Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 6 US - Regulation and Financial Reporting
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-01-2019, 02:08 PM
CAS

Studying for the heck of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costanza1738 View Post
I didn't know there were even companies that didn't pay for this. Do you get study hours at work?
No, not really. It is not in insurance or a typical actuarial career. My previous job at an insurance company did have a program that had study hours, paid for expenses, raises/bonuses etc.

The pay raise that comes with this current position still made it worthwhile to switch, in hindsight, but I'm finding it hard to progress on the exam track without the study program. This position doesn't really require a credential either, which is partly why I think I am going to hold off credentialing myself.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:55 PM
CAS

In! Pretty sure I failed
Old 05-02-2019, 12:13 PM
CAS

College: Columbia University

When will the syllabus probably come out?
Old 05-02-2019, 01:52 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 5
College: FSU Alumni

I think it's available on site for both Spring and Fall sittings. Check for any updates since I think due to changes like in private flood insurance they have made updates. I'm waiting for 2020 because I want to use Bedford Seminars which will gear towards 2020 sitting.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:54 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 5

I know how it feels, I am taking Exam 5 five times and haven't taken this one yet even though I keep trying to get to it but 5 isn't helping. I'm gearing for the Spring 2020 sitting because I want to use a certain seminar not out yet and it's not TIA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by temisart View Post
Guess I'm going to be back in the fall...

Can't believe I failed for a second time. Should have passed in the fall last year but guess I didn't study well enough. Sucks.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:00 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 5

Wow my employers pays and it's state government it's just they are very anal about, it's about mission of how it benefits Florida. I think they are anal about the traveling not cost of the course. However I pay up front since I can't wait until they approve the expenses or would cost more since you know how airplane flights are and hotel is limited so you don't want to wait too long. I'll get reimbursed for everything and hoping Exam 5 and study material in July when I send it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadsura View Post
Does your company pay for CoP? I'm holding off on CoP even if I pass 6, since my company doesn't pay for anything.

CoP ~$2000 registration/airfare/accommodation
ACAS annual fee $600
Attending the annual meeting for credentialing $?????

These expenses add up to quite a bit, and it's not like I make a million a year

Old 05-02-2019, 03:53 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsumath View Post
Wow my employers pays and it's state government it's just they are very anal about, it's about mission of how it benefits Florida. I think they are anal about the traveling not cost of the course. However I pay up front since I can't wait until they approve the expenses or would cost more since you know how airplane flights are and hotel is limited so you don't want to wait too long. I'll get reimbursed for everything and hoping Exam 5 and study material in July when I send it in.
Get those credit card points... non-taxable additional income FTW.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:17 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherCareerChanger View Post
Get those credit card points... non-taxable additional income FTW.

Yes of course!! I canít get reimbursed until, like exams, Iíve passed and gotten the credit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-03-2019, 02:36 PM
CAS

College: UNC-Chapel Hill Alum
Favorite beer: Red Oak

I'm probably back in for this. Conversation in the spring thread hasn't sparked any confidence. Not sure what I'll do for studying this time. The BA beta was useful, but I think the full version will be expensive.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:47 PM
CAS

I can get my company pay for BA but I wonder if it's better to wait until I have proof that I failed to be on the safe side.