Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 06-08-2018, 12:23 PM
SOA AAA

Default 2018-2019 NHL Hockey Thread

OK, Caps, great job, well-deserved.

Now, onto the next season. Let's see if ESPN has some way too early power rankings...

Why, yes they do!

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2...power-rankings

In a slight twist to every other ESPN too-early rankings, the current finalists are not 1-2. they're 4-5.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 06-18-2018, 06:49 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Aww, shit.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 06-18-2018, 06:49 PM
SOA AAA

Balls.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 06-18-2018, 06:50 PM
SOA AAA

Pucks.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:56 PM
SOA

Mixed thoughts. Barry will be a legend in DC for helping bringing the cup to town. A good human being, stinks to lose him. Initial reaction was WTF Caps management, but I don't feel that way anymore. If you recall, I was in favor of firing him towards end of the season. While of course that feeling changes with a Stanley Cup, and I do feel he did well with strategy in the playoffs, I still don't think he is a good coach with young players.

My understanding is Barry had a clause that extended his contract two years with a bonus if he won the cup. Well he did so in his last year of the contract and thus is under contract another 2 years at a price somewhat above what he signed originally at. However, this amount is not that close to what he would command if doing another contract now. Capitals have a heir apparent in the wings already, and rather than renegotiate with Barry, the Caps told him this was the contract he agreed to in negotiations, so deal with it. Kind of like if a player signed but turned into an absolute steal and wanted to renegotiate midway through. Caps let him resign probably only because we have his replacement ready to step in anyway.

TLDR: Barry signed a bad contract that now would have him be underpaid for next two years given his resume. Rather than renegotiate and pay him, Capitals told him take it or leave it (although we of course do not know the details on if that is actually how it happened) and Capitals let him walk when he asked to step down while under contract.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:20 PM
SOA

Actually, I caught up on my Caps news in last 15 min and the GM did an interview that I missed. Said they had some talks, but weren't willing to commit to 5 year contract at 5 mill per (around top 5 in coaches). People are gonna be mad at the Caps, but I don't mind letting him go personally. Mainly comes from Ted (Caps owner) and company on coach contracts. Still doesn't change the fact Trotz's agent did a bad job . Although now he will get paid anyway.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:48 AM
CAS

Yup. 5 years? No way.

At Claude Julien money? The three highest paid coaches last year didn't make it past the first round- two didn't make the playoffs.

Indeed, he was very close to being fired in November when the Caps saved him by rattling off a bunch of wins. Major coaching philosophy issues, especially burying young players, that had people calling for his head this year even when the Caps were leading the Metro. He also made questionable decisions like Smith-Pelly getting significant time on the first line this year and in the playoffs which was a disaster. The Caps got a miracle bounce in game 3 against CBJ- if that didn't happen, we aren't having this conversation as he definitely would have been gone.

He'll always be a legend in DC, but I think this was the right move.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:51 AM
CAS

And yeah, Barry did sign what turned out to be a bad contract with the Cup win clause because the market for coaches blew up since he signed it. I don't think there's much justification for what Babcock or Julien get paid, even adjusting for the markets in those big Canadian hockey towns. If Barry thinks he can get that much from say NYI, then more power to him.

He is definitely worth more than what he would be getting paid, but how much more. Definitely as much or more than say, Hakstol.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:26 PM
CAS

Some action during the draft:

Big players for players trade between CAR and CGY.

LAK sign Kovalchuk.

WAS dumps Orpik's cap hit and gains a lot of flexibility. Re-signing Carlson seems imminent.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:52 AM
SOA

Carl$on. Next up Kempney and Wilson. Biggest ? will be Beagle or no Beagle this year. Also I've heard Orpik could be back with the Caps since Avs bought him out.