Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 10-16-2019, 12:51 AM

Nats to World Series. Did anybody watch tonight? I bet you'd be surprised to find out this fact: That team was 12 games under .500 at one point.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:03 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Nats to World Series. Did anybody watch tonight? I bet you'd be surprised to find out this fact: That team was 12 games under .500 at one point.
I watched a bit of it but got distracted by your Democrats’ debate.

Since the Washington Nationals/Montreal Expos have never won a WS, and I have fond memories of going to Expos games in Jarry Park in their early years, I will be routing for the Nationals.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:27 AM
CAS

College: Ball State Alumni
Favorite beer: Root or Birch

Now just need the Stros to finish of the Yanks, and then probably sweep the Xpos.

The sooner this garbage is over with the better off we'll all be.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:58 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofan View Post
This team will be incredibly difficult to beat, let's just wait until how it plays out in NLCS and WS.
Well, uh, they did have that one inning last night.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:18 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Sorry. Season's over for me.

What changed at 12 games under? Trades? Front-loaded schedule? Injured players return? Did they trade the guy who was dancing on a table in the clubhouse after a loss?

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 10-16-2019, 01:35 PM
ASPPA COPA

Studying for Nothing.
Favorite beer: Massive Quantities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Sorry. Season's over for me.

What changed at 12 games under? Trades? Front-loaded schedule? Injured players return? Did they trade the guy who was dancing on a table in the clubhouse after a loss?
Mostly they started hitting better and runs went up. Also the bullpen went from OMFG these guys suck so hard, to these guys are pretty bad but whatever.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:35 AM
SOA

Old 10-21-2019, 11:42 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr F View Post

Yeah, there is day to day fluctuation (and trend throughout the year in 2018) but it doesn't fluctuate to the extent that we've seen thus far in the postseason.

All of the "well better pitching might make fewer homeruns" arguments are certainly appeals to small sample size. But there are observed (but not lab verified) changes to the aerodynamics of the ball based on fastballs, for which there is a greater sample size. That would of course cause fewer home runs. And sure enough, isolating fly balls that were marginal home runs based on batted ball quality (and adjusting for weather), the outcomes have much more closely matched what would be expected with a higher drag ball (as compared to 2019 regular season).
Is there a way to control the 2019 regular season data to show only the teams that are now in the playoffs (to control for pitching and park), or am I missing the point that those aren't relevant factors and it can all be explained by the ball?
Old 10-21-2019, 11:43 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeetripper View Post
Mostly they started hitting better and runs went up. Also the bullpen went from OMFG these guys suck so hard, to these guys are pretty bad but whatever.
https://thefandc.radio.com/valdez-dr...-rizzo-s-music
Old 10-21-2019, 12:00 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
Is there a way to control the 2019 regular season data to show only the teams that are now in the playoffs (to control for pitching and park), or am I missing the point that those aren't relevant factors and it can all be explained by the ball?
A few things, most of this is buried in Rob Arthur's tweet threads from the past week or so.

Arthur did say that he ran the same analysis using only Houston and Tampa since things would be climate controlled (part of the time in Houston) and saw similar or even greater impacts in those parks (though smaller sample sizes obviously).

He's measuring drag from when the ball leaves the hand to when it crosses the plate (speed difference). Hasn't found any evidence that pitcher skill would impact that. His calcs also adjust for weather measurements (temp, wind, etc.) which he has said aren't all that impactful anyway.

There is no history of the same thing happening in prior postseasons (at least those that can be measured using the same data).

Seems as though neither are relevant, but I'm just going off the analysis he's run and the variables he's tested.