Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Individual Life and Annuities Track > Life Pricing Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Life Pricing Exam Old Individual Life & Annuities Design and Pricing Forum

Old 08-07-2015, 03:32 PM
SOA

Studying for Life

Almost 70% through the source material, but I'm nervous about being able to memorize nearly 500 flash cards by the exam date, so I'm thinking about switching to the study manual to try to get through the rest faster. Then I'll mostly rely on the study manual until the exam date.

I noticed that ACE's study schedule recommends memorizing 25 cards in one day!!! Can anyone confirm that this is actually possible? I know that some cards have mneumonic tips, but 25 still seems extremely difficult to maintain every day, especially if you can only commit to 4 hours of studying. Hopefully the audio CD will make it easier.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:40 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: HofBrau

Spring 2015 LP Solutions are now posted to the SOA site
https://www.soa.org/multiple-choice/

View PAK Products
Life Pricing: Sample #1, Sample #2, & Sample #3
Life Finance and Valuation: Sample #1 & Sample #2
Life Risk Management: Sample #1 & Sample #2

Purchase PAK Products
Actex
Actuarial Bookstore
FIA Bookstore
Old 08-18-2015, 10:38 AM
CAS SOA

College: UWI Mona 2014

Printed off the 624 TIA flashcards yesterday. That's quadruple the amount of flash cards I had for LRM...

Though I'm still far from the memorization stage, this intimidates me. I wonder if I should still go through the flashcards while reading and learning the syllabus material, as a "summary review".
Old 08-18-2015, 11:53 AM
Eddie Smith
SOA

College: UGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_asnani View Post
Printed off the 624 TIA flashcards yesterday. That's quadruple the amount of flash cards I had for LRM...

Though I'm still far from the memorization stage, this intimidates me. I wonder if I should still go through the flashcards while reading and learning the syllabus material, as a "summary review".
I don't think that's a bad idea. Even though the flash card count seems high, they're designed to look familiar if you've been through the video lessons first. You could think of them as verbal drill problems since they're structured in a Q&A format. I would not be concerned at all if you haven't memorized all of that information at this stage. There will be plenty of time for short-term memorization when the exam is more in the short-term.

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

We have your exam covered:

LPM | LFMU | LFMC | LAM | ERM | QFI Quant | QFI PM | QFI IRM | G&H DP | G&H FV | G&H Sp

Check out our Technical Skills Course and our R Course!

Connect on Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn
Old 08-25-2015, 11:58 PM
CAS SOA

The US and Canadian regulation/taxation material seems daunting. In fact, even Eddie admits that it is one of the more challenging aspects of the syllabus.

And to make it worse I don't even practice in North America

Just how much should I worry about this material? Honestly at this point I think I might as well go through the other material again and get more familiar with the other concepts before I approach this beast.

I did an initial skim through of the seminar videos and am now contemplating starting reading and practicing the other materials in more detail. Then, I think I should tackle the US/Canada specific topics when I'm more comfortable with the rest of the syllabus.

Thoughts? How material is this section really?
Old 08-26-2015, 10:36 AM
SOA

Personally, I think there are a lot of challenging stuff in Ch. 1 of the Canadian Taxation of Life Insurance. Prior to Fall 2015 syllabus, it was a core reading but now they changed it to a Background reading so that may mean less focus is needed on that chapter? Perhaps due to the fact that the textbook does not capture a lot of essences in the calculations (you can see that from past exam questions). Garry and I spent a lot of time providing extra information in our study manual to help students understand that part in greater detail. Long story short, to tackle that section, I would probably start from looking at past exam questions.

www.pakstudymanual.com
PAK Study Manual Packages/Seminars for LFV-US / LFV-CA / LPM / LAM Fall 2019

LPM: Sample
LFV U.S.: Sample
LFV Canada: Sample
LAM: Sample

Should you have any questions, please send us an email.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:54 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisY View Post
Personally, I think there are a lot of challenging stuff in Ch. 1 of the Canadian Taxation of Life Insurance. Prior to Fall 2015 syllabus, it was a core reading but now they changed it to a Background reading so that may mean less focus is needed on that chapter? Perhaps due to the fact that the textbook does not capture a lot of essences in the calculations (you can see that from past exam questions). Garry and I spent a lot of time providing extra information in our study manual to help students understand that part in greater detail. Long story short, to tackle that section, I would probably start from looking at past exam questions.
Thanks Francis. I purchased the PAK Study Manual as well, so I can get perhaps a little more detail in my readings. I will of course supplement the TIA Study Manual with it to get a bigger picture.

For this material, I will take your suggestion and try the "practice questions" approach and as I've said before, possibly buy the Exam Aid if I feel like I need more practice closer to the exam date
Old 08-26-2015, 12:30 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: HofBrau

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisY View Post
Adding on to this...

One of the things I like to do in my analysis of syllabus changes is to really speculate on the implications of some of the changes. The removal of Ch.1 as a mandatory reading was one change that particularly stuck out for me as this chapter contains the details of the Exempt Test which has historically been the typical Canadian Tax exam question. Personally, I'm betting on a shift in focus to Chapter 3 & 14 material like we saw in question #1 of the Spring 2015 exam.

View PAK Products
Life Pricing: Sample #1, Sample #2, & Sample #3
Life Finance and Valuation: Sample #1 & Sample #2
Life Risk Management: Sample #1 & Sample #2

Purchase PAK Products
Actex
Actuarial Bookstore
FIA Bookstore
Old 08-29-2015, 09:08 PM
SOA

Default Syllabus

Has anyone PAK/TIA/ACE posted what has changed from Spring 2015 syllabus? List of topics not on the exam from Spring 2015? Can't seem to find it on the forum here.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:40 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresnal View Post
Has anyone PAK/TIA/ACE posted what has changed from Spring 2015 syllabus? List of topics not on the exam from Spring 2015? Can't seem to find it on the forum here.
Are you talking about this thread?

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=294233

www.pakstudymanual.com
PAK Study Manual Packages/Seminars for LFV-US / LFV-CA / LPM / LAM Fall 2019

LPM: Sample
LFV U.S.: Sample
LFV Canada: Sample
LAM: Sample

Should you have any questions, please send us an email.

Tags
exam, fall 2015, ila, life, pricing