Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 01-09-2017, 06:21 PM
CAS SOA

Default How important is non-relevant work experience for EL and internships?

This is the one area that seems to be the weakest for me right now, and the fact that I want to graduate in 3 years (or 3.5 if I can't get an internship summer after sophomore year) makes it even more imperative that I get some. Otherwise, although I'm a freshman right now, according to my semester standing based on the number of credits I have, I'm the equivalent of a first-semester sophomore at this point and have 1/P passed. I'm planning on taking 2/FM, 3F/MFE, and 4/C between now and coming fall (ideally). I'm in a couple clubs and I'm planning on joining the actuarial fraternity as well as toastmasters (starting this coming summer when I can have my car on campus since there's none nearby).

However, irrelevant work experience seems to be a problem. And I guess I just feel insecure about my prospects because I was looking at a lot of the resume critique requests in the sub-forum, and everyone seems to have a few different internships at other places or jobs that weren't bottom-of-the-barrel, a lot of them during the year. At this point, all I have is being a counselor-in-training summer of 2015 at an elementary school for a strings music camp. I'm planning on picking up some near-minimum-wage job like one in the dining hall or something (even though it's really not a necessity for me to pay bills or anything), but I'm just looking for some advice in general about what I should do over the next 2.5 years to be competitive in terms of non-actuarial work experience.

Do I have good chances of getting an internship for summer after sophomore year if I can otherwise have 3 exams passed and have a 3.5+ gpa?

And what are the expectations in general in terms of work experience in general? Both actuarial and non-actuarial. Of course having a summer internship has become almost mandatory, but in the resume section, I saw a lot of people seemed to have actual actuarial jobs during the year while in college.

Last edited by R3d Anonymous; 01-09-2017 at 06:30 PM..
Old 01-09-2017, 06:40 PM

If you get an internship, I think non-actuarial experience is completely worthless and wouldn't worry about it AT ALL for EL purposes.

For internship, also not worth much, but two caveats to that statement:
1) Depends on your def'n of non-relevant. I think retail or pizza delivery or whatever is 0% relevant. Something like tutor is more like 25% relevant. TA would be slightly more relevant. And office work, even something like secretarial or whatever would be slightly more relevant. So, there's lots of work that is slightly relevant, even if not actuarial.
2) You have to have something to put on your resume (not really that important tbh) and (much more importantly) you need to have something to talk about when you're interviewing. You probably think that having a funny story about delivering pizza that is only the tiniest bit relevant to actuarial isn't worth much. You'd be wrong. If the story: A) makes the interviewer laugh, B) makes the interviewer remember you, and C) has some tiny nugget - no matter how small - that allows the interviewer to say "I can see how that will help him be a good actuary for us", then that story is solid gold. You can get these stories from a lot of places, but getting them from work is the most common for most.

Also, I think you're worried about all the wrong stuff (I think I've said this before, but honestly might be confusing you with another poster). Unless you're in a tight situation financially, you should be enjoying college; if you're not enjoying college: 1) You're probably not going to enjoy being out and making money much more; and 2) the fact that you're not enjoying college makes me very suspicious that you are lacking in social skills that are going to hold you back professionally, and you'd be a lot better off focusing on that.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:11 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
I think retail or pizza delivery or whatever is 0% relevant. Something like tutor is more like 25% relevant. TA would be slightly more relevant. And office work, even something like secretarial or whatever would be slightly more relevant.
But what about babysitting?
Old 01-09-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Oveur View Post
Well, at my last job, where I managed three actuaries and three non-actuaries who were doing compliance work, that would have been relevant to about 1/2 of my management responsibilities.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:21 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Oveur View Post
At the office?

Eh, ninja'd.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Nov. 20, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Therapists should ask the right questions, not give the right answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:25 PM
SOA AAA

Whatever you write on your resume, have an interesting story to go with it in case it comes up in the interview.

I even have a list of hobbies, in effect seeking out companies with people who enjoy things that I do. It does filter out companies with people who hate what I do, though. So, maybe win-win. Win.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 01-09-2017, 07:49 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Whatever you write on your resume, have an interesting story to go with it in case it comes up in the interview.

I even have a list of hobbies, in effect seeking out companies with people who enjoy things that I do. It does filter out companies with people who hate what I do, though. So, maybe win-win. Win.
Chessboxing or trashed resume IMO
Old 01-09-2017, 07:52 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
If you get an internship, I think non-actuarial experience is completely worthless and wouldn't worry about it AT ALL for EL purposes.

For internship, also not worth much, but two caveats to that statement:
1) Depends on your def'n of non-relevant. I think retail or pizza delivery or whatever is 0% relevant. Something like tutor is more like 25% relevant. TA would be slightly more relevant. And office work, even something like secretarial or whatever would be slightly more relevant. So, there's lots of work that is slightly relevant, even if not actuarial.
2) You have to have something to put on your resume (not really that important tbh) and (much more importantly) you need to have something to talk about when you're interviewing. You probably think that having a funny story about delivering pizza that is only the tiniest bit relevant to actuarial isn't worth much. You'd be wrong. If the story: A) makes the interviewer laugh, B) makes the interviewer remember you, and C) has some tiny nugget - no matter how small - that allows the interviewer to say "I can see how that will help him be a good actuary for us", then that story is solid gold. You can get these stories from a lot of places, but getting them from work is the most common for most.

Also, I think you're worried about all the wrong stuff (I think I've said this before, but honestly might be confusing you with another poster). Unless you're in a tight situation financially, you should be enjoying college; if you're not enjoying college: 1) You're probably not going to enjoy being out and making money much more; and 2) the fact that you're not enjoying college makes me very suspicious that you are lacking in social skills that are going to hold you back professionally, and you'd be a lot better off focusing on that.
So going into next year, if for work experience I have the counselor-in-training summer job from 2015 plus a job like working at the dining hall this coming semester, will I be a viable candidate for an internship (as long as my base stats are good)?

