Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:01 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Homebrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by donny5k View Post
I'm not an expert, but it sounds like you are de-lofting the club at impact the times when you get more distance (turning an 8 iron into a 6 iron or whatever the pros like to say).
did you quote the wrong part? I think it would be the opposite. I'm adding loft to the 8 and 9, since I have the common 15yd increments on the other clubs but am 25yds on these last 2.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:19 PM

College: Ohio State Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by tometom View Post
did you quote the wrong part? I think it would be the opposite. I'm adding loft to the 8 and 9, since I have the common 15yd increments on the other clubs but am 25yds on these last 2.
Well, yes, it sounds like you are hitting some clubs/shots with your hands past the ball (7-) and others with your hands in line with the ball (8,9). The same swing can't possibly produce a 25 yard difference with a couple degrees of loft, can it?
Old 04-14-2014, 05:24 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Homebrew

really no clue. It's been that way for a long time though, so I obviously do something different with the 8&9. your explanation makes sense, but I've never met with a golf pro or video taped myself to check.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:29 PM
SOA

Studying for GH-COR

A few years ago, I went and bought clubs, but I only used them about 10 times and gave up. Just seemed like a huge pain in the ass to go practice, and I wasn't going to get better unless I practiced a lot. I could also see it becoming very expensive since even the driving range was something like $15 every time. I think if you're going to get into golf, you kind of need to go all out, or its just a waste.
.      | 
.      |
.     / \
Old 04-14-2014, 08:51 PM
SOA

Studying for golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Had a friend on his high school golf team.
His coach made them play their home course with just a 7-iron.
He says it was the best round he ever shot at the time.
Did his coach give away the US Open by shooting a 12 on the 72nd hole?

On a serious note, some of the best golf I've played was going out with either 4-7-SW-putter or 5-PW-putter. Much easier to focus on your swing when you aren't worrying about dialing in the "perfect" distance.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:53 PM
SOA AAA

Something I never have to do, since I have no clue how far I hit for each club. (There might be an average, but there's a lot of standard deviation.) I just go with two or three clubs longer than whatever my brother pulls out.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 04-15-2014, 11:07 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domingo Montoya View Post
Instructors is a tricky subject, in the beginning you're right your instructor won't matter as much but you still need someone competent. The main thing is that it's someone you get along with and you like how they are going to teach you. At your level you should be able to find someone for $20-30/hr, and that usually includes the bucket(s) of balls. I would think it would be beneficial to go to an instructor, then work on what they tell you on your own for a week or two, then go back. Repeat.

A good instructor won't give you a ton to work on each time, too many swing thoughts will lead to bad swings. But definitely practice what they tell you. You don't want to be paying for the same lesson because you're making the same mistakes. It's a fun journey!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally world View Post
Golf lessons are definitely worth it. If you go to your local course, you are probably going to spend $40-$50 per half hour lesson with the pro.

Look to your local park district. They often will have introductory courses where you go for 5-6 weeks and hit on the range. You will not get as individualized instruction perhaps, but it is more economical. Perhaps $100 for the entire session. And given that you are starting out with basically no prior knowledge, you will likely still learn a LOT.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm in a relatively high income area, so lessons on average seem to be higher than $20-30 per hour. I like the recommendation in bold though, will probably look to do something along those lines and do individual lessons.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:08 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyAndHow View Post
A few years ago, I went and bought clubs, but I only used them about 10 times and gave up. Just seemed like a huge pain in the ass to go practice, and I wasn't going to get better unless I practiced a lot. I could also see it becoming very expensive since even the driving range was something like $15 every time. I think if you're going to get into golf, you kind of need to go all out, or its just a waste.
$15 is mad expensive for just the driving range. Places I've been to are $6-$8 bucks for around 60 balls.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:17 AM
SOA

Studying for golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
$15 is mad expensive for just the driving range. Places I've been to are $6-$8 bucks for around 60 balls.
My local range now charges $14 for around 100 balls. It seems a little expensive but the location works well for me.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
Hi AO,
Are golf lessons worth it?
Nah, it's pretty well known that golf is one of the easiest games to master. Just a few swings at the range and one trip to the practice green and you should have it all figured out.

But seriously, my advice would be not to take lessons unless you are truly serious about getting 'good' at the game. If you don't take the time to practice and ingrain what the instructor teaches, it won't help much. How good you get is dependent on your hand, eye and body coordination level and how much practice time and playing time you are willing/able to devote.

This is coming from a slightly-better-than-bogey golfer who has never taken a lesson, so take any advice from me with a grain of salt.