Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 8 - Advanced Ratemaking
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:19 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS

Anyone know where I can see major changes to the syllabus in the past few years?
Old 05-05-2019, 03:56 AM
CAS

So what is the best way to study for exam 8? Is doing the course material and the past papers sufficient or do I need to buy TIA?
Old 05-05-2019, 12:33 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Spruce Springsteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiqbal View Post
So what is the best way to study for exam 8? Is doing the course material and the past papers sufficient or do I need to buy TIA?
I thought the source material was pretty difficult to decode for 8 (in contrast, 9 was quite readable). TIA and Rising Fellow Cookbook were a winning and time saving combination for me. I passed on 207.5 hours with these tools. For reference, that is the least study time I have put in for any exam.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:04 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by itGetsBetter View Post
I thought the source material was pretty difficult to decode for 8 (in contrast, 9 was quite readable). TIA and Rising Fellow Cookbook were a winning and time saving combination for me. I passed on 207.5 hours with these tools. For reference, that is the least study time I have put in for any exam.
sweet, that's the combo I have. So I'm going through the cookbook in order and flipping to the relevant chapters in TIA as I go through, making sure I understand the cookbook questions before I move on. I plan on doing just these important examples as my first go through. For my second run through I will do the same but also expand the examples to TIA and past exams. How did you organise you're studying?
Old 05-05-2019, 02:42 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Spruce Springsteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbedNadir View Post
sweet, that's the combo I have. So I'm going through the cookbook in order and flipping to the relevant chapters in TIA as I go through, making sure I understand the cookbook questions before I move on. I plan on doing just these important examples as my first go through. For my second run through I will do the same but also expand the examples to TIA and past exams. How did you organise you're studying?
That approach sounds good. You've done exams several times before so you know what works well for you. I don't do many problems and instead focus on understanding the material. Of course, we're only tested on problems, but I don't like to do the problems until I really understand what is going on, which isn't until the tail end of studying.

Here's some more detail about how I organize my studying: http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...70&postcount=4
For 8, I didn't read/skim the source material unless I felt that TIA was insufficient or I didn't understand what TIA was saying.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:04 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfshirts View Post
Just take 6 first and get your ACAS. After you pass 6 you no longer have to wait until you get your pass results to know which exam you have to study for next. It's kind of a relief.
I strongly agree with this. Ever since getting my ACAS last spring, a big bonus was knowing no matter how much time I was able to put in to the fellowship exams, I didn't have to think about what I'd be studying for next. Took 8 last fall without being able to get enough time in, left the exam knowing I failed, but was so nice knowing that I'd be taking 7 next no matter what. Now having just sat for exam 7 and feeling like I'm borderline, I don't have to agonize over which exam to pick up in the next 6-8 weeks or even after results come out... Fall 2019 is exam 8 all the way for me. (I guess my only choice anyway). Then back to exam 7 if needed, or if I'm fortunate, exam 9 next spring.

This is not the biggest reason by any means, but as others have said, just get your ACAS first since it is much better than not having credentials at all. You never know what life will bring.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:17 PM
CAS

Quote:
This is good to know. I liked RF for 7 a lot. I have TIA from last year's exam 8 which I thought was very good, so for this next exam 8 sitting, I'll probably add RF Cookbook to practice problems efficiently and plan to pay for it out of pocket if necessary.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:35 PM
CAS

Quote:
Anyone know where I can see major changes to the syllabus in the past few years?
I don't know if there's a nice outline of the changes anywhere, but I believe the last major change was last year where the Fisher paper (which is very well done) replaced several papers which had been on the syllabus for a long time (e.g., Gillam and Lee papers). I don't think there are any major changes scheduled for this year. (Just updating the ISO ex-mod reference which should be very minor) Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:01 AM
CAS

7 is over. I'm in for 8. Will start studying in early June.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:52 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 8
Favorite beer: Not beer

Quote:
2016 and 2018 were the last major changes. '16 saw the addition of the new GLM paper; '18 saw the Fisher study note replace a bunch of stuff and two of the Mahler papers get dropped. This year just has the ISO CGL plan getting updated to the 2014 edition; not sure what real impact that has yet.

-- Candidate X has this pretty well outlined, too.

Quote:
The material is definitely dense, but I think a lot of it has to do with how familiar you are with the topics. If you've done large account pricing, some of this will come easier. If you're doing GLM-type stuff, that might come easier. I would definitely agree, for things you don't know well or that don't click, find a 2nd source to help you decode it.