Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 03-27-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
yeah as others have said you should definitely apply to a wide variety of insurance/consulting/finance. Tech might be hard to break into since you dont have much programming skills and the skills you learned aren't directly applicable (Stats or CS). Some information that might be helpful is your undergrad or grad school a well known reputable school. I ask because some of these firms will interview you if you came from one of these schools, and what you actually studied matters far less. Their opinion is whatever you need you'll learn on the job
His undergrad was at a "famous" school for economics. Any school that is "famous" for economics will be decent in other things.

Given his location of Nashville, TN, and the famous undergrad, it's likely his PhD is at Vandy, which is a target school for a lot of good jobs.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:29 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Theory View Post
Enough Exams Already:
I did my undergraduate in a school famous for its Economics (among other strengths) program, so I took a couple econ classes (gone through the micro and macro sequence + econometrics) and stat classes. Didn't have any background in finance until FM.
As Riley correctly pointed out, you would be surprised at what PhD are making at post-doc or teaching only positions. Not to mention adjunct faculty, which most colleges are seeking to replace retired tenured professor with....
What your school is famous for <> what you know. And I wouldn't be surprised at what post-docs and TO-appointees make. I have friends who are adjuncts in different areas, and I hear the tales.

Intro econ classes and econometrics are good. What about intro accounting? Do you know which side (DR/CR) the normal balances for each type of account would be on? Can you read a balance sheet, income statement and cash flow statement and make sense of them? Can you do a simple ratio analysis on them? If not, get a Schaum's Outline or a basic accounting book from a used bookstore and start learning.

"I guess I just have a lower prior-expectation of humanity than you folks. You win for optimism, but I win for accuracy."
--Pseudolus

"I wonder if there's a lower bound on how dumb the internet can get. We gotta be getting close, right?"
--Mother of DragQueens
Old 03-27-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already View Post
Intro econ classes and econometrics are good. What about intro accounting? Do you know which side (DR/CR) the normal balances for each type of account would be on? Can you read a balance sheet, income statement and cash flow statement and make sense of them? Can you do a simple ratio analysis on them? If not, get a Schaum's Outline or a basic accounting book from a used bookstore and start learning.
How is this relevant? Don't lecture him on accounting. He needs to stop learning and start applying for jobs.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:57 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke$ha View Post
His undergrad was at a "famous" school for economics. Any school that is "famous" for economics will be decent in other things.

Given his location of Nashville, TN, and the famous undergrad, it's likely his PhD is at Vandy, which is a target school for a lot of good jobs.
It's also in a very fun area of Nashville.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:39 PM
CAS

Quote:
How is this relevant? Don't lecture him on accounting. He needs to stop learning and start applying for jobs.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:16 PM

College: University of Chicago

One problem might be that a lot of entry level jobs have been filled and recruiting at major companies has already taken place in the fall so that is something to consider. But still apply to whatever interesting job you can find
Old 03-27-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
One problem might be that a lot of entry level jobs have been filled and recruiting at major companies has already taken place in the fall so that is something to consider. But still apply to whatever interesting job you can find
Meh there are plenty of open positions for a PhD in math from Vandy.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:47 AM
CAS

Studying for Exam S

Quote:
Meh there are plenty of open positions for a PhD in math from Vandy.
Wow, I really have no idea...

Folks, thank you for your patience working with my questions. I apologize for my stubborn-ness, partly due to the fact that I have never considered a career other than faculty until this past summer, so all this is so strange and foreign to me. (taking an analogy, if I travel to some remote tribe in Africa, I would have no idea if the Benjamin Franklin I hold is any good at all...) The other half is due to the fact that my timeline is so tight now, with a dissertation deadline and actuarial exam coming up.... Sorry if I appear less than enthusiastic to your wonderful suggestions. Appreciate all the thoughts that must have come into them.

As Ke$ha has pointed out, I probably won't have much time to learn anything serious (e.g. accounting) at the moment and would have to just start applying.
I tried looking at McKinsey's page and was impressed by the rosy picture they painted for PhD consultants-wanna-be, but I am confused by the associate-business analyst-junior associate?? Any hint on which one I should go for?

On banking side, I tried looking at Citibank and Barclays, but found myself overwhelmed by the abundance of titles, most of which I seem not qualified for and frankly speaking the job description really sounds like extra-terrestrial and doesn't give much clue on what is it like on the job. Can you all suggest some typical (prefer advanced degree) titles that I may start looking at so that I may try to identify interesting ones?

Any suggestion for other interesting companies would be appreciated too! (I heard 'hedge funds', do I just google them?)

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by K-Theory; 03-28-2014 at 03:02 AM..
Old 03-28-2014, 02:57 AM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

I didn't start looking for a position until the spring in which I ultimately got hired (my intent until that February was to continue as a professor), although my PhD is from Colorado-Boulder so your mileage may vary.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 03-28-2014, 09:09 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
1.) I'll ask him whatever questions I please. He can choose to asnwer them or not. And neither of us needs your approval or permission.

2.) He can learn this stuff on his own time. He doesn't need to take a formal class to understand it.

3.) If you can't see how basic financial literacy and the ability to understand financial statements help in a finance job, then maybe you need to stop lecturing people and get a clue yourself.

Same goes for you, Fracktuary.

"I guess I just have a lower prior-expectation of humanity than you folks. You win for optimism, but I win for accuracy."
--Pseudolus

"I wonder if there's a lower bound on how dumb the internet can get. We gotta be getting close, right?"
--Mother of DragQueens

Tags
advice, career changer, modelling, phd