Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 8 - Advanced Ratemaking
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 10-22-2019, 10:41 AM
CAS

Studying for 7
College: B.S. University of TN, M.S. Ohio State
Favorite beer: Spotted Cow

Finished 2017 and graded it. Did you guys find this exam on the easy side? I did better on it than any other one so far, maybe that's just because I'm well prepared now. I finished in just under 2.5 hours and would've gotten between 85-90% of the points depending on strictness of grading. I don't want to be too confident going into the exam, but I'm feeling pretty good now. Gonna touch up on various topics the next few days, then do 2018 over the weekend.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:18 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp019372 View Post
Finished 2017 and graded it. Did you guys find this exam on the easy side? I did better on it than any other one so far, maybe that's just because I'm well prepared now. I finished in just under 2.5 hours and would've gotten between 85-90% of the points depending on strictness of grading. I don't want to be too confident going into the exam, but I'm feeling pretty good now. Gonna touch up on various topics the next few days, then do 2018 over the weekend.

Seems like you are in great shape!! Keep it up.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:18 PM
CAS

Studying for the heck of it

It's hard to believe on this time next week I'll be sitting in the exam room nervously jotting down stuffs. I haven't finished the syllabus yet. This will be the most underprepared exam for me in years
Old 10-23-2019, 12:20 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamSon View Post
I just took 2018 and I totally agree with the timing aspect of it. It took way longer than any of the other exams I've taken.. the timing dread felt like I was back in spring..

It was definitely a hard exam, and getting something like that on exam day would be 10x worse as it'd psyche you out. I don't think any of the questions were terrible though, except maybe parts of each IQ. The questions were definitely just different.. the feeling I got was that they were going for more conceptual questions even on the calculation heavy stuff.
I just found 2018 to be exhausting. So much calculation such that when you get to the problems with twists you're already feeling a bit drained.

Definitely hoping 2019 is more like 2017.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:29 PM
CAS

Studying for Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerromnitsuj View Post
I understand that sentiment, but it's apparent that 2018 was much more challenging than they anticipated, as evidenced by how much they had to push the pass mark down to be commensurate with how the candidates performed. And even then the pass rate was quite a bit lower than normal. I expect this exam to be more challenging than 2015-2017 but to me it's clear 2018 was a mistake on their part and they will be calibrating accordingly.
I hope you are right from the bottom of my heart, can't wait to pass and get my life back

Currently hunting for CAS Exam 8 Platinum Trophy

ACAS 7 8 9
Old 10-23-2019, 10:29 PM

College: About to be a super senior

Do you think 2017 is easier than 2016?
Old 10-23-2019, 11:16 PM
CAS

Studying for 8
Favorite beer: Alcoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjacjswo View Post
Do you think 2017 is easier than 2016?
I didn't think so but ymmv
Old 10-24-2019, 10:24 AM
CAS

Studying for 7
College: B.S. University of TN, M.S. Ohio State
Favorite beer: Spotted Cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamSon View Post
I didn't think so but ymmv
I thought 2017 was quite a bit easier, but the Bailey & Simon problem threw me off in 2016. Other than that, I did pretty similarly overall on 2016/2017.

Only 6 more days now! I'm just doing a few problems in various sections here and there to not forget anything. Gonna probably do 2018 on Sunday. If that goes well, I'll spend Monday and Tuesday with some light review but not really put in much studying. Right now I feel about as confident as I did going into 5 and that went well, so I'm just ready to get this over with now.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:00 PM
CAS

Does anyone have any calculation tricks to improve speed when doing a Quintiles Test or Efficiency Test? Particularly when you need to calculate the weighted average standard LRs for each quintile when given 10 risks? I try to use the data function on the calculator when I need to repeat calculations but I haven't figured out a good technique for these question.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:01 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp019372 View Post
I thought 2017 was quite a bit easier, but the Bailey & Simon problem threw me off in 2016. Other than that, I did pretty similarly overall on 2016/2017.

Only 6 more days now! I'm just doing a few problems in various sections here and there to not forget anything. Gonna probably do 2018 on Sunday. If that goes well, I'll spend Monday and Tuesday with some light review but not really put in much studying. Right now I feel about as confident as I did going into 5 and that went well, so I'm just ready to get this over with now.
I wish I was at your level of preparedness. I'll be studying full speed till the exam