Wide Shut (1999) - Rewatch. I had previously rated it low vs. other Kubrick films, but it really is outstanding. There is a helluva lot going on in this psychological mind**** of a movie.

Inside man (2006) - Denzel Washington starts in a very different take on the bank heist genre. I enjoyed it.

White Boy Rick (2018) - True story about a kid involved with drugs, guns, and the FBI in the 1980's. A little more "Hollywood" than I prefer, but still worth a watch.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:15 PM
Mary Pat Campbell

Studying for Anglo-Saxon
Favorite beer: Bass Ale

What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
a fun vampire flick from Taika Waititi and Jemaine Clement

I really liked Stu
Old 10-19-2019, 09:38 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Richard III, Olivier version

first time I've seen it, tho I grew up w/ my dad doing Olivier impressions from it

It plays fairly straight, but I caught at the beginning it uses David Garrick's edits. Garrick was an actor in the 18th century, a bud of Samuel Johnson.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 10-21-2019, 11:24 AM
SOA AAA

Lost and Found

Off-beat Irish film set primarily at the lost & found of a train station, at least at the beginning as we meet the locals. No one of note in it, but I found it entertaining.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:41 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for LTAM
College: Drake University Alum
Favorite beer: New Glarus Spotted Cow

Call Me By Your Name (2017)

Watched it for the first time since I saw it in the theater. Even more emotionally potent the second time. Chalamet and Stuhlbarg are simply fantastic actors.
Of course, I'm "bi"ased if you know what I mean. The film really connects to my own experiences and watching it with my girlfriend this time gave us both some clarity.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:50 PM
SOA AAA

Ronin (1998)
Some great car chases.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 10-24-2019, 02:54 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

The Valiant (1929) Early talkie, that suffers a bit by age and lack of actor mobility. Interesting and different story as a man confesses to a killing, we don't know why he did it. Tries to remain anonymous as not to taint family, who has been searching for him for years.

Haunted Gold (1932) John Wayne B film.

The Prizefighter and the Lady (1933)Kind of gimmicky film starring Max Baer and a lot of the fighters of the day. Not bad, not otherwise notable

The Lost Patrol (1934) John Ford version of the story of stranded soldiers, being picked off one by one. Dated but well done

The Constant Nymph (1943) Well done, but creepy, in an unfulfilled (thankfully) Lolita-ish love triangle

Address Unknown (1944)Pre-WWII --- Business partner goes Germany to make art deals for US firm and become indoctrinated with Nazi ideals (I wish they developed this further). Interesting in concept and disturbing.

A Song to Remember (1945) Biopic on Chopin. Surprised no nomination for Muni. It did not make George Sand come off well

State of the Union (1948) Really good look at an honest business man running for President and losing his ideals along the way. Great cast

Trapped (1949) US Treasury docu-drama, that felt more forced than most of these.

Quicksand (1950) Mickey Rooney in a good noir, where borrowing $20 (without the lenders knowledge) ends up spiraling out of control and each cover keeps him in deeper

Young Bess (1953)A look at young Queen Elizabeth, but unfortunately too short a period and too focused on the romance

It Should Happen to You (1954)Not LOL funny, but Judy Holiday and Jack Lemon (1st movie) is all I need

The Wheeler Dealers (1963)Also, will watch anything with James Garner. Cute 60s romance

The Night of the Iguana (1964)Very well acted Tennessee Williams story. Like most of his stories, more about interactions than plot.

The Devil Rides Out (1968) Christopher Lee as the hero, fighting devil worshipers.

The Blood on Satan's Claw (1971)17th century adolescents as devil worshipers

Emitaï (1971)Look at Senegal revolting against french rule. Well done, if not a bit slow. I like the amateurism of the natives, but was annoying for the French actors

Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)Christopher Lee as modern day resurrected Dracula. Worked better than I expected by not getting campy.

The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976)Based on fact story of a serial killer stalking an Arkansas town just after WWII

Salaam Bombay! (1988)Well done and disturbing look at India's abandoned children

Fast & Furious (2009) Done with the series. Again #4 on were pretty watchable action

The Whistleblower (2010)very disturbing based on fact story of a woman who revealed UN peace keepers helping in and profiting from Bosnian sex trafficking. Felt like an Indy movie, but a very good cast
Old 10-24-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabeanactuary View Post
What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
a fun vampire flick from Taika Waititi and Jemaine Clement

I really liked Stu
the TV show is a hoot.

I'll have to watch the movie sometime.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:11 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
The Devil Rides Out (1968) Christopher Lee as the hero, fighting devil worshipers.

The Blood on Satan's Claw (1971)17th century adolescents as devil worshipers
Seems that the latter might be a bit . . . of a prequel?

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES