Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Health - Disability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:07 PM
SOA

Studying for ERM, CFE, SDM

I'm extremely biased (Finance Track 4 Life!), but I think the decision making process goes:

1) Do whatever track your employer tells you to take
2) Do whatever track you think is most interesting

You'll learn plenty about Health and ERM in your career, if that's what you want your career path to be; it probably doesn't REALLY matter which track you take. If you can, take what you think is most interesting, because that is what you have the highest probability of passing. You can take ERM and get your CERA with any path.

Now, this might just be my Finance loyalism talking, about I think the Finance Track most easily flows into the ERM exam/CERA credential. At the end of the day, ERM is a Finance track exam, I think you get see that in the material.

www.pakstudymanual.com
PAK Study Manual Packages/Seminars for CFE/SDM/ERM Fall 2019

SDM: Sample
CFE: Sample
ERM: Sample
Old 02-17-2016, 09:25 AM
SOA CCA AAA

Studying for Married Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
Yes I have. We have one FSA here who went that route (got the CERA before he came here). If I went down this different track it would be to set myself apart and have even more specialized knowledge. If I do go down this route though, I will start with just the module and exam needed for CERA. If I like those a lot then I can push to go for the other exams on that track, and if not then I can just have my CERA and do the health track.
That knowledge will very quickly evaporate because you will NOT have a chance to apply it to work. You have a far better chance to retain the relevant knowledge that you apply in your day-to-day.

And how will pursuing QFI/CFE will set you apart from the others? How are you going to demonstrate the "differentiating factor"? Don't leave it to your current/prospective employer to figure this out for you. It's your career, you should know and plan yourself how you'll use this knowledge to your advantage.

Seriously, I really do not understand why anyone pursuing an actuarial career would want to take a quantitative finance track, other than self satisfaction, unless they're in the investment management or financial risk management department of a life or health insurance company.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:00 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money
Favorite beer: Wurzel Bier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actiger View Post
That knowledge will very quickly evaporate because you will NOT have a chance to apply it to work. You have a far better chance to retain the relevant knowledge that you apply in your day-to-day.

And how will pursuing QFI/CFE will set you apart from the others? How are you going to demonstrate the "differentiating factor"? Don't leave it to your current/prospective employer to figure this out for you. It's your career, you should know and plan yourself how you'll use this knowledge to your advantage.

Seriously, I really do not understand why anyone pursuing an actuarial career would want to take a quantitative finance track, other than self satisfaction, unless they're in the investment management or financial risk management department of a life or health insurance company.
I'm not interested in the quantitatife Finance Track (QFI), but in the corporate finance track, which I feel is much more applicable. Thanks for the advice though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
I would really hate to bring Pokémon to a gun fight.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:00 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulP View Post
I'm extremely biased (Finance Track 4 Life!), but I think the decision making process goes:

1) Do whatever track your employer tells you to take
2) Do whatever track you think is most interesting

You'll learn plenty about Health and ERM in your career, if that's what you want your career path to be; it probably doesn't REALLY matter which track you take. If you can, take what you think is most interesting, because that is what you have the highest probability of passing. You can take ERM and get your CERA with any path.

Now, this might just be my Finance loyalism talking, about I think the Finance Track most easily flows into the ERM exam/CERA credential. At the end of the day, ERM is a Finance track exam, I think you get see that in the material.
Great thoughts, thank you!

Quote:
Old 02-23-2016, 12:13 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!!!!!

I think I am in a similar position as you BF. (in the Health field and just trying to finish up my FAPs) I have asked around my office and I have gotten mixed messages between G&H and CFE.

I think the CFE track would be beneficial because I am less likely to get experience with it in my current role. Although I hear the G&H track is probably easier.

My former boss was in favor of the CFE track. I remember he once said (jokingly) "By the time you finish the G&H track, it is already outdated."
Old 02-23-2016, 01:23 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

It just blows my mind how inconsistent people and companies are about FSA path selection. From one view we have companies pushing employees towards a certain path, but the consensus I've always seen on here is that in the end your FSA track doesn't matter. So is track selection important and why are we so bi-polar about it?

Quote:
And how will pursuing QFI/CFE will set you apart from the others? How are you going to demonstrate the "differentiating factor"?
What I think you're suggesting is that FSA path doesn't really matter. If you go out and take QFI/CFE, you won't be able to sell yourself because you won't gain enough knowledge for leverage. Is path selection a facade? And if we look backwards to the pre-lim exams, did job candidates ever have to show a "differentiating factor" if they passed one more exam than another job candidate? Not that I recall. Are the pre-lim exams a facade?!?

Quote:
You literally just gave us some examples of why they would take the QFI exams, so why are you so perplexed as to why someone would pursue that track?

I can tell you that if I was still in the actuarial world and had the option to choose my path, I would have been more likely to take QFI than GH. Why? GH seems to be a lot of memorization and even though that material might be easier than QFI for most, it would kill my soul to have to study that way. Because of this, QFI would have been "easier" for me, not to mention, more interesting (subjective).

As for the OP, you'll need to look through your study program to make sure they allow this. If they don't, well, then it looks like you know the path you'll have to take.

If they do allow you to take the CFE path, then do whatever you find interesting. It might take you more hours to study since it doesn't have much overlap, but at least those hours will be more enjoyable.

-Riley
Old 02-23-2016, 05:34 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingboing View Post
Take the gh track. No one will know or care what track you got your fsa in. You can study whatever you want after you have your fsa.
I approve of this post still, even though it seemed to be mostly ignore.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:57 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingboing View Post
I approve of this post still, even though it seemed to be mostly ignore.
good posts don't require further comment

(at least that's what I tell myself)

Lucky for you I was raised by people with a good moral center because if that were not the case, you guys would be in a lot of trouble.
So be very, very glad people like me exist. Your future basically depends on it. --jas66kent

The stock market is going to go up significantly due to Trump Economics --jas66kent
Old 02-23-2016, 06:23 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Kwak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
Yes I have. We have one FSA here who went that route (got the CERA before he came here). If I went down this different track it would be to set myself apart and have even more specialized knowledge. If I do go down this route though, I will start with just the module and exam needed for CERA. If I like those a lot then I can push to go for the other exams on that track, and if not then I can just have my CERA and do the health track.
1. Get your CERA
2. User CERA to create a risk/reward profile of all the tracks
3. ???
4. BruteForce, CERA, FSA, MAAA, CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
you are a visionary
Old 02-23-2016, 06:25 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral Omen View Post
1. Get your CERA
2. User CERA to create a risk/reward profile of all the tracks
3. ???
4. BruteForce, CERA, FSA, MAAA, CEO

I like it!

Quote:

Tags
:exams:, cfe, corporate finance fsa, erm, profit