Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > Health and Fitness Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 10-05-2019, 06:17 AM
Non-Actuary

Default Low-FODMAP Diet

Doctor suggested looking into at least swapping out some higher-FODMAP foods for lower ones to help with some issues. Anyone have experience with this? Did it work for you? Was it easy/hard?
I was thinking [that the AO is] more like Pocket Pool: You think you're driving your point home hard, until you realize that you're really only busting your own balls
Quote:
Originally Posted by William F. Buckley, Jr.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.
Spoiler:
Old 10-07-2019, 02:13 AM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

no first hand experience. looked into it for my son and it looks like it would be hard to implement. maybe I am just lazy, but gluten free seemed easier to me. I couldn't find a simple link to what is to be avoided and what is allowed (like GF has).
Old 10-07-2019, 08:05 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: San Pelligreno

Looks like you can only eat meats and green leafy stuff for the most part? That would be tough.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:58 AM

Naw, it's not quite that restrictive. I haven't done it, but a couple of good friends have. It has worked well for them, although both find it a little frustrating. It doesn't have to be all or nothing, just scaling back high fodmap foods helps. But one of them used to be mostly vegetarian and has given that up. The other deliberately ignores his diet for special occasions, and just accepts the consequences.

White rice and potatoes are low on fodmaps. So are most real cheeses (those low in lactose). It's not just meat and greens. And there are definitely lists out there.

It's silly to go "gluten free" if the problem is fodmaps. Yes, there's substantial overlap, and many people who are sensitive to fodmaps get some benefit, mostly due to cutting out wheat. But there are foods like beans and onions that have zero gluten but are high in fodmaps. Why not at least know what's likely to make you sick?

Last edited by Lucy; 10-07-2019 at 09:37 AM..
Old 10-07-2019, 09:06 AM

https://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/

This source is a little spammy, but has a decent list.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:36 AM

Celiac disease is fairly rare. The other thing to consider if you get some relief from a gluten-free diet is if you might be sensitive to wheat, which is a surprisingly common problem. Going "low wheat" is less restrictive than "gluten free" and is easy to do just reading food labels.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:29 PM
SOA AAA

For those people who don't go to doctors or don't keep up with the AOTD (Acronym of the Day):

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/fodmaps

Quote:
FODMAP stands for Fermentable Oligo-, Di-, Mono-saccharides and Polyols
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take-Home Message
FODMAPs are considered healthy for most people. However, a surprising number of people are sensitive to them, particularly those with IBS.

In fact, if you have IBS, there is about a 70% chance your digestive symptoms will improve on a low-FODMAP diet (9Trusted Source, 10Trusted Source, 16Trusted Source, 21Trusted Source, 22Trusted Source).

This diet may also benefit other conditions, but the research is limited.

The low-FODMAP diet has been tested and is considered safe for adults. However, be sure to choose foods high in fiber and calcium, consult reputable resources and rule out underlying disease.

Scientists are currently working on ways to predict who will respond to the diet. In the meantime, the best way to find out if it works for you is to test it out yourself.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 10-07-2019, 12:45 PM

The reason that quote talks about fiber is because a lot of dietary fiber is FODMAPs, so a low FODMAP diet tends to be lower in fiber than what you were eating previously.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:10 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Celiac disease is fairly rare. The other thing to consider if you get some relief from a gluten-free diet is if you might be sensitive to wheat, which is a surprisingly common problem. Going "low wheat" is less restrictive than "gluten free" and is easy to do just reading food labels.
I wasn't suggesting GF was a replacement for the low FODMAP. Not at all. Just that going GF seemed easier to do bc there is more awareness in out-of-the-home dining for GF than low-fodmap it seems.

(wife has celiac. son has been told to go low fodmap. I am tasked with looking shit up for everyone.)
Old 10-08-2019, 12:46 AM
CAS

I did Low Fodmap and variants to help with a specific type of IBS called SIBO. It was not particularly hard for me to adopt since I was already on basically low-carb diets for many years for health/weight reasons (South Beach, Paleo, etc.).