Also, what do you mean by me focusing on the wrong things? What are the right things to focus on?
Old 01-09-2017, 08:29 PM
CAS SOA

I just wanted to clarify that the reason I want to take exams quickly and graduate early is in part because I find studying for them and taking them fun, but also that the idea of getting them over with before my mid-twenties even if it means sacrificing college fun, is more appealing to me than taking my time and trying to "enjoy" the "college experience" and then being stuck taking them into my late-twenties.

I'm very much an introverted and individualistic person (which is in part why I enjoy self-studying). I'd like to be out on my own making money, and working as soon as possible. And it's not that I don't enjoy talking to people - rather quite the contrary. But I don't drink and I'm not really into partying. I don't mind going out with friends sometimes and I very much enjoy close friendships and relationships and also making small talk with people. The idea of graduating early with a lot of exams and starting to make money one year early just feels good to me and also, I'd say that my twenties (while not in college) are more important to me than my college life. I would also say that I'm a late-bloomer overall when it comes to these sort of things. And this approach seems to be common with people with a similar background as myself.

So it's a combination of me actually enjoying the exam process and having the passion to study for and take them (so why not) and as a personal preference, knowing myself and how I am, valuing my twenties over my college experience. Hypothetically, I'd rather get my FCAS by 22-24 and not having much of a social life in college than trying to enjoy the college experience and not getting FCAS until 26-28 or later, especially because a lot of the prime things that people value about the college experience (parties, drinking, social circles) don't really matter me as much as just having a few close friends and finding a stable significant other (and getting married in the future), being an introverted and individualistic kind of person.

Speaking of finding a significant other, again, I noticed especially at my college I met a ton of girls earlier this year and many of them just don't want relationships right now. The ones who do usually aren't single, and I haven't had any luck with the hooking up thing because that really only happens at parties or within fraternities and I'm not that kind of guy. If I can, I'll date, but especially because I may want to relocate sometime within the next few years and a lot of women here are either taken or not looking for a relationship, I also don't mind putting this off until a few years later if I must - especially because then I'll be older, probably be better-looking, have a decent income, and more people will be looking for something serious (which is what I want anyway). I've had more luck with dating out in the open than within a closed social environment like high school or college anyway.

Now there's no reason I can't socialize and have some friends (in fact, I already kind of do) and I'll definitely work on my communication skills, but I'm just saying that I really don't mind all of the social and college experience stuff that's not too important to me in the first place taking a backseat in exchange for speeding through exams (that I enjoy) and freeing up my twenties. It's just choosing between what you value more - college or your working twenties.

I know I've posted a few threads talking about how I'd like to graduate early and get through exams as quickly as possible and some have been wondering why this is so, so I just wanted to explain.

Last edited by R3d Anonymous; 01-09-2017 at 08:51 PM..
Old 01-09-2017, 08:51 PM
CAS AAA

College: The University of Alabama
Favorite beer: Chimay Grande Réserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3d Anonymous View Post
I just wanted to clarify that the reason I want to take exams quickly and graduate early is in part because I find studying for them and taking them fun, but also that the idea of getting them over with before my mid-twenties even if it means sacrificing college fun, is more appealing to me than taking my time and trying to "enjoy" the "college experience" and then being stuck taking them into my late-twenties.

I'm very much an introverted and individualistic person (which is in part why I enjoy self-studying). I'd like to be out on my own making money, and working as soon as possible. And it's not that I don't enjoy talking to people - rather quite the contrary. But I don't drink and I'm not really into partying. I don't mind going out with friends sometimes and I very much enjoy close friendships and relationships and also making small talk with people. The idea of graduating early with a lot of exams and starting to make money one year early just feels good to me and also, I'd say that my twenties (while not in college) are more important to me than my college life. I would also say that I'm a late-bloomer overall when it comes to these sort of things. And this approach seems to be common with people with a similar background as myself.

So it's a combination of me actually enjoying the exam process and having the passion to study for and take them (so why not) and as a personal preference, knowing myself and how I am, valuing my twenties over my college experience. Hypothetically, I'd rather get my FCAS by 22-24 and not having much of a social life in college than trying to enjoy the college experience and not getting FCAS until 26-28 or later, especially because a lot of the prime things that people value about the college experience (parties, drinking, social circles) don't really matter me as much as just having a few close friends and finding a stable significant other (and getting married in the future), being an introverted and individualistic kind of person.

Speaking of finding a significant other, again, I noticed especially at my college I met a ton of girls earlier this year and many of them just don't want relationships right now. The ones who do usually aren't single, and I haven't had any luck with the hooking up thing because that really only happens at parties or within fraternities and I'm not that kind of guy. If I can, I'll date, but especially because I may want to relocate sometime within the next few years and a lot of women here are either taken or not looking for a relationship, I also don't mind putting this off until a few years later if I must - especially because then I'll be older, probably be better-looking, have a decent income, and more people will be looking for something serious (which is what I want anyway).

Now there's no reason I can't socialize and have some friends (in fact, I already kind of do) and I'll definitely work on my communication skills, but I'm just saying that I really don't mind all of the social and college experience stuff that's not too important to me in the first place taking a backseat in exchange for speeding through exams (that I enjoy) and freeing up my twenties. It's just choosing between what you value more - college or your working twenties.

I know I've posted a few threads talking about how I'd like to graduate early and get through exams as quickly as possible and some have been wondering why this is so, so I just wanted to explain.
As someone who recently commenced college, how do you know that you want to be an Actuary, specifically an FCAS?

Tags
babysitting, chessboxing, data science, real analysis