Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 6 US - Regulation and Financial Reporting
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 07-15-2019, 02:09 PM
CAS

Studying for 6
College: Roll Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusk90 View Post
I had a good understanding of most of the material, but I think I failed because I didn't spend enough time on pure memorization (an essential actuarial skill ).
I feel this snark in my soul. I had passed all my prior exams by really understanding concepts and big picture and how things fit together but largely ignoring the minutiae that required straight memorization.

I didn't appreciate how badly that would go for 6 until it was too late.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:50 PM
CAS

Studying for 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryleslieknope View Post
I feel this snark in my soul. I had passed all my prior exams by really understanding concepts and big picture and how things fit together but largely ignoring the minutiae that required straight memorization.

I didn't appreciate how badly that would go for 6 until it was too late.
Are you me? Hopefully I can figure out this memorization thing the first time around.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:36 AM
CAS

I failed 6 for the second time this last sitting with a 5. I used TIA.

Really hurt because I felt like I knew it. I think my biggest mistake was making my own notecards instead of TIA. I think I got swept into memorizing things that weren't as important.

I plan on using TIA again and maybe reading some of the source material.

Does anyone have a ringing endorsement for BA? It looks interesting, but with that high of a price I am not sure it is worth it when it is mostly untested.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:57 AM
CAS

College: UNC-Chapel Hill Alum
Favorite beer: Red Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMSUPaul View Post
I failed 6 for the second time this last sitting with a 5. I used TIA.

Really hurt because I felt like I knew it. I think my biggest mistake was making my own notecards instead of TIA. I think I got swept into memorizing things that weren't as important.

I plan on using TIA again and maybe reading some of the source material.

Does anyone have a ringing endorsement for BA? It looks interesting, but with that high of a price I am not sure it is worth it when it is mostly untested.
BA's organization of exam problems as a study resource is exceptional. I did not particularly like how the actual articles were written. Largely personal preference there though I think. I'm contemplating getting it for just the last month or so just to bash practice questions, but it'll only be worth the price if I'm sure it'll get me the pass. Too early to call that at the moment.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:41 PM
CAS

Studying for 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMSUPaul View Post
mostly what ALS said

I will also say that my learning style is dependent on making connections between material and the BA suggested order of study absolutely did not facilitate that for me.

But if you want the fairest reviews of BA maybe read through the Spring 2019 thread right around the exam date? Those of us paying most attention to this thread used it and failed.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:17 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryleslieknope View Post
mostly what ALS said

I will also say that my learning style is dependent on making connections between material and the BA suggested order of study absolutely did not facilitate that for me.

But if you want the fairest reviews of BA maybe read through the Spring 2019 thread right around the exam date? Those of us paying most attention to this thread used it and failed.
The bolded is important. If you're the type that excels at straight memorization BA might be perfect for you.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:27 PM
CAS

I bought BA -- mainly for access to an unlimited source of computational problems -- but have been using copies of TIA and Casual Fellow from Fall 2018. I don't plan on using BA as my primary resource for study notes, but, instead, I will use it as a tool to help me focus my study time and identify the historical distribution of exam questions by syllabus topic, as well as to drill computational questions. I have been learning the material by watching the TIA videos and writing my own notes based on those.

With that said, I'm considering purchasing the Fall 2019 Casual Fellow guide, since it is *relatively* inexpensive and has good reviews, but I'm wondering if it is all that different from the Fall 2018 guide. Anyone have any comments? Would shelling out $375 be a waste of money if I already have the year-old guide? I know there are new readings for the Fall sitting, but they seem straightforward enough that I feel comfortable with just reading the source material itself and taking my own notes. I'm more concerned that other areas of the guide have been significantly revised since Fall 2018 and I'd be missing out on other content.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:13 PM
CAS

Some papers have been added/removed for this sitting. May be worth it. I'm using the current CF for what it's worth.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:59 AM
CAS

I have an old version of the Study Kit from CAS. Is the updated one needed? I don't even remember what source material came in the study kit, I have them all separated in other binders now and the CAS site is absolutely horrible for figuring this out.

Anyone have any insight?
Old 07-25-2019, 12:11 PM
CAS

Studying for 6

Dearie and the updated NAIC APPM are both new and only in the Study Kit.

(also it's $20)